[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Epicurus_bust2.jpg (86KB, 590x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Epicurus_bust2.jpg
86KB, 590x1000px
When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not.

Yeah thanks I feel very reassured now!
>>
It is actually rather reassuring.
>>
>>1547837
Is life really a thing, though? I mean, we are dying all the time without noticing it, but since we're so unstable and chemically active, we perceive shit, react to shit around us, we eat shit to rebuild our dying bodies, etc.

Life seems to be like what happens if you jump in a pool. Lots of noise and splashes in the first second, but very quickly it all calms down to flat water, and it was water all along.
>>
>>1547848
Please explain me how. This world is full of people who wish they wouldn't exist and I can't understand how this is possible. I believe the worst unthinkable hell is still an infinitely better condition than non-existance, and with infinite time you could even train yourself to like it.
>>
>>1547858
A dying person is still alive.
>>
>>1547866
And what does alive mean, that dead doesn't?
>>
>>1547865
With non-existence you do not exist to experience anything. It's the absence of experience. It's not scary or black or infinite, it's just nothing.

Training myself to like hell sounds very difficult if not impossible, and you have to suffer during that time. But it depends on what we mean by hell. You might figure God would prevent you from being able to ever enjoy hell.
>>
>>1547869
Well, if you want the most precise definition you'd have to consult medicine. You could roughly define it to mean animated and aware. Death is the absence of those things.
>>
File: indexd.jpg (5KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
indexd.jpg
5KB, 240x200px
>>1547858
>Let us beware of saying that death is the opposite of life. The living being is only a species of the dead, and a very rare species.
>>
>>1547881
I just don't understand how non-existance can be anything desiderable. I know it's neither good nor bad absolutely speaking but for me, as a living being, it's the ultimate evil and the actual hell. I can't even imagine what brings another person to think otherwise.
>>
>>1547918
A neutral state is surely desirable to a bad state. Just because life is the opposite of death does not make death bad. Life is not necessarily even that great. Many people have decided that.
>>
>>1547944
Are you implying that the tetrapharmakos is literally just for betas and cucks?
>>
File: download.jpg (14KB, 318x158px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 318x158px
So his, do you still fear death? Youre not a slave are you?!
>>
>>1547965
No. Epicurus was the guy going around saying how great it was that you could kill yourself whenever you wanted.
>>
>>1547918
There are plenty of things you are not existing as right now, when you'll be dead it will be the same thing as now, but you won't be existing as you either.
>>
>>1548091
Existing is existing, there's no such thing as "half existing"

No, seriously, I don't get how does it matter. It's still horrible.
>>
>>1547991
not really. I'm /r9k/ tier tho with nothing to lose
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.