[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Noah's Ark actually happen or is it a metaphor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 15

File: noahs-ark-zoom.jpg (75KB, 470x240px) Image search: [Google]
noahs-ark-zoom.jpg
75KB, 470x240px
Did Noah's Ark actually happen or is it a metaphor?
>>
It happened. I was there.
>>
>>1568750
How about neither
>>
It's a metaphor unless we find evidence it existed, in which case I always believed it existed.
>>
Supposedly rehashed ripoff story that was circling around for centuries that was based upon some real-life flood that happened in mesopotamia.
>>
>>1568750

It's neither a historical even nor metaphor, but instead a mythological legend. It's about as real as any of Thor's or Zeus' adventures.
>>
File: panbab.png (3MB, 6644x1600px) Image search: [Google]
panbab.png
3MB, 6644x1600px
>>1568750
Nope, Gilgamesh's flood did though.
>>
>>1568750
>Did Noah's Ark actually happen
Yes

t. Augustine
>>
>>1568796
This guy is correct.
>>
>>1568750

Happened.
>>
>>1568815
I kinda feel this is bullshit, Augustine was a pretty sharp guy. If he said it was real, he probably only meant in a symbolic manner
>>
>>1568808

Same flood, different storyteller.
>>
>>1568829
So you're smarter than he was, and you know what he really meant, not what he just said.

Truly an honor to post with you.
>>
Neither. It's just incorrect.
>>
File: dates.png (48KB, 654x411px) Image search: [Google]
dates.png
48KB, 654x411px
>>1568833
Yeah, no.
>>
>>1568848
Yeah, yes.

You know Noah appears in the Epic of Gilgamesh, yes?
>>
>>1568829
No, he thought it was a real, physical thing. He argued that since it was measured in Egyptian cubits rather than Latin, it was bigger than people thought, and could in fact hold all the animals on Earth.
>>
>There are people on /his/ right now who believe that a bronze-age agrarian built a boat that could house the approximately 8.7 million extant species on Earth

A feat we can't do today with modern technology, kek.

>There are people browsing /his/ right now who not only believe this story, but believe it explains the extinctions of various prehistoric flora and fauna, even the ones that were fucking aquatic and could easily survive underwater for 40 days
>>
>>1568855
>You know Noah appears in the Epic of Gilgamesh, yes?
Kek, no. Holy shit.
>>
>>1568857
As does a feasibility study written on the matter, and still for sale on Amazon.com
>>
>>1568866
See, that's where you're wrong. You only need about 20,000 different kinds of animals to produce what we see today.

You autists get so caught up in "species" that you forget your own evolutionary religion.
>>
>>1568868

They call him Utnapishtim.
>>
>>1568876
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>1568871

Except that most people who believe in the Great Flood story also deny evolution.
>>
>>1568880
I wonder what you're like irl

After one fight, this nemesis—Enkidu—became best friends with Gilgamesh. The two set off to win fame by going on many dangerous adventures in which Enkidu is eventually killed. Gilgamesh then determines to find immortality since he now fears death. It is upon this search that he meets Utnapishtim, the character most like the Biblical Noah.

In brief, Utnapishtim had become immortal after building a ship to weather the Great Deluge that destroyed mankind. He brought all of his relatives and all species of creatures aboard the vessel. Utnapishtim released birds to find land, and the ship landed upon a mountain after the flood. The story then ends with tales of Enkidu's visit to the underworld.
>>
>>1568881
Yes, people who love the truth hate lies.

And people who love lies forget to wind them back 4600 years so as to account for the parents of all that we see today, not the variety of all that we see today.
>>
>>1568898
you are an actual moron, what are you even trying to do?
>>
>>1568880
subhuman eternalis, enjoy slave morality
>>
>>1568908
Demonstrate that Noah and Utnapishtim are one and the same person, the central figure surviving a very real global flood as told by two very different peoples, the Hebrews and the Babylonians.
>>
>>1568915
That explicitly means noah is not in gilgamesh's flood though you twat. It means Utnapishtim is in the bible.

Kill yourself you fucking moron.

You implied Noah came first.
>>
>>1568881
No, what he's claiming is that there is an arbitrary distinction between "micro-evolution" and "macro-evolution", with " micro" being within a "kind", which is extremely vaguely and arbitrarily defined. What is really crazy is that somehow all these 20,000 kinds somehow rapidly evolved into the millions of species we have today within a few thousand years, ironically more rapid than the " macro-evolution" they reject
>>
>muh metaphor
METAPHOR FOR WHAT YOU DUMB NIGGER?! You can't just excuse every dumb shit the bible says and is later on proven false with muh metaphor! Words have meaning! What is it a metaphor about?
>>
>>1568915
So where is all the physical, geological evidence of all life being wiped out and the Earth being repopulated only ~5000 years ago? It would be fucking everywhere.

Holy shit, using this thread as a metric, this board is made of retards. Of course there are multiple flood stories, it was a region that flooded a lot, and Babylonian and Jewish culture overlapped at some point.

It doesn't prove anything but that there were two stories written. Find the fossil and sediment records of a global extinction just a few thousand years ago.

I'll wait.
>>
>>1568796
/thread

>>1568750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL2fNnllrAw
>>
>>1568940
>So where is all the physical, geological evidence of all life being wiped out and the Earth being repopulated only ~5000 years ago? It would be fucking everywhere.

There are actually theories which suggest this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1297765/Last-humans-Earth-survived-Ice-Age-sheltering-Garden-Eden-claim-scientists.html

Although not a flood theory - many scientists do believe that at one stage in human history we were cut down to a few hundred people living in one area. Of course not every scientist believes this and there is little proof past our lack of genetic diversity to suggest this.

But's it's not a far out idea.
>>
>>1568940

Not the guy you're arguing with, but I think his point was that the writers of the old testament appropriated the story from the Babylonians, not that Noah was a real person.
>>
>>1568750
It happened, but not to the scale Ken Ham thinks.

There truly was a "global" flood but not a global flood. The known world was the entire world thus if it was flooded, the whole planet was.
>>
>>1568924

Is English your first language?

Noah = Utnapishtim
>>
>>1568927
Breeding happens rapidly. So does adaptation. So does natural selection.
>>
>>1568963
That still implies Noah is the original. You moron. It implies Noah is original.

Kek. Back to school with you.
>>
>>1568940
It's literally all over the earth.

The geological column is not accreted layers of the earth from the top to the bottom.

It's mudslides hardened into rocks; sedimentary rock; sediment from the Flood.

It's in every river delta on earth; no more than 4700 years of accumulated silt.

It's in the entire fossil record; small things at the bottom of the ocean killed, but preserved, and found on the tops of mountains.

It's in any population calculator you want to use, putting in 3 breeding pairs 4600 years ago at known growth rates (you get about 7 billion people).

It's everywhere.

Open your eyes.
>>
>>1568955
Ah, I quoted the wrong post.

>>1568940
Was for >>1568903
Well, and for anyone who actually thinks this happened.
>>
>>1568958
Do you understand that water seeks its own level?

Do you understand that the water was higher than the highest mountain peaks at the time, about 6000 ft?

Do you understand the water stood for over a year?

You people never cease to amaze me. So ignorant, so arrogant, so cocksure you know everything.
>>
>>1568976

Oh fuck, I think I quoted the wrong post too which makes this whole thing even more confusing. My bad.
>>
>>1568968
I stated it directly. Noah is the original.

In the language of another people, they did not call Noah "Noah". They called Noah "Utnapishtim".

You're really fucking stupid for someone calling other people stupid.
>>
>>1568782
I found a plank of wood on a mountain. Does that count?

Also I found a wheel that might have belonged to a chariot in the Red Sea.
>>
>>1568984
xD, you're a fucking moron.
>can date bible stories
>cannot date Gilgamesh tablets
>although known to be a lot older than the earliest biblical texts
>therefore Noah = the character in Gilgamesh
Seriously, just stop posting.
>>
>>1568984
I think what he meant was that Noah cannot be the original but Utnapishtim because the latters storyteller is older.
>>
>>1569000
Oldest Gilgamesh tablet is older than Moses.

So what?

Flood's older than Moses too.
>>
>>1568984
Utnapishtim's story is much older if we assume that both stories are based on one true event then Utnapishtim's story is closer to the truth, with a whole Pantheon of gods
>>
>>1569003
Flood happened 4600 years ago.

4000 years ago, the Babylonians wrote it down.

3500 years ago, the Hebrews wrote it down.

It's the same flood.
>>
>>1569010
Utnaptishtim's story is not older than the flood.

Noah's story is not older than the flood.

This "whoever wrote it down first must be talking about an older event" is nonsense.
>>
I'm new to /his/tory.
Can someone help me know what is shitposting and what is serious in this thread?

I lost track of what is what right after >>1568796 posted.
>>
File: Slide206.jpg (56KB, 397x307px) Image search: [Google]
Slide206.jpg
56KB, 397x307px
>>1568982
You know they found seashells and clams at the top of Mt. Everest?

I mean it's a readily accepted scientific fact that the sea levels were much, much higher than they are.
>>
>>1569010
And add to that "whoever wrote it down first must be closer to the truth".

God told Moses what happened.

God knows exactly what happened.

If you want to believe the Babylonians, you are free to do so, of course, but this idea that older is more true is absurd. Gilgamesh still doesn't go all the way back to the event.
>>
>>1568982
I'm saying the proliferation of flood myths grants credence but the actual disaster would've been drastically smaller than most modern interpretations. Or to put it simply:
>something happened, the end

I take it you suck Ken Ham's dick?
>>
>>1569030
The more logical conclusion is that the mountains are much younger than the geologists figure, and that the world is changed catastrophically far more than it is changed incrementally.
>>
>>1568750
Well there was definitely flooding in the Levant and Mesopotamia in general. My guess is that some people survived on boats and then that legend was transmitted around the area and the Jews colored it for their purposes.
So mostly yes
>>
>>1569032
Are you a faggot? You suck whoever's dick you believe is telling the truth?
>>
>>1568908
>>1568968
>>1569000
>>1568924
>kek, moron
>kill yourself
>fucking moron
>back to school
>you fucking idiot
Stop responding to this troll.
>>
>>1569038
So your guess based on your opinion dictated by your mood is what we should go on.
>>
>>1569038
Both, in that it happened in a quasi-mythical sense, but should be taken metaphorically. We have our Greco-roman predecessors for this convenient method of belief.
>>
File: image.gif (25KB, 234x424px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
25KB, 234x424px
>>1569030
You do know about how the Himilayas work right?
>>
>>1568974
>It's in every river delta on earth; no more than 4700 years of accumulated silt.
(citation needed)
>It's in the entire fossil record; small things at the bottom of the ocean killed, but preserved, and found on the tops of mountains.
Sure, but they are much older than 4600 years.

>It's in any population calculator you want to use, putting in 3 breeding pairs 4600 years ago at known growth rates (you get about 7 billion people).
(CITATION NEEDED)

Even if you do get 7 billion, it doesn't account for the genetic diversity of JUST HUMANS today. It sure doesn't account for the diversity of the entire biosphere of Earth.

How, in 4600 years, did even 20,000 "kinds" spread from the desert to all over the Earth?

Do you know how long it takes species to spread across continents?
How did everything get from the Middle East to the America's? The North Pole?

Did Noah make the rounds, dropping a handful of "kinds" all around the globe?

Did he plant corn in South America, and just forget to bring it back to the Old World?

It takes much, much, MUCH longer than 4600 years for animals to spread like that.
>>
All of The Old Testament is bullshit.

Next question.
>>
>>1569022
One story being older makes it more likely to be more accurate than the other. There is no other information to go off of to show whether one used more accurate sources, if they even used sources
>>
>>1569042
I'm not a liberal. You don't combat free speech with censure. You combat free speech with more free speech.

He showed his ass; people can judge him for themselves. And if they hold his opinions, they can do some second guessing of their own.
>>
>>1568750
What's the current academic consensus?
If they say it happened, it happened.
If they say it didn't, t'was but a metaphor.
>>
File: dates.png (92KB, 662x610px) Image search: [Google]
dates.png
92KB, 662x610px
>>1569006
Holy shit, you're delusional. You can date the Christian flood, that's the point you fucking moron.

You cannot date Gilgamesh's flood, the writings are older than the Christian fucking timeline. Kill yourself, Christian scum.

>As you can see from Table 1, the year in which the Flood came was 1656 AM1 (Anno Mundi – “year of the world”). From the rest of the Old Testament and other well-documented historical events we understand that creation, as calculated by Ussher, was about 4004 BC. So with a little more math we can calculate the second date.
>>
>>1569031
Moses didn't write Genesis. Hebrew wasn't even a language when Moses supposedly lived.
>>
>>1569049
There is no "age" quality; people have tested things radiometrically and you believe them. I don't. I go with helium diffusion.

Go to a population calculator. Google one. Put in 6 people at any known population growth rate you'd like.

For confirmation, if you think humans have been on the planet for 100,000 years, put in 2 to begin with, and see the calculator spin up to an infinite number of people now.
>>
>>1569049
>Even if you do get 7 billion, it doesn't account for the genetic diversity of JUST HUMANS today. It sure doesn't account for the diversity of the entire biosphere of Earth.
>How, in 4600 years, did even 20,000 "kinds" spread from the desert to all over the Earth?
>Do you know how long it takes species to spread across continents?
>How did everything get from the Middle East to the America's? The North Pole?
>Did Noah make the rounds, dropping a handful of "kinds" all around the globe?
>Did he plant corn in South America, and just forget to bring it back to the Old World?
>It takes much, much, MUCH longer than 4600 years for animals to spread like that.

Robust DNA, Pangea, ocean currents, floating biomats.
>>
>>1569054
Tell that to 1,300,000,000 muslims who think their leader 600 years after the fact knows more than the eyewitnesses about the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.
>>
>>1569059
I already said the earliest Babylonian writings for Gilgamesh precede Moses at 3500 years ago; however, they are obviously between the Flood 4600 years ago and Moses.

First does not mean more right; first does not mean more accurate; first when it contradicts God's Word is flat out wrong.

Besides, the oral tradition of the good people on earth, as contrasted to the Babylonians, is far more reliable than the demon worshipers'.
>>
>>1569060
He did, and it was.
>>
>>1568967
>breeding
Breeding works fast because you artificially select individuals with exceptional traits from a large gene pool and then their descendants reproduce only together so they form one purebred lineage very distinct from the others.
So yes, by taking only one pair, Noah would have been (in)breeding new breeds and species. Except only one breed, not thousands. If anything, genetic diversity was destroyed by the Flood. The point of breeding is not to turn a pair of poodles into wolves and coyotes and foxes, it's to mate the smallest fluffiest wolves you can find until you get a pair of poodles, then those stay poodles.

>adaption, natural selection
Doesn't work that fast, especially for larger animals with long generations.
>>
>>1569077
Confirmed for delusional christian, you are done. You are simply making excuses.

Thanks for proving that's all you are doing.
>>
>>1569062
>Radiometrics don't give me the answer I want, it's bullshit, ignore it and look for the answer I want
Ken Ham, please go. Don't you have a failing park to look after?

>>1569065
>Pangea
>4600 years ago

That's it, I'm with >>1569023. I can't tell who is shit posting anymore. This is actually hurting me where my soul should be.
>>
>>1569036
Everest is not the only example. I find seashells on the mountains near where I live all the time. And I live near the Ocean.

>>1569048
You know Everest is a singular example, right? If you live near a mountain range, go explore it, I can almost guarantee you will find a shell if you look hard enough.
>>
>>1569118
>And I live near the Ocean.
Before you get all flustered about this point.
>>
>>1569043
Kill yourself retard
>>
>>1568764
/thread
>>
>>1568750
Yeah man, it totally happened. He totally put 2 of each land-based species into a gigantic ship.

100% true. How can you not see science.
>>
>>1569118
Did you fail geology class in addition to biology class?
>>
>>1569223
Do you even understand what I am saying?
>>
>>1569227
Do you even understand what you are saying? Because it's fucking nonsense. Your logic is so faulty as to be almost mind boggling.
>>
>>1569227
Do you even understand how mountains are formed?
>>
>>1569235
It's nonsense that there is scientific evidence of sea levels being much higher than they are now?
>>
>>1569245
If by "much higher" you mean "6000 feet above the current sea level" then yes, it's absurd and laughable.
>>
File: Phanerozoic_Sea_Level.png (23KB, 523x360px) Image search: [Google]
Phanerozoic_Sea_Level.png
23KB, 523x360px
>>1569245
>>
>>1569257
Well where did I say that?
>>
>>1569030
and?
You know the himalayas were raised when the indian subcontinent crashed into the eurasian landmass with no survivors?

>>1569241
god created them, and all geologists go to hell.
>>
>>1569461
>You know the himalayas were raised when the indian subcontinent crashed into the eurasian landmass with no survivors?
Are you capable of reading a thread?
>>
>>1568796
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh_flood_myth

Gilgamesh is pretty much the first hero figure in recorded history.
>>
File: NoahMap.jpg (3KB, 83x125px) Image search: [Google]
NoahMap.jpg
3KB, 83x125px
>>1568750
Ice Age Ends
Ice Melts and Sea Levels Rise
Black Sea Basin Floods
Dude and his family grab his boat, some goats and some chickens.
They arrive some time later on new shores of the Black Sea.
People on shore go "WOW!"
Story is passed around the fire for millennia.
Story gets written down

Pretty simple really
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 200x253px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 200x253px
>>1569077
>Contradicts God's word
>Good people
>Demon Worshippers

Holy shit. Just, wow.
>>
>>1569022
What the fuck are you talking about, no one said this. Are you actually being ignorant on purpose?
>>
>>1569023
That guy is right
A lot of gen is earlier myth that was reshape do fit the Hebrews idea of God
This is the scholarly view
>>
>>1569031
Moses never existed either. Creationist.
>>
>>1568764
incognito
>>
>>1568750
made up/ lie not metaphor
>>
>>1568871
>See, that's where you're wrong. You only need about 20,000 different kinds of animals to produce what we see today.

Whow and your able to breath by yourself?

This is probably the most retarded claim I have heard for a long time.
>>
>>1569069
Why are you giving another example that supports my claim?
>>
>>1571341
He did actually.
>>
>>1569090

I demonstrated that both the account in the bible and in the Epic are one and the same flood, and contain the same righteous hero who escapes the flood on a boat.

The fools who say the flood never happened were BTFO.
>>
>>1569084
I guarantee you that you have no idea how anything works in the real world. None. How many days does it take to get a thousand generations of rats? Of rabbits? Of sparrows?
>>
>>1569091
Implying you think you have a soul.
>>
>>1569118
Yes, the Flood was an ELE; all volcanoes erupted, the fountains of the deep opened up; the canopy of water surrounding the earth crashed for 40 days and 40 nights.

The entire planet was misshapen, knocked off its axis, etc.
>>
>>1570362
Try reading it again, genius.
>>
>>1571323
Event
Account1 five hundred years later
Account 2 a thousand years later

You people really need to work on your reading comprehension skills. They're sorely lacking.
>>
>>1571341
Of course he did, and thank you.
>>
>>1572008
Then read the two scientists who proposed it in Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study.

For sale on Amazon
>>
>>1572192
I was just trying to get you decapitated.
>>
>>1573720
>canopy of water surrounding the earth
I swear this gets me every time. nothing is more retarded in creationism than this
>>
>>1573740

Another person who cannot deal with reality.
>>
>>1568871
>According to Bible, Noah was 9 generations after Adam (4004 BC – 3074 BC) which is about 3500 BC.
Not enough time for evolution to result in what we see today
>>
>>1573715
>How many days does it take to get a thousand generations of rats?
Well, if you're talking about the brown rats that adapted well to life alongside humans, a couple of centuries should be enough, though many other rat species (including the more classic black rat) have longer generations.
Now, how many generations do you think it took for them to diversify into 50+ species?
>Of rabbits?
With a generous estimate of 4 months from conception to maturity, 333 years. Again, how long should it take for the dozens of existence species to emerge from a single pair?
>Of sparrows?
1000 years, since they breed once a year.
Is 1000 generations even enough to diversify into ~20 species?
>>
File: 1463011996511.png (186KB, 463x515px) Image search: [Google]
1463011996511.png
186KB, 463x515px
>>1573720
>all volcanoes erupted
>The entire planet was misshapen, knocked off its axis, etc.
[citation needed]

>>1573740/this

Look. I explained this last night
>>1569891/this(me)
Get over it
>>
>>1573831
>>1573831
/x/-tan fucking sucks
>>
>>1568796

Just out of curiosity, how do we know that it all isn't the same story told from different perspectives?
>>
>>1568750
Ancient history is filled with giant floods like this, but it's completely impossible a single old man and his family managed to get every single animal on earth.
>>
>>1573852
But it probably is the same story, that's the point.
>>
it happened and it should again
baton rouge was jsut a warning

world life
>>
File: 1455176976972.gif (2MB, 322x260px) Image search: [Google]
1455176976972.gif
2MB, 322x260px
Another question to ask..

Do you think the world could be potentially become so evil that it needed to be reset?

I mean look at what the God of Abraham did to the world since the time of Abraham. It ended child sacrifice and human sacrifice to "gods", ended the gentile gods of war, various sacrifices and sexual ceremonies in the name of these other "gods" on just about every continent.

The God of Abraham was evolutionary and revolutionary. It now renders man responsible for his own actions and left man unable to claim they are doing evil in a "gods" name. The God of Abraham exposed everything and has given man a huge responsibility of exercising temperance in the face of the ill-effects of excessive indulgences that are related to what Abraham's God called "sin."

Abraham's God reshaped the world essentially.

So can the world become so bad that it needed to be reset? It's easy to say no, now, since we have been given conviction and since Abraham's God essentially deleted every other evil tradition that was set prior.

But you would be fooled by your own arrogance to think that man broke away from these traditions on his own, since man to this day still desires to murder and steal out of their own lust for power, leverage, and greed for a multitude of reasons, just one being their own pride and arrogance. Man can't escape himself, let alone the gods of the past.

It' took Abraham God's to correct half of this problem. All of the problem if the individual heeds the warnings and the bondage of "sin."
>>
>>1573894
Forgive me if I jumped to any irrational conclusions, just generally saying. The effects of Abraham's God are beyond evident, especially when you consider how bad things were prior that everyone for some reason loves to ignore.
>>
>>1573866
With God, all things are possible.
>>
>>1573894
Yes.

Noah and his family were the only pure humans on the planet. Everyone else was tainted with angel and hybrid DNA.
>>
>>1573852
I'm assuming what you're saying is that it could have just been that the Hebrews recorded this same flood event rather than just copying the Mesopotamian one and developing their own version over time through an elaborate game of telephone.

Maybe possible, but unlikely given the evidence. How Historians go about dating things and tracing the genealogy of a text is absurdly complicated and legitimately takes a graduate degree to understand in full but suffice it to say it is a fairly exact procedure, what they do isn't guesswork. The evidence in this case is that flood stories, although common in the region, have various overlapping commonalities that begin in the extremely old Mesopotamian versions. The Hebrews may have had an oral story that they formed around the same period but given the similarity it's unlikely that they took nothing from the Mesopotamian stories.
>>
File: 1463016506004.png (158KB, 364x556px) Image search: [Google]
1463016506004.png
158KB, 364x556px
>>1573894
>It ended child sacrifice and human sacrifice to "gods"
Who is Jephthah?
What was the slaughter of the Midianites?

>Sin?
That would be the God of Moses. The incest of Abraham is said to have not been a "sin" until Moses came along

>The God of Abraham was evolutionary and revolutionary
No He wasn't. The God of Abraham was the God of Melchizedek. It is unknown how long the priesthood of "The Most High God" existed in Salem (Jerusalem) before Abraham converted.

>inb4 I am not a Mormon. I can simply read. Abraham was a convert to a pre-existing religion.

Have a blessed day.
>>
There is archaeological evidence for most of the shit in the Old Testament. It's all wildly exaggerated, so some guy building a boat right before a big flood is probably the most believable story in there.
>>
>>1573894
In the event I made a incorrect statement about Abraham God's putting certain responsibilities on man, study Ephesians 10 through 20 and see if that contradicts what I typed, if I applied an incorrect statement, that's my fault.
>>
>>1573929
Not only that, but if the "paper" of the older Hebrew writings deteriorated over time, causing them to transition the writings to newer "paper", essentially leaving the source "younger", also considering the possibility that they did this numerous times in their attempt to preserve the writings...wouldn't that render it impossible to know for sure?
>>
>>1574003
Not 100% on that, I'm assuming there are ways to tell when an older source has been lost, such as the Q theory hypothesis (which I'm not saying is correct), but yes when you get back this far into ancient history our ability to know concrete facts gets murkier.
>>
File: 1455098188543.gif (2MB, 154x115px) Image search: [Google]
1455098188543.gif
2MB, 154x115px
>>1573948
Only the God of Abraham never asked for child sacrifice. He did command the death of the surrounding nations that participated in what Abraham's God considered evil. Every man, women, child, and beast etc etc

As it's written though, the Israelite's didn't do all of what God had commanded and eventually found themselves doing human sacrifices as well as prostitution, all in the names of these other 'gods'. The very things their God prohibited them to practice, the Israelite's eventually found themselves doing, all because they allowed these practitioners into their walls.

All of this though, the plot of these documents, it all coincides with the general teachings of sin and degeneracy. How it spreads through seduction and the struggle of getting out of the bondage element of 'sin'.

Now how you personally make the connection of perpetual child sacrifice to God's command to clear out a land of people who are described as evil........is beyond irrational. I personally don't understand this blatant abandonment of rational, but it's common, still surprised every time I come across it though.

>That would be the God of Moses. The incest of Abraham is said to have not been a "sin" until Moses came along
And Jesus came along and declared certain foods clean, again changing the structure.

Now I don't know what your motives are, but if you think these petty arguments about law and the abandonment of rational exposes a contradiction to the overall teachings...well, you'd be mistaken. The only opposition of Abraham's God, all the way to Christ, is the product of 'sin.' That's it.
>>
>>1574056
I see, so yeah, it's possible this is all the same event that these ancient writings focus on, but no way to know for sure.
>>
>>1573901
How were things worse?
>>
>>1574003
That's assuming they wrote on paper. We know Mesopotamian mythology from millennia-old rock or clay inscriptions.
For that matter, we know Hebrew and other Canaanite languages from rock inscriptions too.

In fact:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artifacts_in_biblical_archaeology
>>
>>1574125
That's why I put paper in quotations. Whatever they used, if it deteriorated, prior sources thrown away for newer sources, whatever the case may be, if there was ever transition for the sake of preservation and a passing down of the writings, it would be impossible to know for sure since with every transition the source becomes younger. Basically, what if what we find, isn't the oldest. Who's to say it wasn't from a transition phase?
>>
>>1568803
False, the ark was real, Noah was real, God is real.
>>
>>1568857
just watched good 'ol Kent talk about that
>>
>>1574332

Do you have any proof of this?
>>
>>1574124
Human sacrifice was prominent, the degree in which slavery was utilized, just general misery was more prominent and justified in the name of these other gods....until Abraham's God eventually set a new foundation of conviction.

Now in modern times, man does these things on his own, not because of God but because of the evil that attempts to infiltrate everything, including the people who believe in God. Evil that was practiced before, hated Abraham's God, evil that exists today hates Abraham's God.

In hindsight it all makes sense though...who wants to be told to stop doing something they like doing? Who wants to hear that what they enjoy doing is evil and that they should stop?

Even the Israelite's killed their own prophets...(which is why the Israelite's aren't above us, but we aren't above them either. We're all in the same fight.) Had to point that out, lest someone calls me antisemitic lol.
>>
>>1574350
sea shells on everest for one
>>
>>1574389

Because the Tibet mountains used to be underwater until they were forced upwards by plate tectonics.
>>
>>1574430
That's a process that takes millions of years and you are talking to someone who is likely a young earth creationist. I would suggest you stop trying.
Thread posts: 145
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.