[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did his reforms kill the republic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: Marius_Glyptothek.jpg (29KB, 316x427px) Image search: [Google]
Marius_Glyptothek.jpg
29KB, 316x427px
Did his reforms kill the republic?
>>
That's not a human
>>
>>1523693
no, they almost certainly saved it. other people kilt the republic.
>>
>>1523693
That's a bust, how could it reform anything?
>>
That's just my representation of the assumed matter of a digital representation of the marble representation of Marius.

How could that reform anything?
>>
File: 5e3.jpg (282KB, 1024x1049px) Image search: [Google]
5e3.jpg
282KB, 1024x1049px
>>1523745
>>
Probably, but the alternative was probably the Germans doing it.

And really, the patricians buying up all of the small estates is what led to there not being enough landowners in the first place. They did more than anything to make the empire inevitable.
>>
>>1523734
Please stop trying to dehumanize the Dark Lord.
>>
Did he make Italia great again?

He knew the system. He did good business. He was the man for the job. Smart guy, made everyone lots of money.
>>
>>1523847
Gus made italia great again but he fucked up and left an heir, instead of reforming the republic.
>>
File: gaiusgracchus.jpg (32KB, 303x500px) Image search: [Google]
gaiusgracchus.jpg
32KB, 303x500px
The best desu
>>
>>1523742

>other people kilt the republic.

Almost all of them bullying military strongmen making use of the military system and loyalties Marius created.
>>
>>1523693
They did, but without them the republic would have been killed by foreign powers anyway.
>>
>>1524152
that's like saying the person who invented the firearm is responsible for murderers using it to do badness. the republic could have continued without tyrannical dictators, princepts, and emperors had other megalomaniacal personalities not corrupted the system for themselves
>>
>>1524178
>that's like saying the person who invented the firearm is responsible for murderers using it to do badness.

You can hold them responsible for envisioning and implementing a system that was easily exploited by ambitious men.

Perhaps you can't hold Marius personally responsible, but you can hold his reforms accountable. In the same way you can't blame Marx for the Soviet Union, or Lenin for Stalinism, but you can still see how one couldn't happen without the other.
>>
File: image.png (102KB, 609x497px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
102KB, 609x497px
>>1523693
Did Christians defile that statue and brake of the nose?
>>
Slavery made the Marian reforms necessary. While the the reforms eventually led to the destruction of the republic, slavery is what really ruined Rome.
>>
>>1524358
Why do you suppose that.
>>
File: image.png (122KB, 1014x801px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
122KB, 1014x801px
>>1524728
I'm just asking a question.
>>
>>1524753
Many statues are duplicates/reproductions of even older ones, and Gaius Marius was celebrated for his extensive consularship, military victories and triumvirates to consecrate public buildings he had arranged.

The likeliest reason for the nose to go off, is because they usually do. Christians who would have gone through the trouble of sparing the statue in general would have been those that put value on most celebrated Romans, with notorious exceptions.
>>
File: gaius-marius-1.jpg (19KB, 209x351px) Image search: [Google]
gaius-marius-1.jpg
19KB, 209x351px
>>1523693
> Did I ever tell you the tale of Gracchus the wise?
>>
>>1523693
His reforms saved the republic but also killed it.
>>
>>1524753
I hate this fucking image. The polytheistic stoics were of the opinion that suicide was a perfectly acceptable alternative to living if life had become unbearable. They didn't consider it heroic, but they did consider it acceptable.
>>
>>1523693
Marius' reforms became necessary, as the Romans continued their expansion across the Mediterranean. The militia system of the republic had become unsustainable, and a professional army was the only possible option.

What killed the republic were the erosion of republican values and the continued polarisation of the political class. If the provincial governors had been kept on a tighter leash, and if the Roman constitution had been enforced more rigidly, the republic could have been sustainable with a professional military.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.