[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finnic Pre-History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: finno_ugric_flag.jpg (36KB, 737x433px) Image search: [Google]
finno_ugric_flag.jpg
36KB, 737x433px
Since there's so many of these threads about hyperwars which don't really belong here and should be deleted, I thought there should be at least one where there's actual information because a "high level of discourse is expected". I won't discuss genetics and such but if you have questions about that I can probably answer.

Finnic people refers to the Balto-Finnic(Finnish, Estonian, Karelian, Vepsian) and sometimes also the Volga-Finnic(Mari/Mordvin) and the Permian(Udmurt, Komi) and Saami.
Ugric languages are Khanty, Mansi and Hungarian. These combined form the Finno-Ugric family which together with the Samoyedic languages of Siberia(mainly) form the Uralic family.
Despite extremely large internal differences, the Uralic family is considered by mainstream linguists to be younger than the Indo-European family and there is a debate among linguists about the point of origin. Some suggest Western Siberia while others think it's European Russia.
Whichever it is, Finno-Ugric languages are more influenced by Indo-European languages(Finnic more than Ugric) than the Samoyedic are and this dates back to the very beginning of the branch.
Finnic languages in particular seem to have had a lot of contact with Fatyanovo-Balanovo culture west of the Volga which was an eastern extension of the Corded Ware culture that is thought to have emerged in Poland after an initial migration from the steppe by the Yamna people who are thought to be Proto-Indo-Europeans.
Volga-Finnic languages actually occupied the former area of it along with the Baltic Galindians prior to Slavic movements.
For more information see https://www.academia.edu/20252178/The_Language_Contact_Situation_in_Prehistoric_Northeastern_Europe
>>
So now that we've established who exactly Finnic people are and come from, the question is how and when did they get to the Baltic region?
The date for Balto-Finnic arrival seems to be about 1000-800 BC with Saami having arrived prior to that.
There are these axes called the Akozino-Mälaren type which were found in the Volga and lake Mälaren in Sweden which were made with copper from Ural.
Their dating corresponds with the divergence of Balto-Finnic languages from the closest Volga-Finnic language Mordvin(which is actually 2 languages but nevermind that) and the Tarand Grave culture of Estonia and to a lesser extent Finland and Sweden, which seems to have been a combination of Volga and Scandinavian influences.
I can't really explain it better than that, read "Formation of Proto-Finnic – an archaeological scenario from the BronzeAge / Early Iron Age" from page 63 on here http://www.oulu.fi/sites/default/files/content/CIFU12-PlenaryPapers.pdf
>>
>>1571942
Ive heard that the finnish dish mämmi is similiar to a ancient persian dish. Is this true?
>>
>>1571962

Yes it's similar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samanu
>>
>>1571976
Preparation process doesn't sound similar at all
>>
Did Proto-Uralic evolve out of anything else?

Was Proto-Uralic the first language these people spoke then?
>>
Did Finnish paganism stem from a Uralic religion and how much did this have in common with other Uralics?

How was Finnish society structured, and what were the titles for leaders and warriors?
>>
>>1571945
>So now that we've established who exactly Finnic people are

have we? I thought this is still a subject of discussion in academia
>>
>>1575124

Of course something came before Proto-Uralic but comparative linguistics can't tell us anything about it. There have been attempts to link PU to various other language families like Turkic but there doesn't seem to be much substance to them.

>>1575237

Finnish paganism seems to be primarily not Uralic origin but a localized version of the Indo-European pantheon with a main thunder god and so on. Actually the word used to refer to it(Perkele) has cognates in Sanskrit(Parjanya) and Baltic Lithuanian(Perkuns).
There are plenty of unique elements also of course.

Finnish society was structured around villages which co-operated with other ones belonging to the same tribe against enemy tribes which were usually also Finnish or Finnic.
Title for leader was kuningas which is a Proto-Germanic loan.

>>1575550

I meant that Finnic people are not Pre-IE(at least in most places), are from the Volga and have more of a mixed Uralic and Indo-European culture compared to Ugrics and Samoyedics.
>>
>>1575963
The thunder/sky god Ukko wasn't supposedly the original sky god of the Finnish pantheon anyway but Seppo Ilmarinen who was also the /r9k/ smith god and later got sidelined from the sky association, in the myths he literally built the sky dome
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.