[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prosthetics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Chlodowig King of the Franks.jpg (18KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
Chlodowig King of the Franks.jpg
18KB, 236x314px
Do we know if anyone in the Migration Period or Early Middle Ages had a prosthetic hand?
>>
File: Nixon Thumbs Up B&W.jpg (7KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
Nixon Thumbs Up B&W.jpg
7KB, 195x259px
>>1573494
Herodotus (4th cent. BCE) tells a story about a guy, Hegesistratus, who cut off his own foot to escape the Spartans. He had it replaced with a wooden one.
>>
>>1573562

A thousand years early, but thanks all the same. That's pretty interesting, I wonder how realistic his wooden leg was.
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
>>1573494
Sorry, you said hands.
Pliny the Elder (23-79 CE) tells about Roman General Marcus Sergius (c. 200 BCE). His right hand was cut off and he had an iron one made so he could hold his shield.
>>
There was a Byzantine Emperor with a gold prosthetic nose. maiming people was a pretty common way of disqualifying people from rulership. Usually when someone was overthrown they'd be blinded, maybe castrated. But the guys who overthrew Justinian II cut off his nose, which was apparently not enough to stop him from coming back with a vengeance later on
>>
>>1573572

Nice. Wouldn't iron rust and also poison his stump? I can't see it being very healthy, though I suppose if he only used it in battle it could work.
>>
File: a history of the history channel.jpg (437KB, 970x1246px) Image search: [Google]
a history of the history channel.jpg
437KB, 970x1246px
>>1573494
I was zapping channels and ended up watching an ancient ayyliens documentary where they claimed that some Germanic deity had a golden prosthetic hand "that worked just like a real hand" and COULD THIS MEAN IT WAS A BIONIC IMPLANT ??!!?? STAY TUNED
>>
>>1573582

Yeah, Justinian, he had his nose cut off.
>>
>>1573584

Which Germanic Deity? Tiw had only one hand, but he certainly didn't have a prosthetic.
>>
>>1573583
I image it was more like a gauntlet, with a bit of cloth over the nub, then the nub slides into the prosthetic
>>
>>1573591

Ah, that would make more sense, yes.
>>
>>1573589
I wasn't paying attention because I don't really know or care about Germanic mythology, but after checking I'm pretty sure they were talking about Thor and insisting that his iron glove was actual a prosthetic hand. Yeah.
>>
>>1573620

Sounds like the usual crazy nationalists.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.