[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why wasn't the printing press effective in China

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: aaaaaa.jpg (8KB, 199x253px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.jpg
8KB, 199x253px
as many might know...the Printing Press was invented in China before Gutenberg Europe...but Gutenberg's printing press was much, much more influential and impactful, why is this?
>>
Europe is a composition of many nations, they can not easily banned the printing like in China.
>>
>>1552657
was that the main reason
>>
>>1552643
European Colonization.

Because the immediate surrounding countries of China in East Asia utilized Chink-style presses, you know.
>>
>>1552643
I want to say the Bible. Could be wrong though.
>>
File: choose_your_name2.jpg (274KB, 600x1974px) Image search: [Google]
choose_your_name2.jpg
274KB, 600x1974px
>>1552643
>as many might know...the Printing Press was invented in China before Gutenberg Europe...but Gutenberg's printing press was much, much more influential and impactful, why is this?
Because the Latin alphabet doesn't have the assload of characters a Chinese press has to work with.
>>
>>1552643
1) Chinese has way more characters than the Roman alphabet, so a movable type printer would require way more startup to get going in China than Europe.

2) Print industry in Europe managed to overcome the scribe guilds through their economic success in a literate market rather than having to compete strictly through royal and aristocratic patronage. In China and the Ottoman Empire scribal guilds were backed by the government who relied on their services for legitimization of imperial script, and so they would crush competition with the help of the authorities. This almost happened in Paris, but the printing press found success elsewhere until it could come back and take over.
>>
>>1552809
>China
>Scribal Guild.
The fucking government utilized prints itself. Even had a proto-news paper of sorts in the form of the Imperial Memorial.
>>
>>1552643
Commercial vs official use. As far as I can tell most printing efforts in China at the time were either for religious or government purposes. This would mean a press would be regulated and contained in order to curb forgeries and errors that could undermine teachings or orders.

Meanwhile in Europe the printing press was run by middle class craftsmen who worked for profit, printing whatever people would pay them for. Each town could have multiple presses all competing for business, and they wouldn't be limited to Bibles or official decrees to get by in the event of some religious or government quagmire.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.