[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Book recommendation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: MTIwNjA4NjMzNzIxNzUxMDUy.jpg (249KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MTIwNjA4NjMzNzIxNzUxMDUy.jpg
249KB, 1200x1200px
can /his/ point me in the direction of a good book about Alexander the Great? I've heard Alexander of Macedon by Peter Green is good, and I have that on the way soon, but what other titles are there worth looking into?
>>
Check out Audible's free audiobook trials. I think if you use www.audible.com/rome then you get 2 credits

Then buy yourself "Alexander and the Macedonian Empire", a lecture series by the teaching company that's top notch.

If not that, get the Landmark Arrian
>>
>>1564221
>buy yourself "Alexander and the Macedonian Empire", a lecture series by the teaching company that's top notch.I concur but you don't have to buy these lectures.
>https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/10375085/+The+Great+Courses+-+The+Teaching+Company+Megapack+280+Courses

This sort of knowledge should be free, don't feel bad for torrenting it.
>>
File: 1470537863367-r9k.jpg (21KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1470537863367-r9k.jpg
21KB, 450x450px
Anything on the Soissons?

I'd also like to learn a bit about Persia before and during the Achaemenids.
>>
Do Peter Green or Robin Lane Fox also talk about Phillip? If not, are there any good books on him as well?
>>
>>1564166
>a good book about Alexander the Great?

Arrian - Anabasis Alexandris

By far the best and most authentic book you can find.
>>
I don't have much to offer, but Napoleon: A Life by Andrew Roberts is superb.

Does anyone know if the books that Napoleon himself wrote are worth a look?
>>
File: 1434495859981.png (17KB, 409x406px) Image search: [Google]
1434495859981.png
17KB, 409x406px
>>1564166

If you have never read anything about Alexander I would firstly recommend either Arrian or Plutarch.

For current scholarship, Peter Green's book is in my opinion the best of the modern secondary sources.

I am not sure which Alexander you would want to learn about i.e. the ruthless conqueror (A.B. Bosworth) or the idolized champion (W.W. Tarn) but I believe that Peter Green definitely walks in between the two extremes brilliantly.

If you would like to dive further in; here is a list for your perusal:

http://www.pothos.org/content/index.php?page=top-10-books
>>
Is there a general /his/ recommended reading list?
>>
>>1564242
Fuck yes
>>
>>1564166

J.F.C Fuller
The Generalship of Alexander the Great
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.