[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christopher Columbus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (101KB, 620x794px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 620x794px
What are reasons people give in defense of pic related
>>
If it wasn't for him you wouldn't be drinking coffee right now
>>
He thought like literally everybody else at the time though.
>>
>>1571793
No he didn't. He actually was imprisoned for being violently cruel.
>>
>>1571799
Claims which were false.
>>
>>1571799
He was cruel, but on the other hand I take the stories about the natives also with a grain of salt. The idea that the native americans were pacifist tree huggers is just hard to believe for me, even modern day natives throw spears at helicopters.
>>
>>1571814
>I don't like it so it must be false
Literally no one denied it was true, including Columbus's supporters. He was pardoned by the crown because he got them a brand new colony, not because it never happened.

Even in 1492, parading a woman naked through the streets and cutting her tongue out because she said you weren't a nobleman is fucking psychotic.
>>
File: Hernan cortes.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Hernan cortes.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
>>1571781
Even if Columbus was never born, it would not have made a difference. Some other merciless, hungry, tenacious opportunist would have done the same thing at one point or another
>>
>>1571955
>>1571955
in a way we've been in a 500 year bubble based off the back of new world colonisation. and it will probably crumble when the united states of america ceases to exist

pax
>>
>>1571781

He did very little wrong. Discovering America was a disaster for the Americans, but that was going to be the case no matter who discovered them, or even if they discovered the rest of the world first. Disease is an unforgiving bitch.
>>
>>1571955

An egg of Columbus or Columbus' egg (Italian: uovo di Colombo [ˈwɔːvo di koˈlombo]) refers to a brilliant idea or discovery that seems simple or easy after the fact. The expression refers to an apocryphal story in which Christopher Columbus, having been told that discovering the Americas was inevitable and no great accomplishment, challenges his critics to make an egg stand on its tip. After his challengers give up, Columbus does it himself by tapping the egg on the table to flatten its tip.
>>
>>1571990
Not exactly sure what your point is
>>
>>1571791
someone else would've discovered it
>>
>>1572019

>Columbus was dining with many Spanish nobles when one of them said: 'Sir Christopher, even if your lordship had not discovered the Indies, there would have been, here in Spain, which is a country abundant with great men knowledgeable in cosmography and literature, one who would have started a similar adventure with the same result.' Columbus did not respond to these words but asked for a whole egg to be brought to him. He placed it on the table and said: 'My lords, I will lay a wager with any of you that you are unable to make this egg stand on its end like I will do without any kind of help or aid.' They all tried without success and when the egg returned to Columbus, he tapped it gently on the table breaking it slightly and, with this, the egg stood on its end. All those present were confounded and understood what he meant: that once the feat has been done, anyone knows how to do it.
>>
>>1572019

Pretty sure he was agreeing with you.

>>1572027
>>1571791

Coffee isn't from the Americas.
>>
>>1572033
Pretty neat expression. Thanks for posting.
>>
>>1571988
>He did very little wrong

t. guy who knows only what he was taught in 2nd grade
>>
>>1572033
>that once the feat has been done, anyone knows how to do it.
But Vikings (inb4 snowniggers) had traveled to the Americas entire centuries before Columbus with much meeker technology and nowhere near the logistics supply
>>
>>1572050
The Vikings kept it secret though
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.