[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The influence of Finnish on Germanic languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: -pol- learns somali.png (2MB, 1638x8413px) Image search: [Google]
-pol- learns somali.png
2MB, 1638x8413px
I'm sure we've all heard about how Germanic languages are far less conservative indo-european languages than, say, Russian or Hindu. But what language influenced that is still undetermined. I posit that it is very much possible that proto-finnic languages were more of an influence on germanic languages than we realize, and it's possible that words we assume were borrowed from germanic languages and incorporated into finnic languages were actually the other way around.
>>
File: 1454792221130.jpg (2MB, 6252x4087px) Image search: [Google]
1454792221130.jpg
2MB, 6252x4087px
>>1538920
Yes. They were at highest peak of human civilization
>>
>>1538920
>and it's possible that words we assume were borrowed from germanic languages and incorporated into finnic languages were actually the other way around
How would you explain cognates showing up in other Indo-European languages, some very far away from any Finnic speakers?
>>
Just found this

>Punic, the Semitic language spoken in classical Carthage, is a superstratum of the Germanic languages. According to Vennemann, Carthaginians colonized the North Sea region between the 6th and 3rd centuries BC; this is evidenced by numerous Semitic loan words in the Germanic languages, as well as structural features such as strong verbs, and similarities between Norse religion and Semitic religion. This theory replaces his older theory of an unknown Semitic substrate language he called "Atlantidic" or "Semitidic". The Runic alphabet is derived directly from the Phoenician alphabet used by the Carthaginians, without intervention by the Greek alphabet. The Germanic sound shift is dated to the 6th to 3rd centuries BC, as evidenced by the fact that some presumed Punic loan words participated in it, while others did not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Vennemann

What do linguists think?
>>
>>1539358

>is a German historical linguist known for his controversial theories of a "Vasconic" and an "Atlantic" substratum in European languages, published since the 1990s.[1]
>controversial
>>
>>1539183
Well I'm talking specifically about words that appear in germanic languages that aren't indo-european in origin.
>>
>>1540634
Such as?
>>
Germanics were a genetic experiment by the ancient Finns
>>
>>1539164
>No Lemuria
Who the fuck made that?
>>
>>1541936
They even forgot about Suomi Kreikka. Probably some Hwan revisionist
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.