[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shock Therapy 1989-1991

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (59KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 1136x640px
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_therapy_(economics)

Why did it work in some states (Chile/Czechoslovakia) and fail in others (Russia/Ukraine/Belarus)?

What does the gradual liberalization approach of 10%+ China/Poland mean for this?
>>
>>1583453
Well
>>
>>1583453
Well
>>
>>1583453
>A
>FUCKING
>GASOLINE
>STATION
>>
Communism is the equivalent of just pooping directly into your water supply.

There are lasting effects, even if you stop.

Also, corruption was so endemic in Soviet society that the privatizations mostly meant well connected scoundrels seizing large amounts of the economy.

Finally, the Russians waited until the old system was already collapsing to make any real effort towards change.
>>
>>1583742
That only answered part of the question, and it was a bad answer.
>>
>>1584440
What do you want, exactly?

Russia spent 73 years trying to impose a broken, cancerous system on their society.

They then attempted to undo all of the damage at the very last second, and suffered a total societal collapse that they predictably blamed on their last ditch efforts to save their country, rather than the fundamental flaws that made those last ditch efforts necessary.
>>
>>1584460
>rather than the fundamental flaws that made those last ditch efforts necessary.

The Soviet Union in the 80's was arguably better for living standards than the current state of the CIS countries today.
>>
>>1583453
I'd be more interested on why it worked in the few places it did to be honest. 70 years of communism and then sudden economic and government collapse followed by a completely different order emerging, it was going to be a horrible mess no matter what and I'm actually suprised it wasn't worse in the end. Probably the fear of several rogue statelets armed with weapons that were soviet a year ago emerging was what compelled the US and friends to at least try to help manage the change.
>>
>>1583453
1 up 3 down

capital=/=liquidible
>>
>>1585187
If by the "CIS countries today" you mean Russia, the five stans, Belarus and Moldova, you would be correct.

But yeah, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Russia has spend 75 years sowing salt into their fields, and barely 25 trying to actually grow anything.
>>
>>1585253
>Russia has spend 75 years sowing salt into their fields

But they literally didn't. The USSR in 1988 was 10x better than the USSR of 1920.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.