[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Egyptian gods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: anubis.png (840KB, 2000x4286px) Image search: [Google]
anubis.png
840KB, 2000x4286px
Hey /his/torians i have a question about egyptian gods. Did the egyptians think of their gods as real human-like beings who had relations and interactions with each other like the greeks did?
Or did they think of them more as a concept or a symbol for e.g. the sun or the nile.
Did they actually believe there was some being with the head of a jackal?
>>
All I know on this matter is Egyptians were crazy about symbolism. Their names and titles had different meanings at the same time, e.g being a "shooter" meant you were good at archery and ejaculated alot. Hieroglyphs are a form of symbolism in writing using pictures instead of words. Anubis with the head of a jackal was most likely derived from the jackals which would consume the dead and hung around dead bodies or people about to die.
>>
all the egyptian gods are real and the stories are to be believed, simple as that. why do you think meme magic is happening ? kek
>>
>>1523168
You know the Greek gods sometimes used to have sex with the Egyptian gods. Hell most of them were considered different names for the same dude. Thoth's temple was called Hermopolis for a reason, that isn't what the Egyptians called it.

They were both both, they are personifications.
>>
>>1523317
As far as i know this only happened after alexander conquered egypt. He wanted to make it more hellenic
>>
>>1523317
And i doubt very strongly that the greeks had a god of the nile and desert
>>
>>1523339
It wasn't that difficult to do though.

>>1523342
Most doesn't mean all.
>>
File: Serapis_Louvre_Ma_1830[1].jpg (1MB, 1130x1610px) Image search: [Google]
Serapis_Louvre_Ma_1830[1].jpg
1MB, 1130x1610px
>>1523317
>>1523339

Serapis best god.
>>
>>1523168
Well if you take it literally it would mean the big bang was caused by Atum climaxing after masturbating.
>>
>>1523168
>Or did they think of them more as a concept or a symbol for e.g. the sun or the nile.

You're asking the wrong question. They didn't think the way we do so its pointless to try and frame their beliefs and conceptions with our conceptual frame work.

Ancient people didn't distinguish between the inner and outer when it came to gods and spiritual beings. They were both real beings and metaphors, since they belonged to the realm of the psyche.

>Did they actually believe there was some being with the head of a jackal?

yes.
>>
>>1523168
>Did they actually believe there was some being with the head of a jackal?
It was symbolism, they saw their gods more like force, that's why they could fuse like Ra became Ra-Horakhty when merged with Horus or like the sun has different aspect ,Khepri, Ra and Atum, who where all different aspect of Ra.

Also don't forget that egyptian history is really long and their gods evolved with it, that's why they have different creator god: Ra, Pthah, Atum, Thoth were all considered the creator of the universe and the other gods depending of the time period or even the city.
>>
>>1523168
I remember hearing a story of a crazy high priest sucking an egyptian gods dick
Thats pretty real
>>
>>1524742
Tell me more
>>
>>1524756
I heard it from a coptic friend, exchange program back when I was in university

He was crazy neo-pagan and ate bacon all the time to prove it, also did copious amount of drugs as well. But we were hanging out and he ended up ranting about modesty, he then told me the story

>be high priest of Memphis
>get crazy visions
>seth or whoever the chaos god walks in
>says he will flood the nile worse than has ever been seen unless the priest sucks his dick
>priest sucks his dick, saves the day but later drowns in the nile checking to see if he averted a flood
>>
>>1524769
>and ate bacon all the time to prove i
There are Christians that still follow dietary laws? Didn't know that
>>
>>1524817
>>1524817
He said his family followed jewish dietary laws, must be something to do with super early christianity

I dont know enough about copts to tell if he was just memeing or it was the drugs or if its legit desu
>>
>>1523168
> Did the egyptians think of their gods as real human-like beings who had relations and interactions with each other like the greeks did? Or did they think of them more as a concept or a symbol for e.g. the sun or the nile. Did they actually believe there was some being with the head of a jackal?

Yes and No.

Their gods were considered human-like beings, symbols of concepts, and symbolized by real things. So Ra was the god of the Sun, symbolized the Sun, and the Sun symbolized Ra. By "symbol" I mean metaphor and form. The Sun both was metaphorically Ra and literally Ra's bodily form.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.