[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on the famine that occurred in Madras India under

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (860KB, 1792x1384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
860KB, 1792x1384px
Redpill me on the famine that occurred in Madras India under British rule in the 1800s.
>>
Read about it yourself and get back to us instead.
>>
A mishandling of logistics and the result of poor communication. The British saw the Indians as human beings.
>>
>>1538996

Are they not? Why don't you see the Indians as human beings?
>>
>>1537399
Famines had always happened in India until the green revolution in the 1960's. One of the reasons that you hear only about those that occurred during British rule is that the Brits recorded the famines and statistics about them in English. Whether the Mughal/Marathas/local rulers have records and we haven't translated them or they didn't bother writing about them, I don't know. I've been told that a famine during the late mughal empire killed 60% of the people in the Doab which is a pretty devastating thing. You will hear a lot of indian revisionists claiming famines didn't occur before colonialism if you ask in India.

AFAIK the famine in madras was caused by drought in the Deccan plateau but was exacerbated by the promotion of cash crops and exports ( although if they hadn't exported you would still be lacking food for those who would have bought exports but India would have been better off ). Restrictive relief wages didn't help. About 1/12th of the population died.

The Brits developed the Indian Famine codes in response to these famines that helped ensure that there weren't many famines post 1900 ( although the 1943 Bengal famine was particularly bad but we can blame the Japanese and the British devoting resources to WW2 for that ). In my recollection those famines codes where still in place for a good while after independence.
>>
>>1537399
Anglos have an obsession with starving people, see Ireland in the 1840s, the concentration camps in the Boer war, the blockade of Germany during WW1 etc.
>>
>>1539101
>A wild Irishman appears
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.