[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books on Early Medieval History of Aragon and Italy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Aragon.jpg (940KB, 2014x1514px) Image search: [Google]
Aragon.jpg
940KB, 2014x1514px
I'm trying to create a roleplaying setting for my group, low fantasy gritty early medieval RPG. I DON'T want to base the cultures of my main lands on medieval England, France, or the Holy Roman Empire given how commonly those are used.

I'd like to use Aragon and Italy as those are some interesting regions rich in history, different from the standard. But the problem is that all my medieval history knowledge is focused on England and France and little else.

What are some good books on the culture, people, and life in general in Italy and Aragon up until the year 1300AD? Are there any?
>>
Bumping for hopeful recommendations.
>>
http://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

look through here for any topic that you might think fits your topic.
>>
>>1554106
also, what system are you using? im tg too, and id like to rp in a historical setting, too
>>
>>1555154
It's not really historical, but low fantasy. I haven't really decided between a setting, I'm bouncing around between Song of Swords, GURPS, and maybe something else simply for simplicity's sake.
>>
>>1555145
It's a cool depot anon, but it doesn't have what I'm looking for.
>>
>>1555193
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=The+Medieval+Crown+of+Aragon
>>
If this is a semi-tg thread, I'll ask:
Is it better to try and use a semi-historical setting while admitting that you'll get things incorrect, or just use a fantasy setting that tries to be accurate but it's excusable if inaccurate?
>>
>>1555205
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=SOVEREIGNTY%2C+RELIGION%2C+AND+VIOLENCE+IN+THE+MEDIEVAL+CROWN+OF+ARAGON&sts=t
>>
File: DD penumb 4.jpg (939KB, 3444x2596px) Image search: [Google]
DD penumb 4.jpg
939KB, 3444x2596px
>>1555206
Two years ago I ran a D&D5th edition game in this world that I invented

Long story short: Don't bother to make it realistic because you won't use 99% of what you plan. The players really just want some basic theme and some context but then to explore on their own, they don't really care why and how the world is made, just what actually happens to their characters in the story.

Unless you have some history snob, no one will notice or care how realistic it is. Also in general making a world realistic doesn't even enhance an RPG anyway, better to tell a dramatic adventure.
>>
>>1555205
>>1555209
Thanks anon. Also for lulz I checked if barnes and noble has them. They do. For $60.
>>
>>1555229
jesus christ, i remember that thread

http://desuarchive.org/his/thread/593667
>>
>>1555258
yeah abe books rocks completely
I always get my textbooks there for 90% off the price of the school store.
>>
>>1555229
I was more asking this for some writefaggotry, for my own sake, but asking regarding a campaign works too
>>
>>1555338
In that regard, write the world to give your players some basic options to make their characters, which nations, religions, cultural practices, etc.

Even better, let THEM make up the stuff about their character and use THAT to build the world.
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 388x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 388x500px
I don't want to start a new thread for this: but does anyone know some good English language books on the Risorgimento
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.