[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy Intro Reading List Recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (220KB, 2048x1294px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220KB, 2048x1294px
Hey guys I'm getting into philosophy and after reading a few general philosophy guides (Philiosophy 101 by Paul Kleinman mainly) I've gathered a few books based on my interest. Here is the order in which I plan on reading them. I'm mainly interested in actionable philosophy that I can use in daily life, happiness, embracing emptiness, existentialism.

>Plato - The Republic
>Aristotle - Nicomachean Ethics
>Kant - Critique of Pure Reason
>Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Rep
>Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>Nietzsche - Beyond Good and Evil

Depending how they go I'll decide what to focus on further. What am I in for? Any prerequisite reading I should consider for any of these? Any additions you'd suggest based on my interests?
>>
How is Kant? I've heard his philosophy embraces religion.
>>
>>1589566
I was hesitant to get his Critique of Pure Reason because I'm uninterested and even don't agree with the short summaries I have heard about it. But I keep seeing a lot of hype about him, and saw how he influenced many other great philosophers after him. With my respect for that, plus my awareness that I know very little about philosophy and my opinions may not be based on sound logic, I figured I would be open minded and pick up what some regard as the single most acclaimed philosophical text of all time that is his Critique of Pure Reason.
>>
>>1589566
Kant doesn't so much "embrace religion" as he attempts to develop a philosophical framework that supports Christian morality which doesn't rely on mysticism etc...

Needless to say he failed, but his effort was admirable.

There's a pretty dank meme with Wojak as Kant and Pepe as Schopenhauer that basically sums things up.
>>
>>1589547
Hegel wrote the first history of philosophy as we now understand it: a chronical theoretical discourse circling around the same basicperennial questions.

He was the consummation of Occidental philosophy, and attempted to make good on his claim that truth is to be found in totality (the "Zeitgeist"),throught reconciliation and synthesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5JGE3lhuNo
>>
File: 1428263070379.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1428263070379.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>jumping from Aristotle straight to Kant
>>
File: metaphysicalclub.jpg (25KB, 236x376px) Image search: [Google]
metaphysicalclub.jpg
25KB, 236x376px
>I'm mainly interested in actionable philosophy that I can use in daily life
The Metaphysical Club - Louis Menand
The Essential Peirce Volumes I and II
The Will to Believe - William James
Varieties of Religious Experience - William James
Art as Experience - John Dewey
Reconstruction in Philosophy - John Dewey
The Philosophy of Loyalty - Josiah Royce
Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity - Richard Rorty
Time, Will, and Purpose - Randall Auxier
Truth, Politics and Morality - Cheryl Misak
>>
File: Philosophy.jpg (3MB, 4030x4030px) Image search: [Google]
Philosophy.jpg
3MB, 4030x4030px
Here you go, matey.

Perhaps start with Heraclitus and then just skip to Wittgenstein, dropping in on Spinoza on the way?
>>
>>1589566
>>1589684
>>1589696
This is why you should really have someone teach you philosophy. If you don't see how Kantian idealism lead to every modern political philosophy besides MAYBE reactionary monarchism you don't understand Kant.
>>
>>1589751
>includes Stoicism but omits Seneca
pure fucking garbage
>>
OP here

>>1589759
This is good feedback, what do you recommend? Any online courses?

>>1589751
I like these reading list images or whatever, except this looks massive. I'm not looking to get a Ph.D in philosophy, just enjoy life more, understand myself better. Is there a shorter version of this? Or could you highlight the bare bones essentials?
>>
>>1589881
>what do you recommend?
I dunno about online courses, I'm sure there are some good ones that could replace a professor guiding you through it. The key is that the 'cannon' of western philosophy is all interrelated, each 'big name' supports or refutes a previous 'big name,' and this progresses thru history, simultaneously influencing the political climate of continental Europe and, thus, the world. Your intro reading list is good except I would add some Presocratics (Parmenides is crucial), and after Aristotle do Aquinas, and then Descartes and Hume. Only after those should you do Schopenhauer and then Nietzsche/the existentialists.
>>
>>1589974
This is great, thank you. So is the following list a pretty solid way to go (reading the one or two key works from each of the following philosophers):
The presocratic you named
Socrates' (via Plato I guess)
Plato
Aristotle
Aquinas
Descartes
Hume
Kant
Schopenhauer
Nietzsche

I read Letters From a Stoic and loved it, I have Meditations by Aurelius. I also have Tao Te Ching. Where would something like stoicism play into this? Or zen/Taoism?
>>
>>1589547
Stirner, actually being serious here.
>>
>>1590317
Those are all good things to be familiar with. Stoicism goes along with the Presocratics and Plato and the Taoist stuff you can just stick in anywhere before Descartes, but without also at least reading Confucius it's not gonna make a whole lot of sense on it's face.

Also you could drop Schopenhauer desu. It's cool and everything but there are way more important people you could read if you're really trying to condense, especially if you're also gonna read Nietzsche. I would consider forgetting Schopenhauer and adding like Hobbes or Rousseau after Descartes
>>
>>1589547
I'm reading Bertrand Russells' "Problems of Philosophy" right now. It's a pretty good introduction to many of the concepts and arguments in western philosophy and also recommends some writers you can read from there if you're interested.
>>
OP, start with commentary ABOUT Wittgenstein.

But not his early work, about his later one "Philosophical Investigations". It's a good place to start because Wittgenstein recognizes the problems of philosophy (namely language).

I suggest Marie Mcginn's book on Wittgenstein.
>>
>>1589743
read peter singer and ethicists in general
He talks about daily/career applications of utilitarianism (effective altruism) as well as its use in overcoming angst
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.