[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aztec vs Maya

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 670_06_2.jpg (139KB, 544x675px) Image search: [Google]
670_06_2.jpg
139KB, 544x675px
Nahua and Maya tribes went to war with themselves and each other for centuries.

When the Spanish arrived in Mesoamerica they exploited these differences -- working with some Nahua to take down some Maya, and working everyone to take down the Aztecs.

Did tribal rivalries and wars disappear as soon as Mexico was conquered? Or did frontier wars persist until the 19th century, like how Sioux and Lakota went to war with each other even after their territory was under nominal American sovereignty?

How do different tribes feel about each other today?
>>
>>1532732
>How do different tribes feel about each other today?

Kek, there are no tribes today. They either got killed off or assimilated.

What's left is are just muddled traditions left over here and there. Mexicans identify more as Mexicans than they do Aztec or Maya (though they do say they're proud of that lineage).
>>
No Amerindians fought with each other. That is a myth, and a product of the Eurocentric, white male patriarchy's rewriting of history.
Before the backwards Spanish arrived with their horses and ships and wheels, the Nahua and Maya would regularly meet up for coffee and a chat. Sometimes they would camp out together and have marshmallows around a fire whilst regaling the other tribe with tales about Quetzalcoatl, God of Homosexual Fabulousness and Transgender Issues.

In future, please Google these things before posting as you may harm the collective feelings of the oppressed. And check your privilege.
>>
File: ciudad-perdida-colombia.jpg (362KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ciudad-perdida-colombia.jpg
362KB, 1024x768px
Why is that everyone only talks about aztecs and mayas when muiscas and tayronas were superior?
>>
>>1532823
Was it really worth it to type that out, anon? What did you gain from this shitty memepost?
>>
>>1532823
Back to /pol/
>>
>>1532839
>>1532840
Calm down, gentlemen. It was a joke.
I'm actually pretty interested in Amerindian cultures, in particular those of Central America and Brazil.
I've always been intrigued by the parallels with the Old World, especially given the length of time (10-15,000 years) that they were separated. It makes me wonder what the ancient cultures of Eurasia were like, before the first tribes made it to the Americas.

>don't blame me for having a shit sense of humour
>blame the vaccinations
>>
>>1532732
Actually, to say the conquistadors "exploited" the wars between the Triple Alliance and the city states is highly disputable. The conquistadors were a small band of foreigners in a mesoamerican war.
>>
>>1532771
Dude what? There are millions of native people left in Mexico and Central America, a good period of whom don't even speak Spanish fluently
>>
>>1532771
According to the Commission for the Development of Indigenous Peoples (CDI) and National Institute of Indigenous Languages (INALI), while 10–14% of the population identifies as belonging to an indigenous group, around 6% speak an indigenous language.

Not to say there are tribes anymore but there are people who identify themselves as Natives
>>
>>1532771
Maya definitely still exists and identify as such. And aside from Chicanos and Mexicans who identify as Aztecs, there are actual Nahuas in Mexico.

>>1532870
Also this, it was more of a Native conquest, who were the majority of the conquistadors.
>>
File: Maya highland village.jpg (420KB, 1200x770px) Image search: [Google]
Maya highland village.jpg
420KB, 1200x770px
I wish there was a comic about the Toltec expansion into the Maya region.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.