[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nihilism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (93KB, 598x820px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 598x820px
So im just now getting into philosophy, so some of this may seem silly. But as of now i am looking into nihilism, but im having a big issue with doing so. I just cant find any good material on epistomological nihilism, so im kinda stuck on it. So i am wondering if any nihilists here could help me out if possible. I was wondering if it is even possible to hold certain beliefes about our reality in general if you hold epistomoligical nihilism to valid. Lets say that i am a materialist and a nihilist, wouldnt that be contradictory because i am making a truth claim about our world?
>>
>>1508450
what difference does it make?
>>
>>1508450
>>1508455

Underrated thread
>>
>>1508450
If you think Nihilism is about giving up and simply accepting nothing has no meaning you fucking lost and failed to grasp the basic fundamentals Nietzsche tried to expound onto you.

Nihilism is about coping and eventually beating the fact that everything is inherently pointless. It's not about giving up as every millennial seems to think it is.

I already beat Nihilism, it's your turn now.
>>
>Nihilism

stopped reading right there
>>
>>1508450
nihilism is inherently incompatable with your biology.

you can just will yourself not to see the color purple, or see people as bricks.

you can only strive to be a nihilist like a buddhist strives to reach nirvana.
>>
>>1509449
you **can't** just will yourself

also Hume wrote something on the problem of induction, when I took epistemology that was the thing that sounded the most nihilistic.

as far as knowledge being meaningless I started asking myslef that question after the section on the foundation of knowledge, like is there a rock bottom to knowledge from which it is built on.

theres foundationalism, and contextualism,
but I came to the conclusion that knlowedge is pretty much anything someone tells you and you believe.

It might have been plato or aristotle that called knowledge Justified true belief. but the gettier example kinda blew it out of the water.

never really read anything skeptical or a dismal treatment of epistemology. I guess philosopher rely to much on knowledge for it to be meaningless.
>>
>>1508916
t. never read Nietzsche you cunt
>>
No, it wouldn't be contradictory. Understanding that true knowledge is impossible would only mean that you wouldn't hold this belief to be an absolute certainty; you'd be acknowledging that you're taking a leap of faith in holding it.

Personally, I contend this a healthy starting point from which to build a philosophical framework; once you understand the baselessness of all values, you'll never be confronted with the distress that comes from your values conflicting with reality itself and can adapt them as necessary.
>>
>>1508916
Albert Camus asserts that acceptance is the only true method for a nihilist, however. I don't agree with him, I'm just point it out.
>>
>>1508450
There are many types of nihilism.
>>
File: nihilism.png (286KB, 889x592px) Image search: [Google]
nihilism.png
286KB, 889x592px
Another nihilism thread.

May as well post this early on.
>>
>>1512194
>however. I don't agree with him
There is one truth in Nihilism. That is pointlessness which you HAVE to accept.

BUT - there is some good here. It allows you to see what is real, and what is not. You use nihilism as a weapon against ideologies to stress out what is objective, and what is not.

That which is objective stays in your ideologies, that which is not is thrown aside.

Therein lies the power of Nihilism, it doesn't mean give up, it means keep looking, until you find something relevant to you that can withstand the hammer of nihilism.

There can be no denial in Nihilism. Nihilism is about empirical facts - that which cannot be denied.
>>
>>1512264
And see this is exactly why I disagree with Camus. This "see the bright side" version of nihilism implies that there is meaning to life, aka the one you choose for yourself. Is this not simply a delusion? Another "escape", to use Camus' own words?
>>
>>1512292
>Is this not simply a delusion? Another "escape"
Yes. by saying otherwise you are essentially waiting for the objective truth to come along. Which may never come.

That's the point, everything is subjective and Nihilism has never been about giving up - it's about pushing through. Using the fact that everything is pointless and finding something relative to you and holding onto it as it cannot be abandoned, as it's intrinsic to your core.

If your ideology can pass though a Nihilistic gauntlet then it i sound ideology. It cannot be denied, by you. It HAS to be accepted.
>>
>>1512292
I always saw Camus' character in the Outsider not as an escapist but just doing what he felt was objective, he enjoyed shagging his girlfriend, smoking, swimming, sunbathing for no other reason than it was enjoyable.
Even when he wasn't doing these activities, such as on the day before he had to go back to work after his mums funeral he was content in doing nothing in his flat, which is probably a scenario which you would want to escape.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.