[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

suffering and pleasure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: karma.gif (21KB, 310x200px) Image search: [Google]
karma.gif
21KB, 310x200px
suffering and pleasure = s&p
behave is both mentally and physically

>A s&p happen to people in this life as a result of how they behave in this life. people have direct control over their s&p

>B s&p happen to people in this life as a result of how they behave in this life. people have indirect control (external phenomenon make s&p happen for them)

>C s&p happen to people after this life as a result of how they behave in this life. people have indirect control (external phenomenon make s&p happen for them)

>D s&p happen to people in this life regardless of how they behave in this life. people have some control

>E s&p happen to people in this life but they don't hold any value or "meaning"

with these 5 statements I've tried to represent different philosophies in their attitudes to suffering and pleasure

>A this would be some ultra stoicism but more accurately this is meant to represents the attitudes of people who believe in enlightenment as some kind of achievable state without suffering

>B this represents the beliefs like "what goes around comes around" and "people get what they deserve", the kind of karma that happens within a lifetime

>C this is about karma that affects you after you die or heaven and hell

>D this represents some stoicism and tragedy and in my opinion is the most realistic

>E some nihilists might think this way

there are a few things that might be interesting to discuss here:
- can these statements be improved to more accurately but still simplistically represent different philosophies?
- are there more ideas that can be represented by similar statements?
- how are these beliefs divided over people, which are common in what groups of people?
- what do you believe and why?

if you read through all that, thanks.
is it shit?
>>
>>1613072

>C s&p happen to people after
>after

Contradicts all the s&p during life which is illogical.

>D s&p happen to people in this life regardless of how they behave in this life. people have some control

If you do have control then how is it not through behavior?

All emotions including s&p are triggered by meaning, value and attachment to things.
So thats wrong as well.
>>
>>1613091
here are more accurate versions of C and D:

>C the s&p that happens to people after this life is a result of how they behave in this life. people have indirect control (external phenomenon make s&p happen for them)

>D some s&p happens to people in this life regardless of how they behave and some s&p happens to people in this life as a result of how they behave in this life. people have some control

but I'm not a nihilist and what you said about E didn't make much sense to me
are you saying there are emotions that are neither suffering nor pleasure?
>>
File: 1460323614212.png (182KB, 1198x1610px) Image search: [Google]
1460323614212.png
182KB, 1198x1610px
>>1613127
it is time for you to go ''phenomenology'' in meditating

also, emotions are not meant to be qualified directly by suffering or pleasure

you have affects (after contact, people translate vedana as feeling but it is wrong) (look up the definition of affect, effect and fact) and affects can be
pleasing
displeasing
not really pleasing nor really displeasing

after affects you have emotions, sentiments, delirium

sensation affection sentiment, inclination are the words that you must use on whatever you feel and think.
>>
>>1613127

First you'll have to make a distinction between happiness and pleasure, suffering and pain which you seem to be mixing up.
Then look up definitions of emotions like surprise, curiosity, excitement, reluctance, decisiveness, exhaustion and so on, or think of your experience of them and realize that they cannot be so narrowly fit into your binary categorization/conception of emotions as either one or the other, whatever 'one' and 'other' means to you.
>>
>>1613178
I don't think I care enough to go through different phenomenological theories
but thanks for engaging in discussion

out of curiosity,
If you were to make a statement about how you see suffering and pleasure and how it relates to our behavior
what would that statement look like?
>>
>>1613188
yeah I should have thought about that comment a bit longer
there are emotions that are
> not really pleasing nor really displeasing

by suffering and pleasure I simply meant things that feel good or bad, pleasing or displeasing.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.