[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy Reading Order Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1454336065675.jpg (21KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1454336065675.jpg
21KB, 600x600px
I'm interested in the following books. In what order should I read them? (I'll list them in the order I think I should read them). My interests are basically applying philosophy to daily life, being quite "zen" or content, relaxed, appreciation of art, and some existential woes such as acceptance of nothingness/death/possibility of no afterlife. I'd like to go heavy on the Greeks for a good foundation, Zen/Taosim, Nietzsche, Stoicism. Aquinas through Schopenhauer are sort of extras just to further appreciate philosophy overall and Nietzsche.

Letters From a Stoic by Seneca (currently reading)
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tsu
The Way of Zen by Alan Watts (I LOVED Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse)
(Looking for something about Socrates or Pre-Socratic here, recs welcome)
Plato Complete Works (can you recommend which specific works based on my interests?)
Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle (more Aristotle suggestions welcome)
Thomas Aquinas - Selected Writings (the Penguin classics one)
Descartes - Meditations on First Philosophy
Hume - Treatise on Human Nature
Kant - Critique of Pure Reason
Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Representation
Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov (I love philosophical fiction)
Nietzsche - BGE, TSZ
>>
>>1611715
Chronological order

Critique of Pure Reason is 900 pages and very difficult (at least for many).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

I'd reference this. You might want to read Hume's Enquiry instead. Maybe you should consult /lit/ too.
>>
book of mormon
>>
>>1611733
>Critique of Pure Reason is 900 pages

wtf I hate the pursuit of knowledge now
>>
>>1611781
My point is that it's 900 pages of very difficult material, some parts being simply obscure and their interpretation is debated.
>>
>>1611789
I'm very sorry but that post was a jest. I was teasing and seeing your reaction I now regret it entirely. I'm rather embarrassed seeing what poor taste my post was in next to your genuine willingness to contribute worthwhile posts with is both invaluable & appreciated. Please accept my humble apology.
>>
File: Kant.png (764KB, 615x980px) Image search: [Google]
Kant.png
764KB, 615x980px
>>1611804
Accepted.
>>
>>1611733
Thanks for the doc, much appreciated, seriously. But for my purposes do you think I should just use this guide to base the order in which I read, as well as the specific works of the key philosophers I choose read?

I'm really just looking for like 10-20 books to have on my shelf that will make me feel more zen, more relaxed, enjoy my life more, put to rest the few remain existential worries I have after reading Siddhartha.
>>
>>1611877
>But for my purposes do you think I should just use this guide to base the order in which I read, as well as the specific works of the key philosophers I choose read?

I suppose both. For your purposes you couldn't go terribly wrong. I would recommend the Epicureans too.
>>
>>1611715
>I'm interested in the following books. In what order should I read them?

1. Descartes - Meditations on First Philosophy
2. Thomas Aquinas - Selected Writings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INkvrBvrtwk

>when you live in a toilet
>>
>>1611715
>DA MEDIA IS DA BOTBOT DAT FEEDS US POOP
deep
>>
>>1611733
Should one really read The Iliad and The Odyssey?
Just read a few pages on preview, and it doesn't feel like I'd get something out of it after 500 pages
>>
>>1613905
Of course the foundation of the Western canon is worth reading.
>it doesn't feel like I'd get something out of it
Careful there m8, you're going full philistine
>>
>>1614070

Not an argument.
>>
>>1614073
Not him but
> the foundation of the Western canon is worth reading
is an argument you shit-for-brains molyneuxposting sped.
>>
>>1613905
>Just read a few pages on preview, and it doesn't feel like I'd get something out of it after 500 pages
Are you fucking serious? How stuck up and snooty is this answer? This would be absolutely fuckstupid to say about ANY text let alone the fucking Odyssey. You should probably give up on this whole "philosophy" endeavor if this is how you think. I know I'm being rude but actually I feel bad for you, because that's fucking pathetic.
>>
>>1614083

No.
That is a claim.
It is not an argument.
Try again you cock sucking brain dead mongrel.
>>
>>1614083

Cant even distinguish a statement from an argument.
What an idiot.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.