[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /his/torians, How large was the following/cult of mithras

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: marino2005final2_30.jpg (34KB, 354x281px) Image search: [Google]
marino2005final2_30.jpg
34KB, 354x281px
Hey /his/torians,
How large was the following/cult of mithras in rome.
Could it have become influential if christianity didn't rise?
>>
>>1523741
it was functionally the same as christianity, if they had taken over we'd just be saying mithras instead of god
>>
>>1523748
Mithraism didn't seek to suppress other cults though and only men could be members. it was one of several pagan cults to use monotheistic language but there's little evidence they took this very seriously. even those that did would simply identify the god with the platonic God, while still allowing for lower gods that are part of the material world
>>
>>1523741
Apparently it was popular among soldiers for being "manly" and promoting bravery.

But once the Christians got the upper hand they made sure to wipe out competing cults.
>>
>>1523748
>functionally the same as christianity,
No it fucking was not. They were extremely esoteric and allowed members of other religions to join
>>
>>1523741
Only soldiers and nobility were really into it. Christianity spoke to the poor and uneducated
>>
>>1523842
>other religions
i wouldn't really call membership in another pagan cult being part of another religion since they were all syncratic
>>
>>1523867
yea i guess the exclusivity part of Christianity makes very different from pagan and gnostic religions
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.