[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy Roman Empire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1464751779293.png (951KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1464751779293.png
951KB, 2000x1333px
Hey /his/,
I'm a really bored German and just wanted to ask, if you could hit me with some trivia about the Holy Roman Empire.
>>
Weak bait

1/10 made me reply
>>
>>1596206
It was neither holy, roman or an empire.
>>
It's the most holy and roman of all empires
>>
It was a bit holy, kind of Roman and partially an empire.
>>
I'm not familiar with the "Holy Roman Empire" - Judging by that pic, I wonder, is it some sort of archaic name for the

>
>
>

?
>>
>Western Romen Empire a.k.a. the Roman Empire falls
>Germanic peoples move in to establish kingdoms
>Vandals, Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Danes, Anglo-Saxons, Franks etc
>most powerful are Franks
>they had ties to Rome through their Catholic faith, the others were Arian Chiristans
>Franks establish Francia (French Reich)
>Francia fractures into France and Holy Roman Empire (modern Germany, Astria and north Italy basically)
>it was basically "Germany in the Middle Ages"

I prefer the "Holy Teutonic Reich", because it sounds better and less WE WUZ ROMANS
>>
>>
File: 1458686673106.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1458686673106.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>1596467
>that smug French face
>>
>>1596461
>Holy Teutonic Reich
this except all the immigration from birth rates from proto industrialisation from the west (france, england etc) pushed all the teuts back east of the jutland lul
>inb4 ottomans
>>
File: hreflagge.jpg (3MB, 3586x2792px) Image search: [Google]
hreflagge.jpg
3MB, 3586x2792px
>>1596206
The dynamics between the reichsstände, the kaiser and the pope caused relative weakness in foreign and internal politics but at the same time created huge cultural diversity within the german states
>>1596461
I prefer "holy roman empire of german nation" as it was partially called since the 15th century or even better "heiliges römisches reich deutscher nation"- since reich doesn't necessarily mean empire
>>
>>1597068
>reich doesn't necessarily mean empire
exactly
it's sad that there is no such word in English
"realm" comes closer, but they lack a proper reich/rike/rige/rijk/etc word
>>
>>1597089
rike and rich (pronounced as like Reich but with ch as in chair), both words native to english. Just not used often.
>>
>>1597162
interesting
too bad they're not in use, because I think it would clear up a lot of misconceptions
HRE clearly wasn't an 'empire' in the same sense as the British Empire
HRE was a collection of ethnically similar kingdoms, imperial cities, municipalities etc etc
no colonies or anything like that
>>
>>1597202
There are a lot of words that have cognates with those terms, we just stopped using them due to the french.

The closest word that can be described as Reich in used English is realm, and that doesn't fit too well.
I think it would be great to revive these words that haven't been in use for time, but I doubt they will catch on.
>>
>>1596206
it was holy realm closely cooperating with Popes, direct heir of Rome and the most powerful European medieval empire.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.