[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about this man, /his/. Was he a good leader? Could anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: devalera.png (152KB, 328x397px) Image search: [Google]
devalera.png
152KB, 328x397px
Tell me about this man, /his/. Was he a good leader? Could anyone else have done a better job of leading an independent Ireland?

Also-why the fuck did the Brits even let ROI happen? The rising failed, and I get that people were pissy but they at no point held a candle to the military force of Britain, right?
>>
>>1518307
He's a good guy but windows 10 sucks ass
>>
>>1518307
The rising failed but the ensuing guerilla war didn't.
>>
Eamon De Velera was a great man. He fought in the Easter rising and the war of independence and later became Prime Minister and then President. He kept Ireland neutral during world war 2 but his "going it alone" approach to world affairs kinda made Ireland poor.

And also, you are wondering how an independent Ireland happened when the rising failed. It's because in 1919 a war of independence started which succeeded in 1921.
>>
I guess he was not a bad leader. The church were too powerful under his leadership but without them we would have had way fewer teachers and people working in healthcare. He was a bit too isolationist also. I reckon we would have did better under Collins. All in all though I like him.

We beat the Brits in the war of independence but note we didn't become a republic then, the treaty led to us becoming the Free State. In 1937 we effectively became a republic but it wasn't until 1949 that we were officially one.
>>
>>1518307
top lad in the end. I didnt like his Collins era releases but he pulled his career back in his later life
>>
>>1518307
He was a massive cock, but he got the job done. He spent all of his time in the US fundraising during the actual war so he wouldn't get captured and executed. The money he ended up raising didn't buy jack shit, and he ended up getting taken to court in the US where he was forced to repay all the loans. He was treating them like "gifts," even though he clearly sold bonds.

A snake who got his position by being in the right place at the right time without getting shot.

The Brits let Ireland happen for the same reason they let America happen. Yeah, they could've deployed the full strength of their military and kept the territory by force but...why? Hostile people and the land itself didn't offer much to the rest of Britain.
>>
>>1518307
>Also-why the fuck did the Brits even let ROI happen? The rising failed, and I get that people were pissy
The Easter rising was possibly the only rebellion in Ireland where the majority of Irish people were on the side of the British government. However the British wasted that widespread support by their extended mass executions of Irish prisoners. Combine that with the governments wartime stranglehold over information, it caused a mass panic as no one had any idea how many people were getting shot over the following months.

The British should've just executed them all in one day, their dragging on of the executions probably lost them Ireland.
>>
>>1518556
Don't forget the conscription crisis, the effect it had on Ireland is usually overlooked but it was one of the main reasons that people began to support independence.
>>
A free-stater pro-treaty blueshirt Cumann na nGaedheal member professor and corporatist was teaching a class on Michael Collins, a known big fella.

"Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Collins and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than the heroes of 1916!"

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, anti-treaty IRA champion who had fought in 10 different flying columns and understood the necessity of physical force republicanism and fully supported all military decisions made by De Valera stood up and held up a treaty.

"What does this treaty give us?"

The arrogant professor smirked quite West Britishly and smugly replied "the freedom to achieve freedom, you stupid Irregular"

"Wrong. It’s been 1 year since Lloyd-George created it. If it gave us this freedom and constitutional nationalism, as you say, is real… then Ireland should be a republic now"

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of The Celtic Twilight. He stormed out of the room crying those free-stater crocodile tears. The same tears free-staters cry for the "casualties of war" (which could never make a republic not a worthy cause) when they jealously try to claw justly earned glory from the deserving De Valera. There is no doubt that at this point our professor wished he had voted against the treaty and become more than a swaddler traitor professor. He wished so much that he had an anti-treaty IRA squad to summarily execute him and spare embarrassment, but he himself had fought against them!
>>
The students applauded and became Republicans that day and accepted Patrick Pearse as their lord and savior. An eagle named "Irish Republic" flew into the room and perched atop the Starry Plough and shed a tear on the chalk. Amhrán na bhFiann was sang several times, and Wolfe Tone himself showed up and enacted a Republic of Ireland act across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of RUC brutality and was tossed into Connacht for all eternity.

Tiocfaidh ar la
>>
How did those glasses stay on
Also, did he really get saved from execution just for being American?
>>
>>1519169
He did yeah, but his role in 1916 was relatively minor in comparison to the leaders executed, and when his fate was to be decided, criticism of the executions began to mount.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.