[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do you study history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1457311823709.jpg (64KB, 600x839px) Image search: [Google]
1457311823709.jpg
64KB, 600x839px
why do you study history?
>>
To be pseudosmart
>>
For the memes.
>>
>>1512900
>>
>>1512889
Because I love it. So many great stories, wars, conquests, jokes, etc.

And politics too, except people don't get angry about it.
>>
To make tenuous comparisons between past and present events.
>>
>>1512889
Because I used to only care about science, and I realized how narrow my worldview was.
>>
>>1512889
Because it's interesting

that's all there is to it
some people think it's interesting and some don't
>>
To see if there's anything interesting the locusts have overlooked.
>>
>>1512889
Its my hobbie

Also it makes me feel good to know that Im actively trying to pursue something
>>
File: Sisi.jpg (204KB, 561x737px) Image search: [Google]
Sisi.jpg
204KB, 561x737px
>>1512889
Because I find it interesting.
>>
>>1512889
So I can draw historically accurate animu.
>>
>>1512889
to get a well payed job
>>
File: CjynH1lUkAAZ_Ku.jpg large.jpg (51KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
CjynH1lUkAAZ_Ku.jpg large.jpg
51KB, 480x480px
It's entertainment for me.
>>
“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”

t. Fat drunk faggot
>>
Great stories, great examples to be used for modern application, especially legal systems and economics.
>>
>>1512889
To create more elaborate sexual and romantic fantasies for myself and for ERP partners.
>>
i like knowing about the gays of history
>>
File: 1449641557500s.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1449641557500s.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>1512981
>>1512962

why is it interesting
>>
>>1513243
It's complex and difficult to get a grasp of.

Plus normies hate it, despite it being important.
>>
It's interesting.
>>
I don't, I'm just here to argue about philosophy
>>
>>1513328
>i am a terrible shitposter
>>
>>1513335

I do try to provide well-constructed arguments, at the very least.
>>
File: 1466456287769.png (603KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1466456287769.png
603KB, 720x540px
>>1513348
It's a pseudo-intellectual argument, but the one I truly believe. You cannot understand a nation without understanding its history. A nation without a history is a nation without a future.

One of the reasons why Europe in general is in such shitty straits right now is because they're slashing and burning their own history. For example, do you know how many Westerners believe 9/11 is such an important date? Outside of what happened in 2001? A handful, but almost everyone in the Middle East knows why that date is so important. And that is why the future belongs to Islam, because Islam knows and respects its past.
>>
to understand why things are
the Present is the sum of past events
there is no Fate or Destiny
only a chain of decisions
understanding the Past allows us to better chart the future
also, to fight against Tyranny
Historical Revisionism is a means for Tyranny
>>
>>1513688
>also, to fight against Tyranny
History teaches us tyranny can take on many forms as well. The historically illeterate think of a Hitler-esque dicator or a Stalinist totalitarian. Yet everyone in the Enlightenment, from the American Founding Fathers (who wrote extensively about LIMITING democracy in the Federalist Papers) to Tocqueville (who coined the term "tyranny of the majority") know that unlimited democracy has more tyrannical potential than any other regime. There'a reason why Plato hated democracy more than any other form of government save for downright tyranny.

This illiterate view of history is also what leads to "Hitler = Napoleon", when a Platonic judging of Napoleon would make his regime either meritocratic (making it the best regime possible) or timocratic (making it the second best regime possible).
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.