[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

Is empathy necessary for human survival?

Why or why not?
>>
>>1525364
What a ridiculous question.

We have no other reference point to judge.
>>
>>1525364
If mothers didn't have empathy they wouldn't raise children
>>
Obviously not.
>>
File: xHn3LEb.jpg (197KB, 1200x826px) Image search: [Google]
xHn3LEb.jpg
197KB, 1200x826px
>>1525373

> If mothers didn't have empathy they wouldn't raise children

Why would that be a action out of empathy? Isnt the survival and health of your offspring vital to surivival of your own species and your genes, therefore wouldn't it be more of a survival tactic than and emotional reaction?
>>
File: 1468076272269.gif (1MB, 320x289px) Image search: [Google]
1468076272269.gif
1MB, 320x289px
>>1525371

> no other reference point to judge

Enlighten me senpai. What the fuck dies that even mean?
>>
>>1525440
children are often obnoxious and difficult to be around. even with empathy parents often kill their children (by shaking them too hard for example) so i think its fair to assume that infant mortality would skyrocket if people didnt have empathy
>>
>>1525440
It's a evolutionary advantage for mothers to empathize with their offspring if they are long-term single offspring mammals.

Something like an insect or fish can just blow out 1,000 eggs and take off.
>>
>>1525364
Yes. Being nice is an extremely rewarding strategy for social creatures, according to game theory.
>>
>>1525456
>>1525466

Fair point. What about the argument "war creates technological advancement"? Isn't the whole essence of war is an utter lack of empathy?
>>
>>1525373
they wouldnt raise daughters*
>>
>>1525487
"Being nice" & having empathy are 2 completely different things m8
>>
>>1525497
They're related when it comes to survival.
>>
>>1525497
Having empathy makes one more likely to take friendly or "nice" actions as opposed to hostile or neutral actions.
>>
>>1525364
Yes
>>
>>1525520

But I can be "nice" while im conning old people to scam them out of there money. Smiling in their face but doesnt mean i care about them.
>>
>>1525364
There's a very short list of things that are necessary for human survival. Everything else is either beneficial or harmful.

I'd personally say empathy isn't necessary, but it is beneficial in small groups. A small group of people who are willing to understand eachother and to work together is always going to work out better than a small group of people who don't give a fuck about eachother. In terms of larger society? That's a lot more difficult to argue about and conceptualize.
>>
>>1525540
That's hardly being nice. Maybe I chose the wrong word. "Beneficent action" should satisfy your autism.
>>
>>1525547

> beneficent action

A conman is benefiting when he's getting you to give him his money. He's also tricking you into thinking that it's benefiting you.
>>
>>1525555
But he isn't benefiting the other party in reality. "Action beneficial to the other party" is what you want me to call it? That's fucking autistic.
>>
>>1525559

Ok so why should it benifit both parties
>>
>>1525576
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_hunt
>>
>>1525493
It is empathy
Empathy for your people and your nation.
>>
>>1525493
Empathy for your ingroup's survival and goals outweighing the empathy for your outgroup.
>>
>>1525583
>>1525586

But that doesn't benefit both parties, as anons above mentioned.

Also we're all the same species, where is the "out group" , how is it determined
>>
>>1525598
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroups_and_outgroups
>>
>>1525440
If you only care about yourself, why would you care about the survival of your species after you are dead?
>>
>>1525364
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/altruism-biological/
>>
Psychopaths exist, don't they?
>>
>>1525364
Community
>>
Everything that we do that survives is a way to overcome death. Therefore caring for the future of earth is a way to secure one's memory which will be remembered.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.