[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Austria unite with protestants (Prussia) and orthodox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: poland_partitions-eng_590.jpg (80KB, 590x395px) Image search: [Google]
poland_partitions-eng_590.jpg
80KB, 590x395px
Why did Austria unite with protestants (Prussia) and orthodox (Russia) to attack another catholic country (PLC)? What did Pope think about this?
>>
>>1578187
The pope was most likely fucking little children and didnt give a fuck.
>>
>>1578187
>Why did Austria unite with protestants (Prussia) and orthodox (Russia) to attack another catholic country (PLC)?

Because they saw an opportunity for aggrandizement.

>What did Pope think about this?

Didn't give a fuck.
>>
>>1578187
Who cares about poles?
>>
"i don't give a fuck"
-Clement XIV
"what?! catholics working together with orthodox and protestants. WOW such heresy. I need to end thi- oh nevermind it already ended"
-Pius VI
>>
>>1578187
If Austria didn't take it, Prussia or Russia would take it.
>>
>>1578246
t. 1/64 german
>>
>>1578667
And Austrian rule was generally more benevolent on the Poles than Prussian and Russian rule due to religious ties I think.
>>
>>1578677
Habsburgs specifically saw them above petty ethnic conflict. They also were reluctant and downright unwilling to use violence to suppress nationalism which simultaneously increased loyalty to the Kaiser and desire of autonomy. It's unique in that the nationalist movements were promoting a direct relationship with Kaiser thus becoming part of Kaiser's realm as an autonomous entity rather than part of a coherent state with other ethnic populations.

I think it could work great if not for WW1.
>>
>>1578735
It's a pity that people bring up the Hapsburg realm as an argument for why Multi cultural states fail, and I am not saying that in defense of multi culti.
Just think the Austro-Hungarians didn't really fail more than nearby Russia or Germany.
>>
>>1578851
That's largely post war nationalist viewpoint, especially by British who were arguing for self-determination and showing it as a reason for dismantling of Austria-Hungary.

More recent historians often argue that without a war Habsburg state would likely keep being a coherent state for foreseeable future because nationalist movements did not aim for separate states and different ethnicities all contributed to war effort.
>>
>>1578941
Good post desu.
>>
>>1578677
>And Austrian rule was generally more benevolent on the Poles than Prussian and Russian rule due to religious ties I think.

No, it wasn't. Until the establishment of Austria-Hungary, the Austrian rule was actually the most despotic.
>>
>>1578958
What are you talking about senpai. It was Hungarians after establishment of Austria-Hungary that started to Magyarise and overall started a campaign of cultural unification. Before that Austrians didn't care at all what language their subjects spoke or what culture they practised as long as they were loyal to the state.

It was a despotic state, that much is true but it wasn't trying to erase culture and language of populations like Frederick for example tried with Poles or Russians with basically everyone.
>>
>>1579026

despotic rule =/= attempts to erase language or culture

Despotic rule means things like strict censorship and throwing people into jails.
>>
>>1579044
Yes I know. I was arguing against the statement that Austria was worse to minorities because it was despotic.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.