[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The expansion of Vietnam. How was it that Vietnam was able to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: dai-viet-map-ly.gif (53KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
dai-viet-map-ly.gif
53KB, 540x720px
The expansion of Vietnam.

How was it that Vietnam was able to push south and obliterate indigenous Cham and Khmer Kingdoms?
>>
>>1561817

It's not obliteration if it takes you 800 years to expand an area smaller than britain.
>>
>>1561817
Superior Chinese genes
>>
>>1561817
Nanyue having anything to do with Vietnam
>>
>>1561817
That Sinic Civilization their nationalists love shitting on.

Ironically, they also called the event the same way the Chinese called theirs. Also featured the last time Cao Cao's Tuntian System was ever utilized.
>>
>>1561905
Tell me more. It's confusing because Vietnamese is a Mon-Khmer language with shitloads of Chinese vocab and Chinese culture. Most look Cantonese is, but I've met some Viets down south that look plainly SE Asian.

So what are they?
>>
>>1562094
Its in the fucking name
>Nanyue
>Southern Yue
>As in the Yue people.
>>
>>1562094
Vietnamese enthnonym is a meme.

Yu/Gan Yue was originally a non Sinitic polity based in the lower Yangtze.

After the demise of the kingdom the aristocracy conquered natives further south to establish the Eastern Ou and Min Yue.

Zhao Tuo,the Qin commander based in Nanhai commandery(Eastern Guangdong) subjugated Guilin(Western Guangdong/Eastern Guangxi) and Xiang commandery(Western Guangxi/Northern Vietnam) and declared himself Emperor of the Southern Yue.

The native Luo people served as intermediaries in Xiang Commandery for the Nanyue/Han rulers while in Guilin the Western Ou tribes were governed by the extended Zhao imperial clan.

Southern Yue survived in the collective memory of Sinicized elites and was used as a symbol of legitimacy.

Cantonese have significant native admixture,presumably from Tai Kadai/Hmong Mien tribes.
>>
>>1562357
ttyl Vietnamese is the equivalent of Anatolian Turks.
>>
>>1562110
Nope. Back then lots of Southerners were generally called Yue.

"TheBaiyue,Hundred YueorYuewere various partly or un-Sinicized peopleswho inhabitedSouth Chinaand northernVietnambetween the first millennium BC and the first millennium AD.".

That's why modern Vietnam is called 越南 or Southern Yue.
>>
>>1562357
I'm Tai so I'm apparently related to Cantonese...
>>
>>1562363
>That's why modern Vietnam is called 越南 or Southern Yue.
No,Vietnam in the historical context means south of the Yue(Guangdong/Guangxi).

Nguyen dynasty attempted to change their region name from Annan to Nanyue.

The Qing court misinterpreted Nanyue so the Vietnamese were forced to change to Yuenan.

https://leminhkhai.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/how-viet-nam-became-viet-nam/

>>1562378
Genetically,Zhuang are the closest.

Hakka>Cantonese>Zhuang>Vietnamese>Muong>Dai>Tai
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.