[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, did these exist or what?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Hanging_Gardens_of_Babylon.jpg (294KB, 725x502px) Image search: [Google]
Hanging_Gardens_of_Babylon.jpg
294KB, 725x502px
So, did these exist or what?
>>
>>1531872
Bumping for interest
>>
>>1531872
I don't understand why someone doubts it, it's not like that shit is difficult to make.
>>
>>1531872
I don't think archeological digs have found enough canals into Babylon to support something of that scale
>>
Chinampas? Yeah
>>
>>1532190

Because the only attestation to its existence came from foreigners invading, not the people who supposedly built it.
>>
>>1532471
Most of what we know about horses and horsewarfare in ancient times comes from people being invaded and attacked by people on horses, not the people who used them

People have a tendency not to write about things that are ubiquitous to them
>>
>>1531872
Maybe
>>
>>1532498

>Most of what we know about horses and horsewarfare in ancient times comes from people being invaded and attacked by people on horses, not the people who used them

What the fuck? No that isn't true unless you're talking about steppe nomad invasions, which is colored by the fact that most steppe nomads didn't have a written language. But when it comes to people like the Assyrians, Egyptians, and the Persians? Fuck yes we have a lot about horses and mounted warfare, straight from people who used them.

And a supposed gigantic monument in the capital for a king's favored wife isn't exactly "ubiquitous" is it?
>>
File: colossus of rhodes.jpg (48KB, 634x386px) Image search: [Google]
colossus of rhodes.jpg
48KB, 634x386px
>>1531872
Given how many other civilizations commented on them, probably... Also, as wonders of the world go, it isn't one of the more outlandish ones. (Though, given all the admiration, the hanging gardens must have been more spectacular than imaged there).
>>
>>1532583
The Colossus of Rhodes never straddled the harbor like that.
>>
>>1532931
No but apparently the greeks in their eternal autism were talking about building a replica that did.
>>
>>1531872
Doesn't look like it. But I've always wondered how the tale, and concept, came into inception.

>>1532190
Maybe by today's standards...
>>
>>1532583

he's a big guy
>>
>>1532970
>Implying that isn't a great idea
>>
>>1533480
pic related is the replica
>>
>>1532190
>The Tower of Babel in the left corner
>easy
There's a reason God said "there's nothing these fucks can't do if they can build that thousands of years before the dark ages" and split up the one instance of a single language and united humanity so he wouldn't have to deal with a repeat of Noah's time.

I mean, building a building twice as tall as the Burj Khalifa and as wide as thirteen greek stadiums in 43 years is wew lad tier and larger than anything people have ever built today, destroying that shit must have been like toppling the world's biggest Jenga tower and any remaining evidence of it would just be built over with time as a city or some shit in Iraq
>>
>>1535163
That's not CGI? Looks like that gaudy Chinese statue that was just completed
>>
>>1532471
there are plenty of examples of similar Paradise gardens all through history in the area.
>>
>>1532190
>it's not like that shit is difficult to make
By how they were described, they would have been an amazing feat of engineering actually. We're not talking of potted plants here, we're talking of actual trees dozens of ft tall growing on top of buildings.
>>
>>1532471
The tower, the eternal house, which I founded and built. I have completed its magnificence with silver, gold, other metals, stone, enameled bricks, fir and pine. The first which is the house of the earth’s base, the most ancient monument of Babylon; I built and finished it. I have highly exalted its head with bricks covered with copper. We say for the other, that is, this edifice, the house of the seven lights of the earth the most ancient monument of Borsippa. A former king built it, (they reckon 42 ages) but he did not complete its head. Since a remote time, people had abandoned it, without order expressing their words. Since that time the earthquake and the thunder had dispersed the sun-dried clay. The bricks of the casing had been split, and the earth of the interior had been scattered in heaps. - Nebuchadnezzar on The Hanging Gardens and Tower of Babel
>>
>>1536052
wew lad indeed
>>
>>1536052
that's the hanging gardens, not the fictional tower of babel that was based on the Babylonian Ziggurat, which was far from being that tall
>>
File: 1458236353423.jpg (1MB, 2102x1382px) Image search: [Google]
1458236353423.jpg
1MB, 2102x1382px
>>1536091
The Tower of Babel is in the left corner of OP's picture and he was asking if they existed.
>>
>>1536091
Oh, and they are almost always talked about and pictured together.
>>
>>1536095
and what is in the front of the image, taking up most of the space and is the file name?
>>
>>1536105
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, which is the name of the engraving, which depicts both the fabled Gardens and Tower of Babel. OP could have been referring to the entire picture or just the Gardens, I don't know, but I assumed he meant the whole picture because he posted it specifically. Both are often talked about simultaneously so it is not unusual to discuss either.
>>
>>1533179
Never stop baneposting anon
>>
>>1536131
For you.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.