[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophical stands on empathy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 030302.png (357KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
030302.png
357KB, 2000x2000px
so I was reading on Antinatalism, and it took me to Schopenhauer's Will, and it took me to Buddhism and I noticed all of these have grounds on empathy and wanting to extinguish suffering of human being. I dont recall ever reading anything on empathy. Is there some thesis about it or is it just assumed?
tl;dr why should I empathyse with humanity?
>>
Empathy is something you 'should' or 'shouldn't' do, it's something you have or don't have, it isn't voluntary.
>>
>>1517837
>I noticed all of these have grounds on empathy and wanting to extinguish suffering of human being.
normies cling to this so that
-they continue to be degenerate
-while they feel good about themselves for wanting people to be happy and ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''understanding'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' people's suffering.

too bad that normies fail to see that dukkha is explicitly
-ignorance of fleeing pains, clinging to pleasure
-fleeing pains
-clinging to pleasure

also, empathy is a bad translation of metta and karuna

and you can only get baby-tier metta or karuna before awakening
>>
It's most likely a survival mechanism(from a darwinian approach and not paying attention to a metaphysical aspect atm). If we can empathize with others of our species and with other species, it makes for more cooperation, and our species usually does fairly well when we cooperate. There are those who can't biologically feel empathy, but that trait is necessary for certain types of decision making. I would say it's directly correlated with emotional intelligence(being able to read facial expressions, understand a feeling through a tone of voice, cultural artifacts, etc.), but beyond that it becomes somewhat on the boundary of empirical absolutes and metaphysical/abstract absolutes, to where we don't have the right amount/type of drugs yet to understand it on that level or something cool like that. It could also just literally be different frequencies of electricity that our brain gives off, and those who show traits of less empathy sometimes have out of the baseline of what we consider normal to be defects in the structure of the brain. But I'm just an absurdist that likes psychology because it uses big words, so there's that.
>>
>>1517865
>also, empathy is a bad translation of metta and karuna
well I meant in a more general way. As in the only purpose for nirvana in the first place is to end dukkha (I might be wrong it was just a quick read)
>>1517880
>>>/sci/
seriously though, your post does makes sense, but I'm asking in a philosophical approach.

Is there some basis for lack of empathy or such a person will always be a deformity?
>>
empathy is the ability of the consciousness to get out of your body and ego, transmit itself to another human being(or other things) get a sense of what it is to be him, understand that he feels exactly like you both pain and pleasure and come to the conclusion both emotionally and logically that it is good when they feel pleasure and bad when they feel pain.

It's quite simply a side effect of our developed intelligence
>>
Empathy is something you have instinctively, though it can be inhibited by various factors (autism, personality disorders, etc.). If you already have empathy, valuing it is obvious. If you don't, valuing it is less obvious, but it's still useful to conduction yourself as a social organism, and so it's worth taking the time to properly cultivate.
>>
>>1517902
>well I meant in a more general way. As in the only purpose for nirvana in the first place is to end dukkha (I might be wrong it was just a quick read)
in the dhamma, whatever you experience is not personal and most of your life is spend fantasizing. you cannot experience other people experience and empathy in the common sens of the word is just pure fantasy. the problem is that normies take what they feel for personal and they act on this and cling to pleasing sensations.
so in the dhamma, you can see the dukkha of other people, without taking it personnaly
>>
>>1517917
>Empathy is something you have instinctively, though it can be inhibited by various factors (autism, personality disorders, etc.)

You see, I think this is an issue with how we describe empathy. It's not a single thing. Both an autistic person and someone with ASPD lack empathy, but it's not the same form. A person with autism lacks cognitive empathy, as in they just can't understand other people and what they're experiencing, it's alien to them, so they'll seem to not care about a persons emotions, but it's just that they don't get it.

Someone who has ASPD gets what they're experienging, but lacks in emotional empathy, so they just don't care about it.

The first kind is vital to us being able to operate with other people at all, you need to be able to tell what they're thinking and feeling to some degree. The second one is important, but less so in certain situations. It's most important in the functioning of society overall, as if people simply don't care about anyone else or what they're feeling and is simply in it for themselves, collaboration becomes incredibly difficult.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.