[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What new lie about France is going to be spread now? Fucking hell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 282
Thread images: 26

File: dunkirk-480x279.jpg (38KB, 480x279px) Image search: [Google]
dunkirk-480x279.jpg
38KB, 480x279px
What new lie about France is going to be spread now? Fucking hell
>>
for fucks sake what fucking bullshit

PEOPLE WEREN'T IN FUCKING BOATS LEARN YOUR FUCKING HISTORY!!!!!!

DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS WTF?!
>>
>>1513758
Wtf I hate boats now.
>>
Beaches?
What fucking beaches, there weren't any ffs!
>>
>>1513757
May not be historically accurate but I am excited to see it.
>>
>>1513789
this

it was filmed in my town so I might watch it
>>
>>1513790
you're from weymouth?
>>
>>1513795
yeah lad

it was mainly filmed in dunkirk but they did a wee bit down here
>>
If you surrender to historys most evil villain after 5 weeks do you really deserve to be held in high esteem and remembered well?
>>
>>1513798
I saw about in the echo, with locals queuing at the pavi to become extras
>>
>Dunkirk

Boring. At least make it about Case Red
>>
>>1513757
unless you've read the script stop moaning already, christ
>>
>>1513807
What the hell are you talking about? The Brits were the ones who fled, neither the French nor the Germans surrendered to them.
>>
>>1513814
This. Apperently, there are already Dunkirk movies from 1958 and 1964 as well as a TV series from 2004. It's redundant to make another movie about the same shit. There's probably nothing about Case Red even though such a movie could convey an interesting atmosphere.
>>
>>1513814
>>1513879

I heard they tried to make a movie about the fall of France but there was only enough material for half an hour of film.
>>
File: 0fbezxrt.gif (1MB, 300x198px) Image search: [Google]
0fbezxrt.gif
1MB, 300x198px
>>1513807
>historys most evil villain
>>
File: dunn.jpg (114KB, 1099x631px) Image search: [Google]
dunn.jpg
114KB, 1099x631px
>>1513757
Expect heavy revisionism for that movie The whole Dunkirk episode was basically British soldiers getting evacuated while French troops held the Germans back
Can't show that to the Anglo audience though, so they'll have to make up fictious British heroism

For those interested by the real Dunkirk, here's a video that summarize the whole event very accurately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY
>>
Nolan has always made entertaining films. So I'm gunna roll a joint and watch it at the drive in and enjoy it.
>>
>>1513807
>surrender

Well France surrendered but after being beaten.
>>
>>1513933

Nonsense. The Miracle of Dunkirk was about brave old Blighty rescuing huge numbers of trapped French, Belgian and British soldiers by plucky derring-do with every boat they could get their hands on while British fighters fought in the skies.
>>
>>1513933
>that account

>French Military Victories
>The French Kings of England
>England, Colony of France
>Epic French History !

Got a teeny feeling that guy may be a bit bias in favour of the French
>>
>>1513757

it shows how the cowardly brits ran away
>>
>>1513952
this. Us french fought to the very fucking end in the war, while the eternal anglo ran like a coward.
>>
>>1513815
ONLY TOMMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeee
>>
>>1513927
t. Burger MacBeefin
>>
>>1513949
Well, try to find something wrong in the video
He only presented verifiable facts
>>
>>1513955
Let's not go full retard either, Pierre, may we?
You French surrendered like cowards while Brits ran away like cowards.
The only moment you showed bravery was when saving the Brits at Dunkirk

Now what's unfair is that your cowardice in that war is well known while the one of the Brits isnt
You can even see Brits on the internet having the guts to mock the French for WW2, which is insane considering how they fared in that conflict

t. objective German guy
>>
>>1513967
>t. objective German guy
>>
WAS CHURCHILL JUST COVERING HIS ASS?

Maybe not, seems pretty based.

Whatcha think /his/?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_evacuation#Analysis

>In France, the unilateral British decision to evacuate through Dunkirk rather than counter-attack to the south, and the perceived preference of the Royal Navy for evacuating British forces at the expense of the French, led to some bitter resentment.

>According to Churchill, French Admiral François Darlan originally ordered that the British forces should receive preference, but on 31 May, he intervened at a meeting in Paris to order that the evacuation should proceed on equal terms and that the British would form the rearguard.[105] In fact, the 35,000 men who finally surrendered after covering the final evacuations were mostly French soldiers of 2nd Light Mechanized Division and the 68th Infantry Division.[106][107] Their resistance allowed the evacuation effort to be extended to 4 June, on which date another 26,175 Frenchmen were transported to England.[64]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunkirk#Evacuation

> In the nine days from 27 May–4 June, 338,226 men escaped, including 139,997 French, Polish, and Belgian troops, together with a small number of Dutch soldiers, aboard 861 vessels (of which 243 were sunk during the operation).

>The last of the British Army left on 3 June, and at 10:50, Tennant signalled Ramsay to say "Operation completed. Returning to Dover." However, Churchill insisted on coming back for the French, so the Royal Navy returned on 4 June in an attempt to rescue as many as possible of the French rearguard. Over 26,000 French soldiers were evacuated on that last day, but between 30,000 and 40,000 more were left behind and forced to surrender to the Germans.[39]

>However, Churchill insisted on coming back for the French
>>
>>1513972
that is all anglo bullshit

us french saved your coward asses, churchill was a fat moron
>>
>>1513972
>Although Churchill had promised the French that the British would cover their escape, on the ground it was the French who held the line while the last remaining British soldiers were evacuated.
>Enduring concentrated German artillery fire and Luftwaffe strafing and bombs, the French stood their ground.
>On 2 June (the day the last of the British units embarked onto the ships),[Notes 2] the French began to fall back slowly, and by 3 June the Germans were about two miles (3 km) from Dunkirk.
>The night of 3 June was the last night of evacuations. At 10:20 on 4 June, the Germans hoisted the swastika over the docks from which so many British and French troops had escaped under their noses.[35][36][37]

Tl;dr: The French took care of holding the Germans while British troops were getting evacuated
Then, after all Brits got evacuated, some of the French were hastly evacuated as well during the little remaining time
>>
Will there ever be a thread involving discussion of the Battle of France with actual good historical discussion or will they always be a handful of decent posts dotted around in a sea of /int/ retardation and parroted myths?
>>
> 92,000 French soldiers killed in action in a month
> 3,000 British soldiers killed in action in a month

Brits were heroic, Frogs were spineless cowards: it sums up many British "historians"

t. not a French
>>
>>1513983
fuck off you anglo cuck
>>
>>1513983
stfu french faggot
>>
File: 1466320399148.jpg (258KB, 1024x1222px) Image search: [Google]
1466320399148.jpg
258KB, 1024x1222px
>>1513879
liberals and libertarians cling to WWII because it is all that they have to promote their doctrine.
>>
File: 1427149872086.png (244KB, 490x467px) Image search: [Google]
1427149872086.png
244KB, 490x467px
One of my favourite images to trigger *nglos when they claim they defeated Germany
>>
>>1513984

You entirely miss the point, no Brit historian claims what you are saying.

Dunkirk isn't remembered has being a heroic military action. It was a humiliation for the army.

It's remembered because hundreds of Brit civilians showed up in everything from tug boats to fishing boats to life boats to speedboats to evacuate the British Army and hundreds of thousands of stinky baguette eaters while under air attack from ze Luftewaffe.
>>
>>1513757
t. Eternal Frank
>>
>>1513982
>some

Over 100,000 were
>>
>>1514032
Half the civilian boats were French, and some were even Dutch
>>
I was taught that Hitler let Brits escape at Dunkirk since he wanted good relations. /his/ seem to disagree. Can somebody explain why do you believe it is incorrect, and why does general public think it is correct?
>>
>>1514040

>half the civilian boats were French.

According to a Youtube account belonging to "theCajun Cutthroat".

It's true a small number were Belgian and Dutch though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ships_of_Dunkirk
>>
>>1514048

There is a lot of debate over that. Some historians maintain that Hitler let the Allies escape but most of the evidence seems to point that the Germans halted to consolidate their position and didn't even contemplate that vast numbers of civilian craft would be mobilised to whisk the allies away before they could be crushed so that's the general consensus.

Which you want to believe is up to you, it's a matter of opinion. I can't be arsed to argue either way. I'm just answering your question.
>>
>>1514048
It's a shitty myth
The truth is that the halt wasnt ordered by Hitler but by a general and the goal wasnt to let the British escape but to avoid overextended supply lines

The myth of "Hitler admired Brits so he let them escape" was invented by some British naziboo long after the war to make it seem that the nazis he admired so much admired his country too
>>
>>1513967
>when saving the Brits at Dunkirk
Hard to save anyone when they weren't under threat in the first place.
>>
>>1514069
In every nazi map, Brits are Aryan and Hitler in some speeches sounded at least neutral, if not positive towards the Brits.

It didn't have to be about admiration, just about pure logic. British were still one of the most powerful empire in the world and alliance with them would almost instantly give Hitler global domination.
>>
>>1514076
So they ran away out of pure cowardice tather than cowardice and survival instinct?
>>
>>1514082
>British were still one of the most powerful empire in the world

They truly werent
This myth died as soon as WW1 started and gave the proof that the collection of irrelevant shitholes Britain ruled there and there didnt even permit them to equal the military might of a lone Central European country
>>
>>1514084
Neither. A tactical retreat to come back and fight isn't cowardice. On the contrary, it's a show of initiative. German armor was under orders to halt either way, not out of mercy as many Wehraboos will claim, but to preserve manpower and armor for Case Red while the Luftwaffe sank as many British ships as they could and let's be frank, it was a god damn turkey shoot. There's a reason most of the losses at Dunkirk were in the channel and not on land.
>>
>>1514088

Tell us more about your knowledge of WW1 and history in general.

Everyone's dying to hear the opinion of someone who doesn't even know what countries were in WW1.

People like you are why /his/ is a failed board.
>>
>>1513757
France is a muslim shithole, i hope Russia will nuke us and end our suffering.

t. french
>>
>>1514048
During the first phase of the Battle of France, Hitler was always paranoid about flank attacks into his rapidly advancing mobile units so he ordered them to halt at several occasions to enable the infantry to catch up. The same happened before Dunkirk, however, that halt order is generally regarded as a mistake because there was no real threat of a flank attack.
>>
>>1513967
t. objective German guy, your objectivity doesn't cover your lack of objective education. For instance, you certainly did not know that the Luftwaffe lost more planes in France than over England (and the channel of course) eventhough the Battle of France lasted twice less than the Battle of England. You certainly do not know about the battle of Hannut, where the mighty German tanks, with the support of the mighty German Luftwaffe and the mighty German artillery, lost the first tank battle in history to French tanks in numerical inferiority. You certainly do not know the sacrifices of the Free French Forces, the Resistance, and even the civilians. You probably do not even know about Bir Hakeim.

My ancestors did not "surrendered like cowards". My ancestors trusted the Savior of Verdun to bring France ina desperate situation to victory once more (which was possible whatever you may say, but at huge cost), while this arsehole used the opportunity to access power and settle his own little fascist dictatorship for himself. Even in 1944 the French were not opposed to Petain, Hans. Even in 1944. While only 20% supported Laval and the collaboration, Pétain still had 80% of the population behind him. We were betrayed. The day after this faggot got to power, he reached out to the Germans for the armistice. And you motherfucker blame the whole French people for it? Do you really want to start such a game, Hans?

ps: you can call me Pierre actually, despite me not being the one you responded to in the first place.
>>
>>1514251
>80% of the people supported him
>he unilaterally collaborated with Germany
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>1514269
80% of the people were still behind him at the end of the war is what I said. Thus I do not fully comprehend your rhetoric. Please develop.
>>
>>1514278
If the people are behind him and his actions, it's not a betrayal and his actions weren't unilateral.
>>
>>1514251

Hi Pierre, I'm going to call you Pierre even though I'm not the objective German guy.

The Germans lost 2,233 planes in the Battle of France and 1,977 in the Battle of Britain so nowhere near twice as many.

Furthermore a large proportion of the planes lost in the Battle of Britain would have been big strategic bombers resembling a much greater loss of manpower and resources than fighters shot down in dogfighting in France.

Of course some of the planes lost by the Germans in the Battle of France would have been shot down by the Brits rather than the French anyway. The Germans lost over 100 planes to the RAF while trying to attack Dunkirk during the evacuation.
>>
>>1514285
Are you completely retarded or just illiterate ?

" While only 20% supported Laval and the collaboration, Pétain still had 80% of the population behind him."

I did say people were behind him. But they did not want to see his actions as his. What the fuck can't you understand in this dozen words for Christ's sake?
>>
>>1513934
>Driving
>whilst high
Your brain should tell you only one is the viable option
>>
>>1513967
Sure I'm guessing your 'german' ancestors emigrated from Alsace and Loraine to America
>>
>>1514296
>Are you completely retarded or just illiterate ?
I could ask you the same question since you can't read English and can barely type it.

>I did say people were behind him. But they did not want to see his actions as his. What the fuck can't you understand in this dozen words for Christ's sake?
What can't you? The people were behind Petain. You can't just meme and say "Well, they agreed with this because they plugged their ears and screamed loudly when told not to." If the people agree with the action, it's not a betrayal. It became a betrayal under the Free France administration and their revisionism.

Can anyone translate this to French for me so the frog can understand?
>>
>>1514102
>A tactical retreat to come back and fight isn't cowardice

If you come back, indeed
But if you hide for 4 years until Daddy USA arrives...
>>
>>1514294
My numbers are 1059 in BoF and 1052 in BoE. Which correlates more to the number of airmen prisoners fallen over France, the French government did not trust the Brits with (about a thousand, with bombers having more than the pilot in it). However, again my words are misinterpreted. I'm sorry about my level of communication in English as it seems to be lacking. I simply said the BoF lasted twice less than the BoE. 2 months VS 4 months. I do believe that's what's written up there...

Also.. "big strategic bombers"? In 1940's Luftwaffe ? How many classes did you miss every day? Come on, it did not have any "big strategic bomber", and to many that is the reason they lost BoE, because bireactors (the biggest they had) would be more vulnerable to everything, even the light armament of 12.7 mm Brownings Spits and Hurricanes were equipped with in 1940. Also, what the Brits really shot down were Stukas (completely useless at this stage of the war), and that the French did not shot enough in France.

>Of course some of the planes lost by the Germans in the Battle of France would have been shot down by the Brits rather than the French anyway. The Germans lost over 100 planes to the RAF while trying to attack Dunkirk during the evacuation.

I see you kept the best for the end. That is, of course, undeniable. Still my point is that the French fought, and the Battle of France should not be as overlooked as it generally is to the BoE.
>>
>>1514318
What were they going to do? Repeatedly throw themselves against a numerically superior force until they had nothing left? They weren't suicidal. They came back with reinforcements.
>>
>>1514102
>There's a reason most of the losses at Dunkirk were in the channel and not on land.

The British losses maybe, mostly because the British didnt take part in the fight to hold back the Germans during the evacuation
The French lost thousands of men in that fight around Dunkirk
>>
hey guys im burger whats going on here
>>
>>1514327
Casualties on land: 11,000 killed, 30,000 captured
Deaths of those in the channel: 68,000
So yeah, no.
>>
>>1514313
I'll use simple words, it's best for both of us.
Collaboration was supported up to 20% of the French people. Collaboration is an action of Pétain but this was not known before after the war (history vs journalism blabla). The French did not want to believe it was Pétain's order and rather gave "credit" to Laval. They could then still believe in Pétain while condemning collaboration. Do you still miss something? (also nobody reads you anyway so don't pretend you're on some kind of stage).

>Well, they agreed with this because they plugged their ears and screamed loudly when told not to

You clearly do not realize the power of propaganda. That's weird for someone giving a bit of his money to the Queen every month. I would think you'd know a tale or two.
https://www.google.fr/search?q=propagande+p%C3%A9tain&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBpvqYgq3OAhXGfxoKHRc0CG4Q_AUICCgB&biw=2400&bih=1194&dpr=0.8
The people did not agree with the actions. You have several examples of it but really I don't intend to do the research for you atm.
>>
>>1514336
The two shitholes that got BTFO by Germany in 1940 are arguing
>>
>Glorifying cockroaches abandoning their ally
>>
>>1514339
French casualties on land: 10,000 dead
British casualties on land: 1,000 dead

French casualties on sea: 7,000 dead
British casualties on sea: 61,000 dead

Basically, most Brits died as cowards while fleeing while most French died heroically while covering the escape
>>
>>1513927
Instead they made saving private ryan which is almost completely fictional.
>>
>>1513973
>>1513982
Covering his ass you both say. I think I agree.
>us french saved your coward asses
Calm the fuck down Frenchie I'm an Amerifat

Try fucking decaf bro
>>
File: tea-drinking-evacuating-monkeys.jpg (156KB, 1135x703px) Image search: [Google]
tea-drinking-evacuating-monkeys.jpg
156KB, 1135x703px
>>1514343
It's not like it's the first time Brits did that
In 1795, British faggots also fled the continent before French advance, abandonning their Dutch and German allies to the invaders

In 1940 they did the same except the roles were reversed (German invaders, French allies)
>>
>>1514032
Brits literally say : the miracle of dunkirk
>>
>>1514351
So fucking what?

America only fucking exists because of the French.
>>
Let's go /his/ pull your shit together

Let's have an actual historical discussion

All this /b/ tier bullshit with the MUH ETERNAL ANGLO and MUH FRENCH VALOR and MUH SURRENDER MONKEYS is some seriously pathetic crap.
>>
>>1514360
Calm the fuck down Pierre and have a fucking Xanax.

Y'all got Medical Marijuana over there?

Jayzus fucking Christ calm the fuck down before you have a stroke.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-30+at+02.24.50).png (37KB, 969x565px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-30+at+02.24.50).png
37KB, 969x565px
>>1513757

recently the meme that French tanks and aircraft were so superior to the German wehrmacht was pretty popular.

Also people arguing that France could have single-handedly invaded germany instead of agreeing to the Munich treaties
>>
>>1514360
>I'M A FUCKING HUGE INTERNET TOUGH GUY AND I WILL FUCKING FIGHT YOU ALL WITHOUT READING ANYTHING YOU WRITE
>>
>>1514358
They evacuated with their allies as success was impossible. That's literally what the passage says.
>>
>>1514361
Alright. Were there any british indian soldiers there?

I was reading a book about India's contribution to WW2, and I read something like the first time the brits went on a successful victory was with the indians in italian east africa.
>>
>>1514347
1.) That doesn't refute anything I've stated thus far.
2.) Your frogness is showing, monsieur.
>>
>>1514372
Poo in the loo
>>
>>1514373
According the the objective YouTube account "FrenchSupremacy" the English all started crying as soon as they saw the enemy, and wanted to run away ASAP.
>>
>>1514380
Sounds pretty accurate to me
>>
>>1514379
Shitpost in the Reddit.
>>
>>1513757
Why are WWII movies either

>le ebil nazis get defeated by the heroic anglos
or
>le ebil japs who eat babies get defeated by the heoric anglos

It's the same thing every time. Why don't they give us something new and more interesting? For example, a movie about the Japanese who went to China to fight the imperialistic ambitions of their own country or a movie about Azad Hind and how the British caused the Burma Famine?
>>
>>1514419
>For example, a movie about the Japanese who went to China to fight the imperialistic ambitions of their own country
Several of those exist in both Japanese and Chinese. You don't hear about them because no one gives a shit.
>>
>>1514426
No one gives a shit because western cinema makes people think that every Japanese person at that time was "ready kill themselves for le emperor :DD". When in reality, most people were just trying to survive in Japan and many were even against the empire. It's propaganda and you know it.
>>
>>1514438
More like no one gives a shit because they aren't fucking Japanese or Chinese. It's the same reason you don't get movies in English about fucking Denmark or fucking Poland in WWII. No one cares.
>>
>>1513955
The French fought like lions to the very start of the war.
>>
>>1514419
Krauts should be reminded that they ruined Europe
>>
>>1513929
The Nazis were Saturday morning cartoon villains bro.
>>
>>1514449
But le etheral anglo ruined their effort
>>
>>1514299
>Not having a drive in theater like 5 minutes away
I don't even have to bring my car
>>
>>1513807
>historys most evil villain
nice mim
>>
>>1513757
>>1513836
>>1513933
>>1513952
>>1513958
>>1513973
>>1513983
>>1513984
>>1514343
>>1514419
Maybe you cucks should start making your own movies then. Of course the eternal anglo is going to portray himself as hero.
>>
>>1514624
We did
It depicts the French as disillusioned fuckers who just wait for the end while doing dumb shit (like raping civilians) and Brits as cowardly fucks who refuse to take the French with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2zvHcQvyc
>>
>>1513790
DOXED
>>
>>1514681

You've only got yourselves to blame then.
>>
>>1514359
As in: "That they all got out was a miracle". When they first started the evacuation they didn't think they'd be able to even get half of the BEF out of Dunkirk.
>>
>>1514686
what's my name then lad
>>
>>1513927
Hey ohh!
>>
>>1515689
>When they first started the evacuation they didn't think they'd be able to even get half of the BEF out of Dunkirk.

That's what would've happened if it wasnt for the French heroical resistance in Lille

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Lille_(1940)#Aftermath
>>
>>1513757

Do you think they will show the French forces holding off the Germans so the Brits can rout successfully or will it be the BRAVE BRITISH DEFENDERS holding the Germans off so the rest can heroically run away leaving men, equipment, and arms?
>>
File: 1374792292295.png (38KB, 643x839px) Image search: [Google]
1374792292295.png
38KB, 643x839px
>>1513757
>>
>>1514299
Kek the drive in serves beer.
>>
>>1514624
>being so pathetic you have to use the media to make yourself look good
I think the anglos are the true cucks in this situation.
>>
>>1515891
And the French soldiers also evacuated at Dunkirk would have been cut off too.

I wonder who they have playing Admiral Abrial, since he was in overall command of the city and the evacuation.
>>
>>1514624
A French film would just heap disproportionate praise on France's allies while being highly self-critical because doing otherwise would be seen as distasteful and cringey arrogance in France.
>>
General Georg von Küchler, commander of the XVIIIth army of the Wehrmacht, entirely engaged around Dunkirk, this is taken from his war diary:

"Despite our overwhelming superiority in men and hardware numbers, the french troops are counter-attacking in several places. I can't understand how those soldiers, sometimes fighting at one versus ten (or even one versus thirty in some areas), can find enough strength to assault us: this is simply amazing ! I see in those french soldiers the same energy than with the veterans of Verdun in 1916. For several days now, hundreds of bombers and guns are pounding the french defence. But, it's always the same thing: our infantry and panzers can't break through, despite some local and ephemeral successes. The french high command has very smartly set up his troops and artillery. I fear that the Dunkirk operation could be a failure for all of us: almost all the BEC and the biggest part of the french 1st Army will escape, because a few thousands of braves block the path to the sea. That's distressing, but that's it !
Dunkirk brings the proof that the french soldier is one of the best in the world. The french artillery, already dreaded in 1914, demonstrates once more its efficiency. Our losses are terrifying: numerous battallions have lost 60% of their men, sometimes even more !
By resisting ten days or more to our much bigger forces, the french army has accomplished, in Dunkirk, a superb achievement that you must pay tribute to.
They have certainly saved Great-Britain from the defeat, by allowing the british professional army to reach the british coast."
>>
>>1516272

no lol the french are pussies surrendering lol fucking eat cheese and wine WOO FREEDOM FRIES
>>
>>1514016
>liberals and libertarians cling to WWII because it is all that they have to promote their doctrine
or maybe because it was a huge ass cool war but whatever dude
>>
>>1517565
>cool war
>majority civilian casualties

Ok Kévin, go back to WoW now
>>
>>1513757
>humans fought in WW2
nice meme Nolan
>>
>>1514323
Not to mention locking down the air and sea of Europe, and fighting across the Mediterranean, North Africa, and Asia.
>>
>>1513947
>Miracle of Dunkirk
>Same thing as the attack on Dunkirk
Wew lad.
>>
>>1513967
em...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bir_Hakeim

French also saved the US 9th Army's butt during Operation Nordwind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Nordwind
>>
>>1514681
huh...so the Krauts are the good guys?
>>
>>1514069
>but by a general

And not by just a general but field marshal Rundstedt.
>>
>Lets still try to fight even after being completely encircled and lose the entire army instead of retreating it to continue the fight later on

French military """"Strategy"""""
>>
>>1519899
The Germans did literally the same thing in Russia though...
>>
>>1513757
WE
>>
>>1513757
Where is the diversity? I bet that's why they lost the war.
>>
>>1520268
And they lost the war.
>>
>>1520529
desu papa sam didn't save their arses
>>
>>1514318
Fuckibg retard

What is the north and East African campaign?
Allied invasion of Italy?
>>
>>1514624
well, we anglos are the true heroes of history, so it makes sense
>>
>>1515726
Wey Mouth
>>
>>1513757
>What new lie about France is going to be spread now? Fucking hell
>Frenchmen were brave soldiers defending their freedom from evil German overlords
sounds about right.
>>
>tfw no Zeebrugge Raid movie
>>
>>1514369
>in thousands of 2 thousands
>>
>>1522812
literally a lot of things but british exclusives
>>
>>1524384
do you count the EA campaign as indian?
>>
>>1520315
dat sneaky Italy tho
>>
>>1514016

>its an "alt-rightist says something retarded" episode
>>
>>1514369
>recently the meme that French tanks and aircraft were so superior to the German wehrmacht was pretty popular.
French aircraft were a notch below.
French tanks were literally invincible to German tanks.
>>
>>1513955
your army collapsed completely and left the british with a stark choice, evacuate, be accussed of cowardice but retain enough of a army to fight on and win, or allow the collapse of france to cause the collapse of britain as well and let our army be destroyed trying to win a battle already lost.

the french rail against the british for evacuating at dunkirk because blaming the british for that failure allows them to pretend that they didnt fail even worse, that their vaunted military collapsed in less time than poland for all their boasting and their pride.

the british evacuated, because it was a choice between evacuation or capitulation, they got as many french out as possible and continued the war, fought on even when the germans offered generous terms because we had promised to liberate our allies, the british fought on and hundreds of thousands of them died, and in the end france was freed again.

the french can complain about the british evacuating but ultimately it was the best decision for the future of france as well as britain, certainly better than the british army staying in place and being destroyed
>>
>>1524702
D520 equipped squadrons achieved a 2.5 kd ratio vs BF 109 (the Graal of Spitfire squadrons). However, it was designed around simplicity of production, which made one buildable in the same time as a Hurricane (a third of a Spitfire if you recall). Arguably a quite decent fighter.
>>
>>1524931
you are well annoying to read, but let me clarify this bit: we blame the anglo not for fleeing at Dunkirk (you can't go against your nature after all), but for coming back every year celebrating this massive British Victory.
My brother in law is from Dunkirk. Every year you guys make some kind of parade. Every year French veterans boo them. The attitude, the make up of history really attracts the critics upon you. That, and the fact of course that you cannot fight for shit.
Finally, the phrase "Your army collapsed completely" doesn't really match with "but still managed to save our fleeing arses", does it?
>>
>>1526189
>>1524702

On that note I would like to add that your are globaly right, since at the start of the war, 18 D520 were in service, and the other French fighters were indeed a notch below BF109s. But the French hope remains true, and in only 2 months, the Armée de l'Air had about 600 D520s. Incredible, isn't it? God, what would history be if not for le strikes of 1930s?
>>
>>1526199
The French weapons were good (aside from the M.S. 406). But even if they had enough numbers of them, would the French military had the morale to use them effectively? The problem in 1940 wasn't the French being outgunned; it was the military largely breaking down when it got the notion that it was losing.

Obviously there were numerous exceptions, De Gaulle, Lille, and Dunkirk chief amongst them, but for the most part the French military rout wasn't a meme. Something had happened to the French military culture.
>>
>>1513955
>Us french
Oh you were there?
>>
>>1526207
WW1 has destroy French war culture, they went from the most Warmongering country in the world to the most pacifist, WW1 is the most important event in French history since the Revolution.
>>
>>1526195
Not him, but you're making an idiot out of yourself. He provides a thoughtful way to look at the situation which makes a whole lot of sense, whereas in response you just bitch about things entirely irrelevant to what he said.

If you don't have a point, save the comment for someone who does
>>
>>1526195
Okay... You don't like the brits. Got something to say pertaining to the discussion? Or are you another reason this thread is pathetic
>>
>>1513929
That's what they're remembered as, /pol/ack
>>
>>1526257
>>1526259

>the french rail against the british for evacuating at dunkirk
replied by
> we blame the anglo not for fleeing at Dunkirk, but for coming back every year celebrating this massive British Victory.

I do believe my post was aimed at and answered this bit of comment pertinently. But thank you both for adding not one, but two pertinent "comments" to the discussion.

ps: I don't "don't like the brits". I hate the English attitude in general. Brits are mostly irrelevant and I would not embarrass myself with feelings towards them.
>>
Any good books on France's involvement in WW1 or 2?
>>
>>1514251
congrats pierre, you won a battle or two. you still got btfo by germany :^)
>>
>>1526266
US History right here
>>
>>1513952
I'm sure you would choose certain death or imprisonment rather than retreat anon.
>>
>>1514624
WAAAAA! WWWAAAAAAAA! IS ALL DEM SNEAKY ANGLOS FAULTS N SHIIET!
>>
LOL This is my first time on /his/ in months.

This board is fucking terrible.
>>
>>1513927
Kek
>>
>>1526195

> cant fight for shit.
> owned most of the world at one point.
>>
>>1526942
Agreed. It is a shame. I was really excited about this board when it was released.
>>
>>1526272
>ps: I don't "don't like the brits". I hate the English attitude in general. Brits are mostly irrelevant and I would not embarrass myself with feelings towards them.

You've got some weapons-grade autism
>>
>>1526195
the french army acted like a chicken with its head cut off except when faced with a simple mission, and the british also evacuated the majority of the french from dunkirk.

the battle of france was a french failure, far more than a british one, and what is celebrated at dunkirk is the action of the british navy and the civilian volunteers in pulling off one of the most successful evacuations under fire in history
>>
File: Britain's false empire.png (477KB, 886x2414px) Image search: [Google]
Britain's false empire.png
477KB, 886x2414px
>>1527037
>>
>>1527037
> owned most of the world at one point.
proposed fix:
>coloured red the unexplored areas on a world map, sitting in a tweed covered chair in London, next to a flask of German tears, a smug smile on the face.
>>
File: 1434232430329.jpg (21KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
1434232430329.jpg
21KB, 250x240px
>>1527576
>Spaniards unironically claim Habsburg dominions are their own
>>
>>1527570
The reason the evacuation was a success is because the French held off the Germans against all odds you dumbass.
>>
ITT: Ally's austim.
>>
>>1527576
always felt that image was a it disingenuous,

the roman empire was the only one of those empires arguably better than the british, and giving credit for the roman empire to the current italians is a bit of a stretch, of the others the spanish empire in europe was principally acquired via marriage not conquest, and their colonial empire involved beating up even weaker opposition than the british and was largely lost as a result of british interference.

the french and german empires both had very brief existances before being destroyed, in both instances britain played a significant role in the demolition.

and while with the exception of india, where the locals were normally western trained and gun/cannon equipped, local opposition was generally weak, britain established its empire in the face of the opposition of all of the other great powers, fighting the french, dutch and spanish to establish its ownerrship of territories as well as subduing the natives, canada for example had natives for sure but it was the french the british fought and defeated to claim canada, the same for india and most of africa, britain didnt just have to subdue natives they had to beat the other europeans who wanted the territory
>>
>>1527608
and because after the battle of arras the germans paused to regroup.

and if hundreds of civilian ships hadnt volunteered it wouldnt have mattered how long the french held on for
>>
>>1524931
I have never heard French people blaming Britain for evacuating. It's your obesely obnoxious attitude of calling the French cowards despite faring no better than them and owing them your army's survival that's despicable.
>>
>>1527623
Congrats you win the prize for running away fast.
>>
>>1527624
they bitch about the evacuation, but never thank us for honouring the promise to return, despite the fact that we could have had excellent terms from the germans.

and as for calling them cowards, its not like the majority of the french army didnt suffer a major moral collapse, sure a corps around dunkirk held but the majority of the french army went to pieces
>>
>>1527637
And what did the British army do except run away under French cover and then mock the French from the safety of your island?

Nobody but Anglos does this kind of cowardly shit.
>>
File: France vs the world and wins.jpg (729KB, 1701x2005px) Image search: [Google]
France vs the world and wins.jpg
729KB, 1701x2005px
>>1527616
The point is other European empires fought other, technologically advance European powers in large, pitched wars.

Meanwhile, the anglos made their empire off killing natives with stick and running back to their island whenever they faced a real foe.

>"b-but we ended the empires!"
France and Germany both ended each others empires. anglos just provided a small force.
>>
>>1527645
fought a couple of battles and were the only force to retain any real cohesion, the principal problem with complaining about british action or inaction is that the actions of the british and indeed the french forces with the british were largely irrelevant in the face of the complete collapse further south.

>>1527658
because the british never deployed large armies to continental europe, not at blenheim, not at minden, the british didnt fight large pitched battles often because they didnt need to, when they did they won more often than not
>>
>>1516072
100% true
>>
>>1513927
Underrated keks
>>
>>1527720
They never actually won, though. They just offered a small force to the side that happened to win, and then claim it was all them. Waterloo is the greatest example of this.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 412x519px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 412x519px
>>1513807
>History's most ebil villain
>>
>>1513807
The french surrendered to FDR?
>>
>>1527838
because its not like they liberated spain, invaded france via spain, and fought napoleon to a standstill, its not like the british were the larger force and prime mover for marlboroughs campaigns.

offering a small force? normaly a fairly substantial one and funds for more, and the side that happened to win generally happened to win because of the british
>>
>>1514312
Sure I'm guessing your "czech" ancestors emigrated from Bohemia (rightful german clay)

This is how stupid you sound
>>
File: Anglos not present.png (220KB, 318x615px) Image search: [Google]
Anglos not present.png
220KB, 318x615px
>>1527855
>because its not like they liberated spain
Did a shit job tbqh. Wellington took horrible losses in that campaign, even when vastly outnumbering the French.

>fought Napoleon to a standstill
Pic related

>the side that happened to win generally happened to win because of the british
Lol is this a joke? Prussia and Russia fielded more troops, took much heavier losses, and did more than the anglos ever could in the Napoleonic Wars. Prussia and Russia ran the risks, and were the only states to manage to defeat Napoleon. Anglos stayed on their island while everyone else did the dirty work, then claimed they won the entire war.
>>
File: 4d6.gif (3KB, 452x523px) Image search: [Google]
4d6.gif
3KB, 452x523px
>>1513807
Obviously not, but the entire west surrendered to them, not just france
>>
>>1527616
British empire is meh, it just spray capitalisme to the world, then you remark that China choose it without being a colonie like india, so it's just a meh empire. Even the collapse was meh.
With German and French you got the Romantisme, people remember the Nappy Empire, the Roman Empire; the chinese Empire, the german empire.
The british empire is meh, it doesn't feel cool or evil, it just capitaliste turbo austim, it haven't something like the nazi or the revolutionarie ideal or the FUCKING ROMAN prestige, just capitalisme.
It's a meh empire.
>>
>>1528243
>the german empire

Who the fuck remembers the German Empire?

Come on mate I can understand not liking the UK's empire, but nobody even knows about Germany pre-nazi
>>
>>1513933
>30.000
>.
>not 30,000
You retards deserved to lose
>>
>>1528279
>nobody even knows about Germany pre-nazi
Are you serious? They are considered the starters and main antagonist of WWI by many.
maybe with >american education but come on
>>
File: 0f42a2ded6e0ff727ffc8000f6f3b7eb.gif (1000KB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
0f42a2ded6e0ff727ffc8000f6f3b7eb.gif
1000KB, 390x293px
>>1526699
>France's involvement in WW1 or 2?

literal fiction
>>
>>1527916
and the napoleonic wars were the only war britain fought in europe?

war of the spanish succession comes to mind, the british fielded a large army and won the war, gaining their primary objective as well as several territorial bonuses (gibraltar for one)

also the seven years war
>>
>>1513933

>TheCajunCuttthroat
>French Military History

total Francoboo
>>
>>1527658
I've seen this image before and never noticed
>United States
What is this?
>>
>>1529401
After we sold our last ocean going war ship to France they payed pirates to attack our shipping because we gave the UK a better trade deal then them
>>
>>1529401
After we sold our last ocean going war ship to France they payed pirates to attack our shipping because we gave the UK a better trade deal than them
>>
>>1527658
Monarchists BTFO
>>
>>1529958
Delet
>>
>>1514313
This.
French history of resistance and collaboration is biased by nationalist revisionism.
I'm French btw.
>>
How come a board based on history has never heard of regrouping? Cowardice is running away then calling for peace with Hitler. Regrouping back at base, getting fresh supplies and soldiers then heading back over to kick the fuck out of the Krauts is smart and brave.

>/his/ would just send 5000 soldiers running at the enemy no supplies other what they can carry and no chance of coming back unless victorious or dead

How very Soviet (and stupid) of you
>>
>>1513757
if you take a real close (like side of the barn) look at frenches history ull realise they've been at war for 1600 years and most of their godtier genetics have subsequently died out in battle, especially as time goes on not being roman centric based in history, no room for rapedom of cuckoldary. their genetics are weak. demagio line was a last stand. thus their tactics were just via deguile etc in wwii++.

im still surprised the abomb wasnt dropped on berlin minus the fact russia is a thing.
>>
Who will Michael Caine be playing?
>>
File: beadybong.png (55KB, 1292x646px) Image search: [Google]
beadybong.png
55KB, 1292x646px
>>1526272
>I hate the English attitude in general. Brits are mostly irrelevant and I would not embarrass myself with feelings towards them
Always with the 'English' kek
>>
File: don't fuck with the eternals.jpg (48KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
don't fuck with the eternals.jpg
48KB, 580x386px
>Be France
>Be at war with the English/British for nearly a thousand-years
>Repeatedly denigrate them as backwards islanders with an inferior culture
>Be surprised when they abandon you to your fate in an act of self-preservation
>Moan about it for decades
>>
>>1528642
But France had defeated almost all of Europe single-handedly while in a revolution. All of its allies were only allies because France managed to conquer them. Meanwhile, the anglos have NEVER won a war against an actual power without the help of a coalition.
>>
>>1531672
>This jealousy
>>
>>1531672
Britain amassed the biggest Empire in history and industrialised the world with the profits.
There is no more pride to be had from winning a battle without allies, old bean.
>>
>>1531655
>be england
>retreat to your island
>claim you won the war single-handedly
>repeat
>>
>>1531672
beat the dutch, beat the spanish.

and where does this denigration of effective diplomacy come from? are you annoyed that the british werent just more successful than france but smarter as well?
>>
>>1531700
>empire
Once again, killing spear-wielding tribes with advanced rifles, machine guns, artillery, etc. takes no effort whatsoever.

Subduing and conquering equally and even more advanced countries multiple times actually takes effort.
>>
>>1531710
>be England
>realise sixty-million Frenchmen have complexes because, despite their strenuous efforts, they could never best you
>remember that one time you used them as a buttress against Nazi Germany as well
>oh shit better get back to my terraced house for a warm beer with my fat, toothless wife
>>
>>1531736
>despite their strenuous efforts, they could never best you
See:

>>1527658
>>
>>1531724
1804 - 1814

wow great empire mate
>>
File: Europe_under_Nazi_domination.png (187KB, 1088x998px) Image search: [Google]
Europe_under_Nazi_domination.png
187KB, 1088x998px
>>1531724
This.

Us mainlanders had the greatest Empires.
>>
>>1531713
>beat the dutch
Easy.

>beat the spanish.
Lol a storm destroyed their fleet. Literally Japanese revisionist tier if you cite this as an English victory. Even then, that was a coalition with the Dutch.
>>
>>1531745
>implying shedding the blood of your people for no reason is better than accruing wealth for your nation
>implying Britain wasn't the most powerful and technoligically-advanced nation in the world for centuries
>implying the French and Germans didn't colonise Africa, India and Asia
>implying the French didn't desperately try to retain their colonies
>implying they didn't fail miserably
J'adore
>>
>>1531769
ETERNAL ANGLO

ETERNAL ANGLO

ETERNAL ANGLO

LALALALALALALALALA
>>
>>1531769
Britain was never "the most technologically advanced nation", and it was the most powerful for one century (singular).
>>
>>1531767
beat them repeatedly in that war, raided the shit out of their overseas possesions and while it was a storm that wrecked the remains of the spanish fleet it was a spanish fleet that was sailing home in defeat that was wrecked,

and the dutch role in defeating the armada was extremely limited (as in they never fired a shot)

>>1531777
between 1750 and at least 1850 britain was the most technologically advanced nation as well
>>
>>1531789
t. Eternal Anglo
>>
>>1531800
t. Eternal Frog
>>
>>1531816
I'm actually fucking German.
>>
File: you played yourself.gif (2MB, 448x432px) Image search: [Google]
you played yourself.gif
2MB, 448x432px
>>1531789
>between 1750 and at least 1850 britain was the most technologically advanced nation as well
And?

France was home to the most influential philosophies from the 1600's to 1900's. Monarchy almost ceased to exist entirely as a result of French thought. Republics are scattered across the earth as a result of French thought. Religion no longer takes root in governments as a result of French thought. Serfdom and slavery were abolished across the planet as a result of French thought. Germany itself would not have been able to unite if not for the ideas of the French.

And I haven't even mentioned how nearly every military term comes from the French language.

>>1531769
>admitting that France and Germany outdid the anglos in their own game while also defeating other advanced European powers in Europe
Can't make this shit up
>>
>>1531819
even worse, you dont even have that much of a historic rivalry with the english to justify your bitterness.

you were only briefly powerful enough to threaten britain, and even then never enough to actually threaten the homeland
>>
>>1531825
>Monarchy almost ceased to exist entirely as a result of French thought

and yet within a few years the french had a emperor and spent the next century in chaos never able to settle.

the british settled the issue in the 17th century, decided the king is subject to parliament in areas in which they conflict and continued to spread democracy throughout the world.

and republics predate the french revolution, the dutch for example and the swiss, giving the french credit for republics is like giving china credit for communism
>>
>>1531825
>rationalism
>most relevant

Empiricism smacked the fuck out of Rationalism, then it was the Dastardly Deutsch who put it all back together for their golden age.

Aside from Descartes and Roos/Monty, French philosophy is a meme.

Also

>taking the credit for republicanism

Come on mate, sure, you had Rousseau and Montesquieu, but you're forgetting Kant, Locke, Hobbes and Vico, and that's ignoring those from antiquity.

>Germany itself would not have been able to unite if not for the ideas of the French.

Wow thank you; you are truly our benefactors
>>
>>1531837
I hope you realize French thinkers popularized the idea of republic long before the French Revolution.
>>
>>1531837
Emperor!=monarch
>>
>>1531848
>monarch
monarch
ˈmɒnək/Submit
noun
a sovereign head of state, especially a king, queen, or emperor.
"the reigning monarch"
synonyms: sovereign, ruler, Crown, crowned head, potentate; More
>>
D-DAY WAS PRIMARILY A FRANCO-AMERICAN AFFAIR
>>
>>1531855
>>
>>1531862
literally fucking who?

Anyway, it was the fucking french and americans who did D-DAY, noy you anglo cowards
>>
>>1531844
>rationalism and empiricism
>completely contradictory
Pick one.

I was referring to the fact that an overwhelming amount of Enlightenment thinkers were French, and that those French thinkers were the most influential of the Enlightenment.
>>
>>1524931
>the british fought on and hundreds of thousands of them died, and in the end france was freed again

are these two things really related though?
>>
>>1526791
>imprisonment rather than retreat

kek the brits did this often, apparently getting sent to an oriental deathcamp is better
>>
>>1513780

UHM IT WAS A PEBBLE BEACH NOT SAND FUCKING REVISIONIST ANGLO LIES
>>
>>1531789
>between 1750 and at least 1850 britain was the most technologically advanced nation as well
No it wasn't, what do you even mean by that?

The majority of scientific advancements and inventions in that time happened in France.
>>
>>1531880
>rationalism and empiricism
>completely contradictory
>then it was the Dastardly Deutsch who put it all back together for their golden age.
>>
>>1531837
The French revolution was about the power of the people and the parlement, it's the king betreyal who cause the begining of the french anti-monarchism, Nappy was see as the protector of the revolution by the French. He was the thing that manking rarely got, a benevolent tyrant.
>>
>>1531900
He wasn't a tyrant, he was elected into his position by universal suffrage.

He was more legitimate than any British leader ever.
>>
>>1531904
legitimacy is a massive meme
>>
>>1531825
What British don't undestand with their empire is their empire is not that Great, it haven't the Ultra-national militarism of the German with people like Hitler, it haven't the French Revolutionary though and Napoleon, it haven't the Chinese exotisme, it havn't the Roman decadence or the punic Wars, it haven't the comunist try of the URSS. It have battle against fucking backward savages, it don't feel great because it just fill empty space, no great romantique wars like Napoleon, no Great error like WW2 german, it just Capitalism+"We don't let Europe unite".
That not great, it like the French colonial Empire, it fill space but we won't remember it as great, it just fill between Napoleon and Hilter.
>>
>>1531917
Stop making nonsensical posts.
>>
>>1531921
stop making gay posts

>>1531919
this is my favourite copy pasta
>>
>>1531927
I just writte it, you can copy it in every Anglo wanking thread to remember them that history doesn't begin in 1815
>>
>>1531769
>desperately try to retain their colony
You might like how the French gave so much fucks about Quebec they never reinforced it with men, let alone goods during the 2 years and 3 attempted English invasions ?

The local (small) French Force in Quebec was enough, behind wooden walls, to BTFO the Brits twice in a row before finally loosing to yet another larger army. This is not many fucks if you want my honest opinion.
>>
>>1531848
yes it does, any emperor is a monarch, in the same way that a sultan or king a tsar or czar is a monarch a kaiser is a monarch, indeed a ruling prince could be termed a monarch

>>1531845
in france perhaps, but the swiss and the dutch went ahead and had republics before the idea gained any foothold in france, hell the british had a republic briefly beofre the french even considered the idea.

>>1531882
yes, without britain the only way the germans would have left france was to be replaced by the russians
>>
>>1531893
britain at that time was the driving force of the industrial revolution
>>
>>1513758
where were they then?
>>
>>1532588
The driving force of the industrial revolution was scientific and technological progress, and that came primarily from France.

England was just more liberal, meaning businessmen could more easily exploit that technology and make more money off it more quickly.
>>
>>1513757
normans are black
>>
>>1532588
Great Britain provided the legal and cultural foundations that enabled entrepreneurs to pioneer the industrial revolution.[154] Key factors fostering this environment were: (1) The period of peace and stability which followed the unification of England and Scotland; (2) no trade barriers between England and Scotland; (3) the rule of law (respecting the sanctity of contracts); (4) a straightforward legal system which allowed the formation of joint-stock companies (corporations); and (5) a free market (capitalism).[20]
Geographical and natural resource advantages of Great Britain were the fact that it had extensive coast lines and many navigable rivers in an age where water was the easiest means of transportation and having the highest quality coal in Europe.[20]
There were two main values that really drove the Industrial Revolution in Britain. These values were self-interest and an entrepreneurial spirit. Because of these interests, many industrial advances were made that resulted in a huge increase in personal wealth. These advancements also greatly benefitted the British society as a whole. Countries around the world started to recognise the changes and advancements in Britain and use them as an example to begin their own Industrial Revolutions.[155]
Another theory is that Britain was able to succeed in the Industrial Revolution due to the availability of key resources it possessed. It had a dense population for its small geographical size. Enclosure of common land and the related agricultural revolution made a supply of this labour readily available. There was also a local coincidence of natural resources in the North of England, the English Midlands, South Wales and the Scottish Lowlands. Local supplies of coal, iron, lead, copper, tin, limestone and water power, resulted in excellent conditions for the development and expansion of industry.

1/2
>>
>>1534794
Also, the damp, mild weather conditions of the North West of England provided ideal conditions for the spinning of cotton, providing a natural starting point for the birth of the textiles industry.
The stable political situation in Britain from around 1688, and British society's greater receptiveness to change (compared with other European countries) can also be said to be factors favouring the Industrial Revolution. Peasant resistance to industrialisation was largely eliminated by the Enclosure movement, and the landed upper classes developed commercial interests that made them pioneers in removing obstacles to the growth of capitalism.[159] (This point is also made in Hilaire Belloc's The Servile State.)
Britain's population grew 280% 1550–1820, while the rest of Western Europe grew 50–80%. Seventy percent of European urbanisation happened in Britain 1750–1800. By 1800, only the Netherlands was more urbanised than Britain. This was only possible because coal, coke, imported cotton, brick and slate had replaced wood, charcoal, flax, peat and thatch. The latter compete with land grown to feed people while mined materials do not. Yet more land would be freed when chemical fertilisers replaced manure and horse's work was mechanised. A workhorse needs 3 to 5 acres (1.21 to 2.02 ha) for fodder while even early steam engines produced four times more mechanical energy.
In 1700, 5/6 of coal mined worldwide was in Britain, while the Netherlands had none; so despite having Europe's best transport, most urbanised, well paid, literate people and lowest taxes, it failed to industrialise. In the 18th century, it was the only European country whose cities and population shrank. Without coal, Britain would have run out of suitable river sites for mills by the 1830s.[160]

2/2
>>
File: chortle.jpg (36KB, 306x475px) Image search: [Google]
chortle.jpg
36KB, 306x475px
>>1534759
>scientific and technological progress, and that came primarily from France
No, Mathieu. Just no.
>>
>>1535097

>between 1750 and 1850 in France

1769: invention of the automobile by Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot
1775: invention of bleach by Claude Louis Berthollet
1783: invention of the steamboat by Claude de Jouffroy
1783: invention of the parachute by Louis-Sébastien Lenormand
1783: invention of the aircraft by the Montgolfier brothers
1789: foundation of modern chemistry by Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier
1794: invention of the optical telegraph by Claude Chappe
1795: invention of the pencil by Nicolas-Jacques Conté
1801: invention of the punchcard loom by Joseph Marie Jacquard
1805: invention of the self-igniting match by Jean Chancel
1807: invention of the internal combustion engine by the Niépce brothers
1809: discovery of evolution by Jean-Baptiste Lamarck
1809: invention of food canning by Nicolas Appert
1816: invention of the stethoscope by René Laennec
1824: foundation of thermodynamics by Sadi Carnot
1826: invention of endoscopy by Antonin Jean Desormeaux
1826: invention of photography by Nicéphore Niépce
1827: foundation of electrodynamics by André-Marie Ampère
1829: invention of the sewing machine by Barthélemy Thimonnier
1832: foundation of Galois theory and group theory by Evariste Galois
1839: invention of the solar cell by Edmond Becquerel
1849: invention of reinforced concrete by François Coignet
1850: invention of the airship by Henri Giffard

>meanwhile in England

Well, I guess you made that variation on Denis Papin's steam engine that ran slightly better.
>>
>>1535247
>invention of the airship
>driving force of the industrial revolution

I know we're having a nice bit of banter here, but let's at least banter correctly
>>
File: wut.png (10KB, 284x178px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
10KB, 284x178px
>>1535247
>The french claiming credit for evolution
>If you use something more it will become bigger and better - Lamark.

Please at lest try.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_innovations_and_discoveries#18th_century
>>
>>1535247
>punchcard loom

tbf this is the shit
>>
>>1535250
>steam engine
>automobile
>steamboat
>modern chemistry
>internal combustion engine
>food canning
>thermodynamics
>photography
>electrodynamics
>sewing machine
>reinforced concrete

Nigel pls.

>>1535269
Lamarck discovered evolution m8.

>check link
>baseball
>modern sociology
Amazing.
>>
>>1535283
>Ignore all the important shit and skip straight to stuff that you can sardonically reply with

"Wow amazing xD"

I never denied that the French have contributed to the world, I just disagreed with something saw.

I feel like the reason why the French are so insecure about things like this is because they know their language is no longer relevant.
>>
>>1535328
Or maybe it's because Anglos use their current cultural hegemony to essentially erase France from history.
>>
>>1535376
I like the French myself, and I have a great deal of admiration for the nation and the people. But your assertion about 'erasing France from history' is certainly ironic. The French's biggest flaw - and they have a fair few - is their inability to comprehend the notion that there are non-French people who have actually invented, discovered and achieved things. This is particularly true when it comes to the British (more specifically the English), whose successes and achievements don't quite fit with the Frenchman's notion that they are inbred, knuckle-dragging, borderline-retarded islanders who have contributed nothing to humanity. And so it seems best to simply deny that there were any successes or inventions or discoveries, and to instead rewrite history so that it better reflects the sentiment of Gallic superiority that pervades French culture.
I know very few Brits who genuinely hate the French, notwithstanding the faux-Francophobia that accompanies meetings between the rugby or football teams of England and France. But the reverse isn't true. There is many an Anglophile to be found across the Channel, and a love of our literature, history, music, etc is more commonplace than you might think. But there are an equal number of seemingly reasonable men and women who see hating the British as one of the main pillars of French pride. It is not enough for the French to be proud of their own achievements, they must either claim or deny those of the rest of the world too.
>>
>>1535429
That the same aout every user of 4chan, ever see a british/american/german/chinese thread, it /int/ tier wank.
>>
>>1535429
This is completely wrong and the apex of irony.

French people constantly aggrandise the achievements of everything foreign, including England, while sweeping French ones under the rug. The complete opposite of most Brits who constantly brag about having "invented the modern world" and whatnot.

Take someone like Nicéphore Nièpce, just as one of many examples. The guy invented both photography and the internal combustion engine. Had he been born a Brit or an American, every schoolchild would know his name and he would be celebrated ad nauseam. Unfortunately for him though, he was born a Frenchman, and therefore even in France almost nobody has ever even heard of him. This extends to all other fields as well, for instance how the 200 year anniversary of the battle of Austerlitz was completely ignored in France, yet France participated in Britain's expansive celebrations of the 200 year anniversary of Trafalgar.

English people don't usually hate France actually, that's mostly Americans. But they're still extremely prone to bragging about British achievements while dismissing all others, which isn't helped by French pathological self-hatred.
>>
>>1532578
>in france perhaps
Lol, there's a reason why Montesquieu, Voltaire, and Rosseau are taught in AMERICAN history classes.

>dutch republic
Willian was a prince

>british republic
Lasted lessthan twenty years.
>>
>>1535526
The French certainly seem to love the Americans. As they're an Anglo nation, I've always wondered whether it's a way for the French to tacitly accept the British and their customs via a more acceptable 'third party'...
Though I've only been to France a couple of times, and not for 8/9 years, the French have always struck me as amongst the most fervently patriotic people in Europe.

The British get shit from everyone, including their own allies. Within Britain the English and Welsh and Scots turn on each other regularly. Is it any surprise that they can often be heard repeating the long list of things they've contributed to humanity? Bear in mind also that it's a common trait in British humour to simply insult somebody as grossly as possible and see what you can get away with (not any real hatred). As for the Trafalgar celebrations... such things are few and far between. British schoolchildren don't even learn about the majority of our history, beyond a couple of monarchs and WWII. The Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, Normans, Celts, etc... you can forget them. And as for Newton or Faraday or the like... who the hell were they? Why should we care that they were British? We all bleed red, bigot #refugeeswelcome

>in short, the Brits need to learn more about history in general and the French need to find a middle-ground, as they're either anti-patriotic libfucks or uber-nationalist mongs with Gallic tunnel vision
>>
Most brave to most cowardly ally:
-USSR
-China
-USA
-France
-Britain

We can all agree on this right?
>>
>>1535528
this.

Did you also know the French popularised philosophy?

Descartes is taught in AMERICAN classes.
>>
>>1535599
Only if you're a commie.
>American more trustful than french....
>>
>>1535599
>most cowardly ally

There's a difference between cowardly and smart.
>>
>>1535599
More like
USSR
FR
UK
USA
>>
>>1535621
more like
FR
UK
USA
USSR
>>
>>1535606
>>1535621
>>1535626
t. Frogcucks
>>
>>1535616
If Britain was smart they wouldn't have allied with Poland to begin with. The entire war was unnecessary, and it would not have been much worse if the Nazis took East Eurasia than if the Soviets did.

>>1535621
The United Kingdom literally delayed opening a second front on Europe from Fall 1942 to Spring 1944. That was a large part of why the Russians did not give up Eastern Europe and why the Cold War happened.
>>
>>1535653
Yeah, those damned Western allies didn't invade Europe until June of 1944. Everyone knows that Italy isn't Europe.
>>
>>1535699
The problem was the Nazis. If Italy was still at war with the rest of the world nobody would care.
>>
>>1535707
Yeah, I'm sure Germany didn't miss the million soldiers that were captured or the hundred thousand that were killed. I'm absolutely certain that was not a problem at all.
>>
>>1535730
Not nearly as big of a problem as a Normandy invasion in Fall of 1942 or Spring 1943 would have been. North Africa was mostly a waste of time done because Churchill was terrified of amphibious assaults. Brits have no right to call any other country cowards for WWII
>>
>>1535739
except that the most pressing reasons to delay the invaison were to do the preparation work, and to give the americans time to gain combat experience in secondary theatres before commiting them to a major one, given the american performance in north aftica this cannot be regarded as anything but a wise precaution.

better to have invaded later but with success far more likely than gambled and lost
>>
>>1514251
Wow what a butthurt faggot
>>
>>1513758
You're right, if I remember my country's WWII history well, we evacuated our troops with UFOs in Nice, not boats at Dunkirk.
>>
I wish this autistic baguette would get hit by a truck already
>>
>>1528302
30 soldiers ? That's not that many, what a heroic feat.
>>
File: pffft_400x400.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
pffft_400x400.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>1532578
>replaced by the russians
>>
>>1513967
>0/10
Troll
Thread posts: 282
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.