[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thomas Aquinas the Hypocrite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: hei.png (359KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hei.png
359KB, 1280x720px
>formulated his idea of "just" war, and declared that a war to "convert infidels or pagans" was inherently unjust
>still believed Albigensian Crusade and the persecution of the Waldensians was not only completely "justified", but necessary

Worst ""philosopher"" ever, if you ask me.
>>
File: 1466296155271.jpg (97KB, 439x457px) Image search: [Google]
1466296155271.jpg
97KB, 439x457px
>being a moral absolutist
>>
>>1521420
Neither the Albigensian Crusade nor the Waldensian persecutions were "Just" Wars, even by his own standards: but, he supported these, showing his pettiness and general lack of conviction, in that he only applied his guidelines of "Just" War to cases in which he didn't have a personal stake in. Otherwise, forget about them.
>>
>>1521420
>posting a smug anime face and meme arrows

You sure showed me.
>>
>>1521450
>moral absolutism
>>
>>1521399

Heretics =/= heathens.

Sounds to me like he was saying it was unjust to wage war on non-Christians JUST because they weren't Christian. Heresy was a different issue. At that time, it was regarded as a very real peril to the tenuous unity of Christendom and the immortal souls of hundreds of thousands. Cathars and Waldensians weren't seen as benignly diverse, they were cancers that threatened the physical and spiritual wellbeing of all Christians.
>>
>>1521476
It's not a question of moral absolutism, it's the matter of CONSISTENCY, around which the modern world revolves around.
>>
>>1521478
>Heresy was a different issue

A subjective claim.
>>
>>1521399
Except in Catholicism, pagan =/= heresy
Heresy = Christian sin, pagan = non-Christian
Crusade was against heretics, not pagan

Learn history.
>>
>>1521486
Heresy is when a Christian sinfully denies a divine truth. Paganism is a non-Christian religion. You can't be Christian and non-Christian at the same time in Catholicism, that breaks the law of non-contradiction.
>>
>>1521480
>It's not a question of moral absolutism
It is, putting X over Y no matter the context is absolutism.

>around which the modern world revolves around.
Most people have exceptions to their moral beliefs.
>>
>>1521486

No, it is by basic factual definition a different issue.
>>
>>1521489
>>1521497
The Albigensian Crusade didn't even fulfill Aquinas' Just War criterion:

The war was very much for self-gain (the church wanted its tithes, the French monarchy wanted to place Occitania under central control), and peace was never a central motive, but rather, complete extermination.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.