[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the first person to realize that our planet's resources

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

Who was the first person to realize that our planet's resources are limited?
>>
The concern of scarcity was probably much more ingrained into us before the industrial revolution, I believe the phenomenon of this revolution is what actually changed our mindset to that of a society that seems to take for granted the abundance of product.

Before the industrial revolution, scarcity was a very real issue.
>>
>>1528718
Scarcity doesn't by definition mean non-replenishable.
>>
>>1528738
When you don't have a clue how some things are replenished, or that escape your control, it's basically the same. You realize a bird for example has a migration calendar, and comes and goes depending of the season, until said bird never returns and you don't know what the fuck. You were obviously in constant fear the scarcity would be permanent.

But I get where you are coming from, and the answer could be the first civilizations, who realized some minerals such as gold were far harder to prospect and exploit than other ones, and that the amounts were limited.
>>
File: kant.png (32KB, 381x222px) Image search: [Google]
kant.png
32KB, 381x222px
>>1528349
not the earliest, but id say it would be hand in hand with he who first realised his mortality of flesh
>>
>>1528718
Local scarcity, yes... Planet-wide limits though? Near as I can tell, everyone always thought there was always more planet (barring biblical floods).

Then again, though I can't cite it off hand, I do recall hearing about people theorizing that there were so many people that we'd run out of air as far back as the 15th century.

Of course political economic philosophers always talk about this "great equilibrium" that will eventually come about when capitalism (or whatever they favor) somehow magically causes everyone to have everything they ever need, which suggests some sort of global limit on need... Though I'm fairly certain there ain't no such beast, or limited resources probably wouldn't be a problem.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.