[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was police force a modern creation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160824_031032.jpg (103KB, 628x653px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160824_031032.jpg
103KB, 628x653px
Was police force a modern creation?
>>
>>1595129
>What is town guard, militia, personal guards
police in form of guards has existed for a long ass time
id think guards + local militia have done riot control in similar way police do now days
detective side used to be bit lacking, if someone didn't get caught red handed justice favored the aristocrats / nobles / knights
>source = my ass
>>
>>1595129
No dipshit it's not. Any civilization that has existed has done so by monopolizing violence within a defined area. It takes the individual responsibility away from specific decisions or actions. Violence should ultimately be inflicted only by the governing body as to enforce their position with the dual ability to uphold social contracts and the like. Therefore we can police

e.g.
>neighbors steal my car
>I go to get it back
>end up killing them/ getting killed

Vs.

>neighbors steal my car
>call the cops
>get car back one way or another
>but I don't die
>>
>>1595129
Archers were used to police french cities in the middle ages
>>
>>1595170
>>1595236
These are 180 degrees from the truth.

The government run police force is a modern invention.
>>
>>1595129
Depends on your definition of "modern."

The first organized state police forces showed up in Europe during the 1700s.

Prior to that, the following people did law enforcement work all over the globe.
>The army.
>The militia
>A posse of armed civilians.
>Hired Muscle.

Rome did have a police force but it was extremely short lived and limited only to the city of Rome.
>>
>>1595129
I can only input what I learned about in a recent uni course treating the "long 19th century". Our professor showed us at multiple points the rise of policing; the first example he gave us was in the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia, the province that Austria retained after the Napoleonic Wars.

The way he explained it was essentially that Austrian administrators, fearing a sort of nationalist or revolutionary uprising akin to what they had witnessed earlier in the war, provided for the establishment of secret police forces. I don't have the source on me, but the abstract in this article (http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=3330792) looks pretty promising.

To answer your question, if you consider nationalism a modern creation, then it follows that the police state is a modern creation.
>>
>>1595129
Not really. Ancient Rome had Vigiles which were basically law enforcement and fire fighters. Town guards might have also acted as a sort of law enforcement in places like Athens or Carthage.
>>
>>1595129
that gear looks fucking sick
>>
>>1595236
>neighbors steal my car
>I go to get it back
>end up killing them/ getting killed
This is literally exactly how the law worked in rome.
>>
>>1595129
if by modern you mean the kingdom of babylon then yes
>>
>>1595236
>social contracts
>not modern
>>
Athens used slave archers to police their polis.
>>
>>1595129
from my dictionary:
>po·lice1 W1S1 /pE5li:s/ n [plural]
>[Date: 1400-1500; Language: French; Origin: Late Latin politia 'government', from polites; POLITIC]
>>
>>1597339
This. There were obviously precursors to modern police, but positions like medieval baliff were often unpaid and a lot more informal. It is around 1700-1850 we see modern policing develop in Europe. Early on in that period, police did many other civic duties like sweeping streets that we wouldn't consider worth their time today.
>>
>>1598318
>sure is a nice house you got there...would be a shame if it...burned down
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.