[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What IS systemic oppression?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 10

File: whoosh.png (195KB, 785x633px) Image search: [Google]
whoosh.png
195KB, 785x633px
Dear humanity majors,

Can someone actually explain to me what's systematic racism/sexism/oppression meant to mean?

I've seen many protesters and scholars mention it as their casus belli against society, yet no one actually wants to explain what they mean by that. It's not supposed to be like normal racism, and supposedly even Obama has some for being black.

Are systems of oppression actually accepted in academia? How are they seen/measured? Or is modern progressivism starting to act more like a secular religion?

I'm legit curious, hope this isn't seen as bait.
>>
What is ideology?
What is newspeak?
>>
>>1510291
Systemic racism is when your kid dresses up as an Indian for Halloween and when a sports team logo is a funny native man. You can't imagine the literal holocaust this causes.
>>
>>1510313
These are the real terrorists!
>>
>>1510291
Systemic discrimination let's call it occurs when a state's institutions have an ingrained bias toward favouring a group or disadvantaging another

An example of systemic sexism which feminists and women may argue is corporate leadership is dominated by males who choose to perpetuate this dominance by mostly hiring males. Many women feel the system is bias against them hence systemic sexism.

Systemic racism in Canada where I'm from can go back to the Indian Act which is kind of part of our constitution, the Indian Act defines Indians aka first nations people, and outlines how the government engages with them and the government's duty toward these people.
It's a catch 22 because the
>>
>>1510347
Small pox blanket must've kicked in
>>
>>1510347
>It's a catch 22 because the
Indian Act ensures the government guarantees first nations land and provides benefits but it also takes away a lot of self governance on reserves which is why a lot of crimes go investigated by the RCMP (federal police) because the police force may be racist or bias toward first nations

Also many of the benefits for first nations only apply to them when they're on reserves while all good jobs and better standards of living are off the reserves

I hope these examples help, I'm not a proponent for either point of view
>>
>>1510361
>go investigated by the RCMP
Go uninvestigated

K I'm done
>>
>>1510313
That's not systemic racism that's just racism
Nothing in the political institutions disadvantage them, it's just people being ignorant imo
The Cleveland Indians organization would be more tasteful with a different logo imo
>>
>>1510383
The only good thing about the Cleveland Indians is that logo.

>Halloween costumes are racist

lel
>>
>>1510398
Do you even watch based ball? Windians are serious contenders for ALC
I'm guessing ALCS will be Jays-Windians
>>
>>1510291
It's a feedback loop from the history of slavery/misogyny whatever. Women are paid less because they made less, and thus are offered less. Blacks are searched for drugs more often because it's a statistically more likely bust for the cop. The employer and cop aren't necessarily being racist or sexist. It's just part of the institution.
>>
>>1510403
This is a good example expect for the women being paid less because this isn't true
There is an earnings gap not a pay gap. Women earn less than men because it's more likely women choose lower paying careers, take more time off for maternity leave (which is acceptable imo) and generally work fewer hours than men
So if you look at total earnings yes women make less but that isn't systemic that's just women working lower paying jobs and less hours than men mostly by choice
>>
File: image.png (140KB, 500x649px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
140KB, 500x649px
Basically whenever white people do something that black people can't do because they suck at it
>>
>>1510401
Yeah I'm a >Resd fan and all memes aside the Indians are pretty good right now, but I see them choking it all away in the clutch like they always do.
>>
>>1510418
There's an argument to be made that black people commit more crime due to system racism and a society which has ghettoised blacks and perpetuated gang culture
Also cops killing people when they don't post an imminent threat to serious bodily harm or dear is fucked up and constitutes extra judicial killings
>>
File: image.png (166KB, 600x845px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
166KB, 600x845px
>>1510432
The problem lies in the fact that if you suggest blacks must improve their culture you are immediately just called a racist and nothing productive will happen in the conversation. It also doesn't help that Jewish owners of the music companies promote shitty gangsta music to make them think what they do is cool
>>
>>1510427
Jays take the east
They have a 6 man rotation now with the best starting pitchers in the ALC and ALE, and their offense is full strength again. Orioles need to win the series at the end of the month and rays need to win or split the series in Toronto
red Sox are done
>>
>>1510432
Cops are jumpy as fuck around black people and think any sudden movement is them reaching for a gun
But can you blame them for thinking that?
>>
>>1510432
lol yes because it's (((society))) that perpetuates gang culture and not the gangsters themselves! D-Bo and Ray Ray would have been astrophysicists but society forced them to join gangs! The gangsters didn't do nothing and are the real victims here!
>>
>>1510436
>you suggest blacks must improve their culture you are immediately
I didn't say this
I was implying society at large perpetuated their shit culture to begin with. It's a people who have been disenfranchised until even the 90s
It will take a couple generations to change
>>
>>1510443
When there are no opportunities for them and gangs provide a sense of community, protection and income for them then yes it's a societal problem not a black problem
>>
>>1510441
>But can you blame them for thinking that?
Except for all the recent footage which shows cops blatantly executing people
Black or white, US cops kill too many civilians.
>>
>>1510449
Listen sport, I've worked in hood schools and no one is forcing those kids to skip class, smoke blunts and claim a set. And the worst part is, there actually are kids there who want to succeed academically but they get bullied ruthlessly by the thugs. It's classic "crabs in a bucket" syndrome and blaming ((((society)))) is a cop out that distracts from the real problem that in the cultural context of the hood being a career criminal is seen as more "legit" than doing well in school.
>>
>>1510475
>I've worked in hood schools
I've watched The Wire
ftfy
>>
>>1510475
>the real problem that in the cultural context of the hood being a career criminal is seen as more "legit" than doing well in school
Then there needs to be a cultural paradigm shift which requires a societal effort. If society wants cohesion and lower crime rates then the systemic marginalization of a group needs to change
>>
>>1510475
>Listen sport
Stopped reading
>>
>>1510291
Biopolitics
>>
>>1510481
Inglewood HS

Go Seminoles

>>1510486
Sure but that cultural change has to
come from within the culture itself. People from suburban/upperclass backgrounds have no understanding of hood dynamics (I certainly didn't until I was exposed to it firsthand) and any attempts to change it from the outside will come across as patronizing at best. Ghettos are like little nations in and of themselves and when outsiders try to come in a change things you get a situation that is similar to the US involvement in the Middle East.
>>
>>1510291
Systematic exclusion means a system that denies a group of people access to certain societal structures, e.g. political structures or institutions (and in the long run also what Marx called the means of production).

A system that denies women or black people (or any specific group) the right to vote is oppressive to them for example.

Nowadays systemic oppression doesn't exist in the first world on a state level, which of course doesn't stop some people to use it as a killer argument, or with circular reasoning: e.g. thinking that systemic oppression doesn't exist just shows your systemic oppression, etc.

>Are systems of oppression actually accepted in academia?
Yes.
>How are they seen/measured?
On a macro level by analyzing states, institutions, organizations, politics and the rules and laws that govern them.
>Or is modern progressivism starting to act more like a secular religion?
Yes. The Humanities claim political responsibility over scientific method. Which results in them analyzing only the micro level, e.g. asking if a person feels oppressed, rather than looking the societal structures.
>>
>>1510449
You're a fucking dumbass. There are no gangs in trailor parks and they have even LESS opportunities than blacks in MAJOR CITIES
>>
>>1510441
https://youtu.be/yfi3Ndh3n-g
>>
>>1510449
I come from an Eastern European country, we're pretty damn poor but our murder rate is well below 2. Meanwhile American ghettos have Africa tier homicide rates (20s to 50s)
>>
>>1510417
Fairly certain studies have controlled for that. eg women in the same career make less than men. Not because evil patriarchy but because it is what it is. When you're in an interview and they ask what you made at your last job, there's an obvious reason. But I'll concede that there is also an earning gap to some degree.
>>
>>1510291

If it's used honestly (and it usually isn't) it refers to unconscious forms of oppression or racism, instead of an open and conscious decision to discriminate.

To take an example, open racism would be something like "We don't hire niggers". Systemic racism is if generally black schools don't offer the kind of skills that are necessary to function in an modern economy, leading to their pupils becoming unemployable.
>>
>is modern progressivism starting to act more like a secular religion?
Why have I not thought of it like this before?
>>
>>1510449
society offers the chalice but it's the nigs that choose to drink from it, it's on them
>>
>>1510449
There are no opportunities because their society is populated by 80 IQ retards raised by single moms and high school dropouts
>>
Systemic racism is a word that was chosen to sound scary. It sounds like systematic racism, which has gone away, and duly so. The sjw professoriate wants to ride the association to Jim Crow and the black codes to build public support for radical leveling and redistribution.
>>
>>1510449
but there are plenty of scholarships and assistance programs for poor blacks
>>
>>1510291
It's the MAN keeping us folk DOWN.
>>
>>1511814
Yes but what's their end game? New segregation? Role reversal?
>>
File: resegregation.jpg (40KB, 583x364px) Image search: [Google]
resegregation.jpg
40KB, 583x364px
>>1511839
nobody knows
>>
>>1511839
Endgames are made up brah
>>
>>1511839
Ending western civilization
>>
>>1511839

BLM came up with a list of vague policy goals recently.

1. End the war on black people.

2. Reparations for past and continuing harms.

3. Divestment from the institutions that criminalize, cage and harm black people; and investment in the education, health and safety of black people.

4. Economic justice for all and a reconstruction of the economy to ensure our communities have collective ownership, not merely access.

5. Community control of the laws, institutions and policies that most impact us.

6. Independent black political power and black self-determination in all areas of society.

The language speaks for itself.
>>
>>1510347
>Many women feel the system is bias against them hence systemic sexism.

Do they feel the same way about soldiers, coal-miners, or oilsite diving repairmen?
>>
>>1510441
bro surely you can agree with me that US cops are violent as FUCK
lots of those incidents with the dead blacks simply should not have happened
not saying it's racism but surely you agree on this
>>1511851
but why
>>
>>1511839
You know realize that "end White Supremacy" is code phrase for "remove Whites from all positions of power and eradicate White culture".
>>
>>1511870
A white guy was unjustly killed by cops a year ago in Phoenix and there was fucking nothing, no media outrage, no BLM crying about cop brutality, no protests, NOTHING. Black Lives Matter = ONLY black lives matter according to these fucks. Fuck them.
>>
>>1511862
>Independent black political power and black self-determination in all areas of society.
Are they seriously advocating a state-within-a-state. What the fuck.
>>
>>151170if there is a difference it is miniscule and can be attributed to the way individuals negotiate their wages

If you could pay women less and get the same quality of work, why would anyone hire men?
>>
>>1511918

Was for

>>1511705
>>
>>1511862
So basically
>dindu nuffin
>gibsmedat
>dindu nuffin 2
>gibsmedat 2
>new segregation
>new segregation
>>
>>1511892

>A white guy

good to see how much you apparently care about this white man whom you don't even seem to know the name of or the related story.
>>
>>1510441
>>1510432
The percentage of black people killed by police compared to the total deaths at the hands of police are 40%. The percentage of police who are killed in the line of duty by black people compared the the total deaths in the line of duty are also 40%.

Police are no more disproportionately violent towards blacks than blacks are towards police.
>>
>>1511958
Keep reaching cuck, that'll get you places.
>>
>>1511975

>This is a thing that happened
>Source?
>KEK KEK KEK SUCK MY FUCKING DICK CUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>1511982
You didn't ask for a source, you acted like a patronizing, sniveling little cunt.

And his name was Daniel Shaver
>>
>>1511982
Not that anon, but have a video of a white guy who got executed by the cops to zero national mainstream media attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DngOL6LokN4
>>
>>1510383
That's not even racist anon. There is no express or implied inferiority of Indians in eithet action. Arguably in the mascot case it is an acknowlegement of some level of respect
>>
>>1511986

>Daniel Shaver
>A unarmed Texas husband and father of two was fatally shot in January 2016 by a police officer who has now been fired and charged with second-degree murder.

Oh well that's why you don't hear about it anon.

Because appropriate action was taken.
>>
>>1511999
George Zimmerman was charged too. That still made national headlines for months on end.

When's the last time a black person killing a non-black person received any kind of major media exposure?
>>
>>1512008

>George Zimmerman was charged too

Far after the fact and for other charges.

Although you could also argue the prosecution in that case just being inept as well.
>>
>>1512014
Keep pushing those goalposts.
>>
>>1512020

Not until you~
>>
>>1511862
See, the great thing is, that since the black population isn't increasing in size, and they're a completely monolithic voting bloc, there's no reason for anyone to actually give a shit about what they want.

I work in politics (Democrat) at a state level and no one who isn't black gives a FUCK about blacks. And why would we? They voting for us no matter what.
>>
>>1512020
Gotta love it when people get completely BTFO and instead of admitting they were wrong they keep moving the goalposts to oblivion.
>>
>>1511990
>executed
>on camera pulling out knives
I'm one if those people that shits on the anti-cop narrative in general and not just BLM in particular. As usual the vast majority of these cases are artificially created moral panic over people that had it coming.

There is a movement to undermine faith in American institutions and Copwatch and Black Lives Matter are just individual ripples in that wave of subversion.
>>
>>1512031
George Zimmerman did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>1511958
Thats the point anon. He treats the incident as an individual incident and doesnt assume it is part of some larger system of police violence. That didnt prevent him from determining that shooting was unjusticified. But he kept his conclusions limited to those which are supportable by the evidence he knows.
>>
>>1512047
You just replied to the wrong post I take it?
>>
>>1512014
The prosecution was inept in thst case because the charges never should have been brought. There was no evidence to support s conviction in that case.
>>
>>1512054
Seems to me that you're putting thoughts in his head
>>
>>1512024

The black population has been at 10-15% since the beginning of time.
>>
>>1510640
You have clearly never been to a trailer park if you think there are no gangs there.
>>
>>1511868
>Do they feel the same way about soldiers, coal-miners, or oilsite diving repairmen?

This.

Also
>secretaries
>anything to do with beauty
>flight attendants
>book keepers
>anything physically easy
>>
It's the thing people reference when they feel like there aren't enough blatantly racist people or laws to complain about, but they still want to have something to point to.

It's a very durable concept that will allow people to continue to claim oppression well into the time that they begin oppressing others.
>>
>>1512214
Biker "gangs" are not gangs they are just white trash losers who want to loudly annoy people and have friends. They don't go around shooting other bikers. In fact, they tend to show respect toward other bikers
>>
File: Milperra.jpg (41KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
Milperra.jpg
41KB, 650x488px
>>1512281
>They don't go around shooting other bikers
Come to Australia. They are literally everywhere and in control of essentially all of our drug trade.

It's pretty crazy. You actually see them everywhere.
>>
>>1510511
The only reason we have "hood schools" is because school funding is based on local property taxes. Therefore rich people try to move to the richest communities they can, causing "white flight" and gentrification. The (black) people who have less wealth overall due to being oppressed for generations, end up in a inner city ghetto. This is a pretty classic example of systemic racism.
>>
>>1512281
Sorry m8 but they are proper gangs. Talking about 1% now, they're often in meth business and they do dirty work for more serious organizations.
>>
File: 1469573677922.jpg (142KB, 459x579px) Image search: [Google]
1469573677922.jpg
142KB, 459x579px
>>1512313
>the only reason we have shitty schools is because rich people have better schools
>>
>>1512313
>causing white flight and gentrification

Those two things are the exact opposites you dumbass.
>>
>>1512313
So whitey should make his kids dumber because muh oppression?
>>
>>1512289
Why do Austrians always sleep in the middle of the road? I thought it was only an abo problem but abos can't afford sleeping bags
>>
>>1512313
>white people want their kids going to a good school
>RACISM !!!
>>
>>1512313
I hope for the sake of mankind that this post is a bait cooked up by some /pol/ack
>>
>>1512329
We end up with presidential candidates like Trump when there is such a disparity in education.

If we found a better way to allocate school funding and actually budgeted a reasonable amount to it, we could have better education for everyone without significantly lessening the experience of those already getting the best.

Once you reach an adequate level of education, the drive and aptitude of the student matters way more anyways.

Lastly, a flashy statistic: The US spends enough money incarcerating it's citizens each year to make public college free. Lots of those people are in for a few grams of weed.
>>
>>1512322
Uh yeah. They're opposite sides of the same phenomenon so they have the same cause.

Fuck off
>>
>>1512318
Yeah, at least when the government refuses to pay for school, that's true.
>>
>>1512313

This post is a great example of the oversimplification and warped thinking of Americans that excuses black people from educating and improving themselves as a community.
>>
>>1512370
College has been more economical than prison for a while now. Why do you think Yale went from generating men of letters to becoming adult daycare? The "education" system exists as an economic prison around the proles who are too stupid to create value yet not stupid enough to destroy it outright. That's why we have "gender studies" and "sociology" degrees.
>>
>>1512379
>whites move out
>RACISM !!!

>whites move back in
>RACISM !!!

Cry more cuck
>>
>>1512313
That's not true. I used to work in Athens-Clarke county schools. They have excellent facilities, better than many school systems I've seen. However, the area around is poor and black, and the students consistently do very poorly. It is their culture, where the thugs that commit crimes ridicule the kids trying to do well for being "too white". It's sad that black culture encourages terrible life choices
>>
>>1512333
You're missing the point. The way schools are funded leads to people who are all poor being clustered into inner cities and made to attend poorly funded schools.
This is systemic oppression because it's a part of the law that entrenches wealth among a small group of people and reduces the chance for social mobility. Not necessarily racism, but it's a good example of systemic oppression in general.

Personally, I don't blame these white people either. I think the government should actually shell out to educate it's people. I think that's one of the most important parts of a democratic government.
>>
>>1512313
I'm all for giving schools the funding they need but the deeper problem is the neighborhood culture outside of school. The issue is that a lot of these kids view "success" as only attainable through entertainment, sports or crime. So unless you're a rapper, a baller or a gangster you've sold out to the illuminati or whatever. Hell, some of these kids pushing dope have pretty good math skills but it would never even occur to them that they could be an accountant because that isn't cool.
>>
>>1512332
>Why do Austrians always sleep in the middle of the road? I thought it was only an abo problem but abos can't afford sleeping bags
You get drunk and the road is a good choice.

Actually have slept on the road before.

Have a friend whose step-dad is paraplegic as he slept on the road and got run over. It's really no joke, especially in aboriginal communities where you cannot really see the roads.

>austrians
god dammit man.
>>
>>1512398
They sleep on the roads because asphalt retains heat well into the night.
t. abo whisperer
>>
>>1512396
Fair. Maybe there are more important factors. I'll admit to grinding my personal axe about the education system.

But I still think it's an example of systemic oppression suitable to the purpose of explaining the concept to OP
>>
>>1512394

>The way schools are funded leads to people who are all poor being clustered into inner cities and made to attend poorly funded schools

Please reconsider this position. Do you really, seriously, think school funding is the cause of demographic distribution in the United States?
>>
>>1512388
This, niggers are never satisfied
>white flight in the 60's (I think)
>muhafuggin whitey get back here
>white hipsters move back in the new 10's
>muhafuggin whitey fuck off
>>
>>1512411
I think it is a case of the law causing poor people to go to worse schools, therefore reducing the possibility of social mobility. I consider this to be systemic oppression and a suitable example to give OP
>>
>>1512428
Its not targeting any one race though, there are more poor whites in the us than poor blacks
>>
>>1512457
Blacks are arrogant as fuck thinking everything happens because of them.
>>
>>1510441
>>1511971
Except in the constitution the 14th amendment prohibits the government from a person's life being taken from them without the due process of law. When a cop kills a nigger the constitution is being violated. When a nigger kills a cop, the law is being violated. However, when the state is absolved from the law (the constitution), or is punished less for breaking the law, you have a lawless state. When the rule of law is not held, it is a crisis for everyone who is not the state, but the crisis can be statistically shown to be a greater crisis for some races than others.

If one person were killed by a cop illegally and the cop got away with it, we ought to be concerned and try to do something about it. But since that is not the case, and blacks get more disproportionately killed, that's where the focus is gonna be.
>>
>>1512468
But there is nothing illegal about someone defending themselves just because they are a police officer.
>>
>>1512477
Killing an unarmed person isn't self defense.
>>
>>1512457
Dude, read the OP. He wasn't just talking about racism. I mistakenly used to term in my first post. I also acknowledged the fact that the rate of poverty among blacks is higher than among whites therefore this systemic oppression affects these communities more. You could call that systemic racism, although I guess I'm not totally sure if it should.
>>
>>1512481
And not every incident of a police officer killing someone is one where the person is unarmed. Try and think this through before you respond.
>>
>>1512482
If the past is a form of oppression, that is to say, blacks have a worse starting point and therefore a worse present (which seems absolutely logical to me), the only reparation possible is abundant opportunity and equality of it. The latter can be disputed; but the former is hard to argue in favor of.
>>
>>1512468
I love how it's getting to the point where Blacks are unthinking animals, like wolves. A natural force. They can't be reasoned with, or taught, they just act according to their base natures unthinkingly. If you come into contact with one you're supposed to just calmly step back and let them do as they please because you're trespassing in their environment.

Progressivism really has come full circle.
>>
>>1512490
And the ones that I was referring to in my post were not armed ones, clearly. Try and think this through before you respond.
>>
>>1512490
But the issue people have is the disproportionate rate that police kill non-threatening, unarmed black people compared with non-threatening, unarmed white people.
>>
>>1512490

Not him, but the point is that any single breach of a state's authority to use deadly force is of utmost concern to all members of that state. It doesn't matter if most police killings of blacks are justified, the small but growing number of extrajudicial killings recently are more than enough to cause great concern and demand scrutiny/consequences/reform.
>>
File: Top tier individuals.jpg (36KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
Top tier individuals.jpg
36KB, 704x396px
>>1512405
Communities don't have asphalt roads though.
t. Australian.
>>
>>1512505
Why would a worse starting point, several generations removed, ensure a worse present?

Asians had a worse starting point than whites but they do better on average now, same with Jewish descendents
>>
>>1512511
>But the issue people have is the disproportionate rate that police kill non-threatening, unarmed black people compared with non-threatening, unarmed white people.
See >>1511971

It is in no way disproportionate to the threat cops face from black people, who disproportionately kill cops.
>>
>>1512511
Citation needed
>>
>>1512509
This type of strawman will be effective if not pointed out.

All subjects of the state have the same status under the law - this includes black people, who are the people now in question. Notice that there are black police - the state - who also deserve to be punished when they violate the law.

All that I'm arguing is that the law must be strictly enforced on itself. This has nothing to do with what my supposed views are on black people.

And by the way, even if that was my view that you just described, I'd like to know how it would effect the validity of the point I was making.
>>
>>1512511
And that rate is exactly the same, see >>1511971, unless you have evidence otherwise.

>>1512516
Then it's not at all a problem with the Black community (except in as much as Black's commit crime at a rate disproportionate to their population size), it's one of quality of police officers. And yet police officers are human too, just like us, and can be afflicted by all forms of malaise (Stupidity and ill training being two of them). Frankly, given Soros' recent attempts to cover up the whole Clinton foundation business, I don't blame police officers for feeling jumpy around Blacks.

That having been said, can you provide evidence that there is indeed a growing number of extrajudicial killings and that it does not correlate with an increase in crime? Purely for the purposes of discussion, I'm not disagreeing with it being a cause for concern if it is the case.

>>1512510
No no, you're supposed to think this through. You're jumping the gun out of anger. You didn't mention any specific cases. Again, THINK.
>>
>>1512394

>Personally, I don't blame these white people either. I think the government should actually shell out to educate it's people. I think that's one of the most important parts of a democratic government.

The last thing the U.S government needs is more money for liberal propaganda camps (already one of the biggest spenders on education) when their only benefit to it is to go to another, bigger liberal propaganda camp.
>>
>>1512519
Nobody is arguing that both aren't problems that need to be solves. But the threat against civilians by cops is fought by civilians, and the threat against cops by civilians is fought by cops. Cooperation is certainly possible, and ideal.

>>1512518
After enough generations, it stops mattering. Let's remember that segregation, that is to say, economic oppression that both of us would agree existed for real, only ended incrementally in the 50s and 60s. Opportunity in America in general fell in the 70s and there hasn't been much change since. It's two generations removed, so several, while an accurate word, is somewhat misleading.

Now I wouldn't claim culture has no role in disparity of outcome - that is to say, why blacks do worse than white, and why whites do worse than asian-americans and jews. But culture shouldn't be understood as something static. With opportunity, culture definitely changes. That's why Irish-Americans don't beat their wives and drink as much as they used to: they had a period of opportunity. That's also not to say that class is the only factor. But it is one. I'd argue it is more than different any proven difference in different physiological aspects of the races, because I see more proof of that.
>>
While I understand that 'systematic oppression' can exist, it seems like any social interaction can be loosely defined as 'systematic oppression'. If this is the case, why is it only a few issues that get the moniker of being an issue of 'systematic oppression'?
>>
File: wsvn-charles-kinsey.jpg (108KB, 1360x765px) Image search: [Google]
wsvn-charles-kinsey.jpg
108KB, 1360x765px
>>1512045
>There is a movement to undermine faith in American institutions and Copwatch and Black Lives Matter are just individual ripples in that wave of subversion.

Who? Apple and Samsung?
>>
>>1512534
I've tried to respond to all of your arguments as best as I could, but since there isn't one in this post, the best I can do is forfeit. Count that as a victory if you like, but I'd rather keep going.
>>
>>1512565
Because labeling those few issues as "systematic oppression" is done so they can be whined about in order to advance the goals of an ideology.

Asians being thought of as nerdy autists isn't systematic oppression because ending that """"oppression""" doesn't benefit anyone with the power to matter. It doesn't advance the goals of any ideologies or groups who are important enough to matter. But keeping Blacks "on the plantation" so to speak is very important for a great number of powerful people, so these issues are "systematic oppression".
>>
>>1512567
Well, for one thing BLM itself is just a sockpuppet Soros uses to kick up dirt when he needs a good smoke screen.
>>
>>1512565
A few reasons:
Causation is hard to prove and poorly understood
People set their own agendas based on emotion and not reason
Effects are confused as causes

This is why "#OscarsSoWhite" takes off more than for instance more than black people being arrested disproportionately more on possession of drugs and misdemeanors in general than whites. When you watch the Oscars, you care about that effect of racism more than you care about causes. In general, effects are easier to cover up than causes are to change.
>>
>>1512574

>But keeping Blacks "on the plantation" so to speak is very important for a great number of powerful people, so these issues are "systematic oppression".

But it's the systemic oppression that keeps them 'on the plantation'. Wouldn't the goal of this ideology be to remove thesehurdles. What ideology are you talking about btw?
>>
>>1512581
>OscarsSoWhite

You think that was a real life example of racism?
>>
>>1512581
>black people being arrested disproportionately more on possession of drugs
Nit picking, but that doesn't happen, at least as far as convictions are concerned.
>>
>>1512576
I suppose that's why BLM interrupts his favorites as they speak, and why Bill Clinton, a Soros boy through and through, has clashed repeatedly with Black Lives Matter.

Purporting a conspiracy between grassroots organizations you disagree with and partisans billionaires on a similar side only makes you look foolish unless you have evidence.
>>
>>1512585
The point isn't to stop any oppression. The point has never BEEN the ending of oppression. If there is any systematic oppression, it's being done by the people complaining about it (Or, rather the people who act on the complaints). The goal is to keep Blacks divided and voting Democrat.

If you make a living off of selling fish, you don't want your customers learning how to fish. So you tell your customers they're starving because they can't buy steak, but you're doing them a favor by selling them just enough fish to survive.
>>
>>1512595
But that's the beauty of it. BLM is independent of Soros and friends until they become useful. They're goons who enforce the ideology autonomously. They'll fling shit without needing to be told to. Sure, sometimes it gets on the wrong suits, but then you just need to pay a few activist leaders and you've got plenty of shit going at the right suits.

I really do miss the days when people would at least google a claim before making a remark on it. It's not like this is some deep dark secret or something.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/14/george-soros-funds-ferguson-protests-hopes-to-spur/
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/major-donors-consider-funding-black-lives-matter-215814
http://blackcommunitynews.com/the-real-power-and-purpose-behind-black-lives-matter-movement/

Here's a few.
>>
>>1512593
Blacks are 3.73x more likely to be arrested for marijuana possessions (FBI/Cencus). The disparities have increased 32.7% between 2001 and 2010. On the other hand, of the greater part of the new people smoking weed, young people, white people between the ages of 18 and 25 use marijuana at a higher rate than their black peers (Department of Health and Human Services).

How about heroin? Many lawmakers, even republicans, now want to refocus possession of heroin on rehabilitation, rather than incarceration. Did this begin when heroin started poisoning black children? No. This has been the case in black communities for a long time. Did it instead begin when heroin began to poison white children? Why yes it did. You may say, but of course, there are more white voters than black voters, so this is natural. But that is part of the point of the term "institutional racism": unless it is fought against, it is natural to any minority population to be at a disadvantage in majority rule.
>>
>>1510291
>Dear humanity majors,

Hi. Former classical studies major w/emphasis on dead languages and historical linguistics.

In short, your premise is shit.

inb4 "how's it like working at Starbucks" - I'm an (Amerifat) tax lawyer and real estate developer... in southern Poland.

In shorter shirt, feck off.
>>
>>1512613
Alright, I'll concede a loss there. I do still think "sockpuppet" isn't completely accurate.
>>
>>1512543
Dude, what are you even blabbering about? A well-educated electorate is THE foundation of a healthy democracy. This isn't a partisan issue.

Out of my ass opinion: it has become a partisan issue because the republican party benefits from a poorly educated electorate.

I'm not sure what you were referring to as the "biggest spenders on education." As a percentage of GDP, the US spends less per capita than is average among industrialized countries.
>>
>>1512623
>in southern Poland

I'm so sorry
>>
>>1512633
No, you're right, "Sockpuppet" is a bad term and I thought of that immediately after I hit post. I'd liken it to how there are no more "wars" only "conflicts". It's not really a sockpuppet as the whole organization doesn't do what he wants 100% of the time, but rather he funds individual groups to do certain things under the BLM banner. Frankly, the entire thing would be really fucking cool if it weren't used to our detriment.

>>1512637
The Democrats also benefit from a poorly educated electorate. See: African Americans, vote plantations, etc. The Republicans are guilty of being greedy, idiotic, and cowardly, but the Democrats are just as responsible.
>>
>>1510291
Dunno if it can it can be of some help, but I think oppression, whether it is expressed in racial/cultural/religious/etc... way, is a way to keep resources safe for a group instead of everyone else, but still using the "others" for your group purposes.
"Women are stupid and emotional, but they are part of our society (because of procreation)"
"Non-white are stupid and violent, but we have to treat them a equals (because they are a lot, and they fulfill the market and manpower needs)"
And so on...
Those "oppressed categories" are necessary, in a way or an other, to the society. But every society is controlled by a "group" who tries to keep his "privileges" (I'm really tired of this word) from every other group in the society.
So the controlling group impose his "prejudice" as a rule/law/knowledge/unspoken law/etc of the society, and the non-controlling group eventually adopt them, because they are also part of the society.
Now, in a practical way, I don't believe it is all "white male man fault", but this is a point of view.
>>
>>1512658
Namedropping Soros or the Koch Brothers is just often an alarm that goes off for me, indicating overly simplistic ideology. I suppose they shouldn't be ignored anyhow.
>>
>>1510291
>Or is modern progressivism starting to act more like a secular religion?
>starting to act

it was always a secular religion from the start
>>
>>1511912
literally advocating for Apartheid
>>
>>1512481
>Killing an unarmed person isn't self defense.
Utter nonsense.
Just because I have a gun does not give you the privilege to beat me with your fists as I stand there impotently because you are "unarmed".

Firearm usage in Western society adheres to a standard of behavior.

There is the assumption that you shall comply with the lawful commands of an armed person. If a man with a gun says "get off my property" it is expected that you shall comply and not ignore him, secure in the supposed moral deflector shield of being unarmed. If you do choose to ignore the lawful order of the armed man this puts you in a very precarious situation, because firearms are active weapons with no real defensive ability.

Since you are unarmed he will attempt to meet you halfway and force compliance through physical force rather than killing you outright as this is frowned upon in Western society, but this creates a terrifying predicament where ANY further resistance on your part can be construed as a deadly threat, nullifying your moral satus as unarmed.
How you ask?
As I said before, firearms are purely offensive weapons with no defensive ability. When someone with a firearm decides to use physical force against you he gives up all the inherent advantages of a firearm over an "unarmed" individual. He may as well be using a knife, in fact a knife would be more effective as you cannot grab a knife by it's blade to wrestle for control of it since it's edges possess an innate defensive capacity. Therefore the moment the "armed" man feels that is losing control of the situation to "unarmed" man his only logical choice is to use the firearm to regain control.
Why?
If he does not use the firearm to regain control he risks losing it to the unarmed man who may use it against him. Of course the "unarmed" man may choose not to use the firearm to kill the "armed" man but why should the "armed" man take that risk? The only logical thing to do is shoot.
>>
>>1512637
And how exactly do you define a "well educated electorate"?
The Soviet definition of "well educated" is quite different than that of Victorian England. So pardon us for being skeptical of systems that seek to "well educate" everyone as education is just another word for indoctrination.
>>
>>1512481
>>1512706
Permanently btfo
>>
>>1512481
>there are legitimately retards who believe this
>>
>>1510451
except for the shit cop that immediately pulled up and shot the kid with the airsoft gun which was indistinguishable from a real gun, what other footage is there of police blatantly executing people?
>>
>>1512706
Alright, tasers and mace don't exist. In this theoretical situation, where police have no means to force compliance with the law that are not deadly, they do not violate the constitution. Otherwise, they do.
>>
>>1512760
>there are people who think the constitution doesn't matter
>there are other people who pretend it matters when it suits them and then ignore other parts of it
>>
>>1512789
Retards bitch about cops using tasers too

you just can't win with some people
>>
>>1512801
The absolute top horseshit some people come up with is "why didn't they aim for the legs???". It's obvious those people never held a gun in their hands.
>>
File: never shoulda brought it up.jpg (44KB, 386x261px) Image search: [Google]
never shoulda brought it up.jpg
44KB, 386x261px
>>1512809
>all cops are evil jackbooted thugs
>only cops should carry guns
>>
>>1512801
There are, no doubt, times to complain about the use of tasers. As an invention, however, it is hard not to think that tasers an incredibly valuable.
>>
>>1512819
Cops are bad only if they are mean to black people, obviously.

I remember THE SAME PEOPLE on my Normiebook feed who called cops pigs over these black incidents celebrated the feds going gung ho on the militia in Oregon and even called for their deaths.
>>
>>1512819
>all cops are evil jackbooted thugs
Why are you arguing with these people? Then again, why am I arguing with these people?
>>
>>1512281
>They don't go around shooting other bikers
They literally do.
>>
>>1510475
listen sport, i went to school and lived around these hood kids. humans are still animals moved by biological forces whose effects can be extrapolated to all aspects of society, something of which social approval derives from. their "choice" to skip class and smoke blunts is the culmination of what can be concluded as a "positive" outcome in the given environment. what is actually a "positive" outcome on the larger scale of overall society is steps removed from what's immediately advantageous. in a hostile environment the immediate takes precedence and by dint of the lottery of life these kids have been placed in one. this can be seen expressed in their culture of immediate things like drugs, bitches, money, cars, guns, etc.
if you wanna get real race war, some races may legitimately be genetically intellectually inferior due to the divergence of ancestral human groups and what was necessary for survival between those groups, intelligence being conducive to the long term planning pertinent to agriculture that was necessary for some races and not others. whether that margin exists or not and whether it does exist and it's negligible, the majority of an individual's social development is through exposure and these kids are being exposed to and shaped by a shit culture.
not a directly correlated analogy but in the way that an organism might develop and pass on an overall negative trait that doesn't necessarily inhibit reproduction and may even be advantageous, this same mechanism operates in the organism of culture. on a micro scale skipping class and smoking blunts is that negative trait. on a macro scale hood culture is the negative trait in american culture.
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.