[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Timeline thread #2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 9

File: timeline.jpg (1MB, 1438x2439px) Image search: [Google]
timeline.jpg
1MB, 1438x2439px
So far we have 115 dates, and I think it's slowly starting to look like something.

To add an event, name the date and event and EXPLAIN WHY IT IS RELEVANT. The criterion of relevance is that you must be able to show how it changed the world, and (directly or indirectly) affected the world we live in today in a notable way.

You can find the timeline here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hUi0-QWIvQ5cSCvOWfxGt8UGYSyFQGOPjw58Cg8PXwg/. Use the button at the top left to filter events by category or by civilisation.
>>
I think a few more natural history dates would deserve inclusion.
>>
1994: creation of 4chan and birth of memetics.
>>
490 BC Battle of Marathon
>>
>>1496875
Yeah it's kind of a sudden leap from birth of the universe to invention of stone tools.

So go ahead, make suggestions.
>>
>>1496915
You mean because it prevented the Persians from conquering Greece? The Greco-Persian Wars lasted another 40 years though, are we sure Marathon is the most decisive battle?
>>
>>1496930
I'd say the victory of Greece over Persia belongs on that list. arguably Salamis (480 BC) is noteworthy too. These two battles at the very least guaranteed the rise of Athens to a power equal to Sparta. They became the defenders of the Ionians, leading to the Peloponnese Wars.
>>
>>1496950
Thanks, added Marathon.

I was going to leave out Salamis for now since Marathon seems to have been the turning point, but just realised Xerxes had taken Athens and ordered it razed before the battle. Can't decide.
>>
>>1496987
you will always have that problem, not only in this case. Compares to leaving out 1939, the start of WW2. it is pretty significant. Wars don't always boil down to one decisive battle. But yeah, you have to choose between a compact list that is more general - or a detailed, longer list.
>>
>>1497012
Well I'm trying to think in terms of "turning points". For WW2 I think there are two that make sense: Stalingrad, and the US joining the war (so Pearl Habor I suppose).

The start of wars usually aren't really turning points since they generally follow a long buildup of tensions and conflicts.
>>
>>1497034
I like your idea of creating a timeline. as long as it is possible to understand your way of thinking i don't see a problem. keep it up
>>
Euclid's Elements, for founding geometry.
>>
What about the Berlin Conference in 1885, which started the scramble for Africa?
>>
>>1497472
Didn't it already start before, and the conference was just about trying to organise it?
>>
>>1497034

>and the US joining the war (so Pearl Habor I suppose)

USA's contribution is WW2 is vastly overrated, it was mainly a conflict between Germany and Russia
>>
>>1497051
Thanks m8.

>>1497451
Will add.

>>1497472
I think the other poster may be right.

>>1497499
Yeah but the US joining prevented Western Europe from being conquered by Russia, and most importantly marks the moment when America replaces Britain as the world's foremost power.
>>
>>1497503

It would have been better if Russia had continued on to France and Italy
>>
>>1497499
>it was mainly a conflict between Germany and Russia

Shit Europeans say.

I know American education is bad, but you guys seem to completely ignore the entire Asian side of the conflict.
>>
>>1496820
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_War_of_Independence

This marked the beginning of the end of the Ottoman Empire.
>>
What about the Opium Wars? They caused the fall of China as a perceived world power and had it fragmented into spheres of influence that would shape what the country would turn into.
>>
Arab Spring?
>>
1215 - The murder of Buondelmonte de' Buondelmonti causing the wars between the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire.

1356 - The Golden Bull which made the HRE move from a federation where all Princes vote for the Emperor to being decided between only Seven Prince Electors. And controls over their duchies became integral of European politics until Napoleon controlled 5 of the Seven Electors forcing Francis the I to dismantle the Empire.

1720 - Peter I, Grand Prince of Moscow declares himself Tsar of All the Russias and Russia unifies. Prince Victor Amadeus declares himself King of Sardinia, which would eventually conquer all of Italy.

1763 - France loses its colonial Empire to Britain. Prussia becomes a major power.
>>
>>1497762
Oh forgot another good one.

1927 - Stalin defeats Trosky and becomes head of the Communist party in the Soviet Union.

1949 - Soviet Nuclear Weapons test.
>>
It's GRANADA, not Grenada. Grenada is in the Caribbean.
>>
-3500 BC domestication of the horse
Led to the inventions of chariots, cavalry, and spread of Indo-European languages across the Eurasian continent
>>
>>1496917
How about first lifeforms?
First vertebrates?
First humanoids?
Mass extinction events?
I can go get the dates but first, tell me, do these fit?
>>
This historical record is HEAVILY western/eurocentric.

>Ashoka converts to buddhism.
that's the only non-western, non modern historical event.

Can there be more eastern, african, even maybe some precolombian history included?
>>
>>1497982
no. this is history, not biology.
>>
>>1496903
>>1496903
2nd this

also 2016: moot dies
>>
>>1497676
Yeah, I think you're right. I used the London Protocol, hope that's right.

>>1497684
Which date would you suggest?

>>1497758
Yeah I'd be tempted to. It's a bit early to tell, but I think it will almost certainly have long term effects.

>>1497861
Yeah sorry, fixed it.

>>1497879
Fair enough.

>>1497982
>>1498037
We already have natural history dates, so I'd say yes why not. It doesn't run the risk of cluttering the timeline since they won't overlap with human history.

>>1498032
Well suggest some. But keep in mind events shouldn't be added for aesthetic reasons of balance alone.
>>
>>1497762
>>1497772

>wars between the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire.
Those started much earlier than 1215, and in fact ended earlier as well with the Concordat of Worms in 1122. I think you mean the Guelphs and Ghibellines in Northern Italy, but I'm not sure how significant that is.

>The Golden Bull which made the HRE move from a federation where all Princes vote for the Emperor to being decided between only Seven Prince Electors.
You mean it reduced the number of electing princes? Is that really that important?

>1720 - Peter I, Grand Prince of Moscow declares himself Tsar of All the Russias and Russia unifies. Prince Victor Amadeus declares himself King of Sardinia, which would eventually conquer all of Italy.
I can't quite figure out what actually changed in either of those events.

>1763 - France loses its colonial Empire to Britain. Prussia becomes a major power.
OK yes, the Seven Years War should probably be included.

>>1497772

>1927 - Stalin defeats Trosky and becomes head of the Communist party in the Soviet Union.
What specifically did this change? Would Russia have gone a completely different direction otherwise? Did Trotsky even stand a chance?

>1949 - Soviet Nuclear Weapons test.
I don't know, there are nine nuclear powers today, I don't think we'll add it for each of them. And it's not like Russia wasn't already a superpower.
>>
>>1498196
>I don't know, there are nine nuclear powers today, I don't think we'll add it for each of them
the Soviet Union is specifically important because this leads to MAD (mutually assured destruction). not to mention Russia still has the most nukes out of any country
>>
>>1496820
>that constant Charlemagne dicksucking
Reminder that the Arab siege of Constantinople was what stopped the Arabs.
>>
>>1496820
Battle of the Talas River in 751.

Resulted in Chinese Buddhism being cut off from Indian Buddhism and contained the spread of Tang influence to the east. Also helped spread Paper making tech to the middle east.
>>
>>1498224
Ironic anyone would claim such since the caliphate never attempted invasion of france again.
>>
>>1498224
Nigga you don't even know the difference between Charlemagne and Charles Martel, you don't know shit.
>>
>>1496903
Primordial memes predate 4chan
>>
The records of the grand historian is included as a a critical to the foundation of imperial china but the crowning of Gao Zu or Qin Shi Huang isn't?
>>
>>1497762
>>1498196
Actually for the Seven Years War, I had always heard it was a major step for Prussia but looking at it I can't tell how. It seems to me like the more decisive moment for the rise of Prussia was the Austrian War of Succession.

>>1498216
I think you're right, ok will add.

>>1498315
I guess I'll have to trust you on this one, since I know next to nothing about Chinese history. Did Chinese Buddhism closely follow Indian Buddhism before then and then significantly diverge?
>>
>>1498390
>The Records has been called a "foundational text in Chinese civilization".[2] After Confucius and the First Emperor of Qin, "Sima Qian was one of the creators of Imperial China, not least because by providing definitive biographies, he virtually created the two earlier figures."[3]
This seemed rather convincing.

But yeah I only add events if someone suggests them.
>>
>>1498423
Chinese Buddhism follows a different cannon and developed east asian and zen buddhism. But paper making was another lasting influence that then spread to the ME then to Europe. idk how you'd compress that.

>Islam's widespread emergence coupled with China's over-expansion, led to the Battle at Talas River, the only battle between Arab Muslim forces and the army of the Chinese Empire. The Chinese troops were led by Kao Hsien-chih, who had been successful in battles in Gilgit and in the Farghana region. But his success did not carry over, as the Muslim armies were victorious. The Muslims chose not to pursue the Chinese into central Asia.

>While the battle in itself was of minor importance, its ramifications on the future were very significant. The Arabs were put in a position to extend their Islamic influence throughout central Asia and its silk routes. The T'ang (in China) lost a good amount of power and their westward advance was halted. Muslim shipping in the Indian Ocean improved, which restricted the ocean's contacts with Hindu and Buddhist areas. The Muslims were never able to take control of the Himalayan northern borderlands. Paper manufacturing, an unexpected byproduct from the Battle of Talas, was first spread to Samarkand and Baghdad, then from there carried to Damascus, Cairo, and Morocco, and finally entered Europe through Italy and Spain. This diffusion originated when Chinese prisoners who knew how to make paper, an art discovered in China at least 650 years earlier, were taken by the Arabs at the Talas River. But most importantly, the Battle of Talas led to the An Lushan revolt, which broke out in 755. This rebellion paralyzed China for years and weakened the Tang dynasty until it collapsed a century and a half later.

>http://www.thenagain.info/WebChron/China/Talas.html
>>
>>1498433
Sima Qians work was started by historians of the past particularly his father. I suggest adding either the founding of the Han dynasty by Liu Bang in 202 BC. Or Zhao Zheng crowning himself the first emperor in 220 BC. The former being arguably the most famous of dynasties of which 90% of china identifies itself as and the latter starting the tradition that lasts until the 20th century.
>>
>>1498492
I can see the importance of the unification of China so I'll add the Qing dynasty (though I think the date is 221?), but I'm not sure for Han. I know the Han period is considered a golden age for China, but was that specifically due to Han rule? What exactly changed when the Han dynasty came to power?
>>
>>1498447
Thanks, I gave it a shot.
>>
>>1496820

1206 - Temugin was officially proclaimed Khan of all the Mongols, taking the name/title Genghis Khan.
>>
>>1498567
Check again, that's already in there. Unless you think the text should be changed.
>>
>>1498530
>221
Qi was conquered in 221 yes but he did not officially crown himself emperor until 220, which is the year his reign officially begins. In my opinion the act of distinguishing himself from the rulers of the past trumps the acquisition of territory.

>Why is the han important
Aside from the end of the Qin who was considered tyrannical for centuries after. Conquests that established the silk road and paper making are two that spring to mind as some of the most important. There was a lot of advancement in all the sciences and likewise technological advancements but the same can be said of any golden age I suppose.
>>
>>1498606
Do you have a source? Wikipedia says 221:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin%27s_wars_of_unification#Aftermath
>In 221 BC, after the conquest of Qi, Ying Zheng proclaimed himself "Qin Shi Huang" (秦始皇; lit. "First Emperor of Qin") and established the Qin dynasty.

>Conquests that established the silk road and paper making are two that spring to mind as some of the most important. There was a lot of advancement in all the sciences and likewise technological advancements but the same can be said of any golden age I suppose.
Then those events should be added individually. Unless there is something that makes the Han rulers fundamentally different without which those events wouldn't have been possible,
>>
The Magna Carta shouldn't be included, its importance is a 17th century myth. It didn't guarantee individual rights, only the rights of barons, and it wasn't respected, it was just an unsuccessful attempt at preventing the First Barons War.

A better date would be the battle of Bouvines in 1214, which established Capetian dominance over the Angevins, and aside from being hugely important for France, weakened the Angevins enough for the Magna Carta to happen, and especially for the barons to win the First Barons War with the support of a French invasion.
>>
>>1498651
Well fuck, you're completely right.

The Magna Carta seemed like such a no-brainer that I didn't think to research it. It goes to show nothing should be taken for granted.
>>
>>1496820
>only 3 east asian events in the entire timeline

Let's fix that.

-3630: Silk is invented by the ancient Chinese "Yangshao Culture".

-2361: Chinese peoples make their first contact with the Vietnamese.

-2070: The Xia Dynasty, the first dynasty in traditional Chinese history, is founded by Yu the Great.

-1675: Tang of Shang takes the Chinese throne, marking the beginning of the Shang dynasty in China.

-1250: Oracle Bones are first used in China for purposes of divination.

-1046: The Zhou dynasty comes to power in China.

-771: The Spring and Autumn period begins in China.

-660: Mythical Emperor Jimmu ascends to the throne of Wa, marking the end of Age of the Gods and start of traditional Japanese history.

-551: Confucius is born in China.

-475: The Spring and Autumn period ends and the Warring States (period begins in China.

-400: The earliest surviving Chinese maps and star catalogs appeared.

-342: The crossbow was first used in China.

-221: The state of Qin emerges victorious from the Chinese warring states period, and unifies China as an Empire for the first time in history. The Imperial Seal is carved from a historically famous piece of jade, and it would serve as a symbol of legitimacy for centuries.

-220: To protect China from raiding nomads of the Eurasian steppe, the construction of the Great Wall of China begins.

-202: Liu Bang claims the title of Emperor and founds the Han dynasty, styling himself as Emperor Gaozu.

-190: The Silk Road is firmly established as a trade route from East Asia to Europe, with the Chinese city of Chang'An as its eastern terminus.

-140: The Chinese Emperor Wu makes Confucianism the official philosophy/religion of China.

-60: The Protectorate of the Western Regions is established, marking the first time China exerted hegemony over Central Asia.

-30: The earliest surviving mention of the wheelbarrow appears.
>>
>>1498856
9: After rising to power in the Han court, Wang Mang declares himself emperor of the Xin dynasty, which existed alongside the Han dynasty in conflict.

25: The short-lived Xin dynasty is ended, restoring the Han dynasty to its former dominance of China under Emperor Guangwu.

97: The Chinese general Ban Chao sends the envoy Gan Ying to the outskirts of the Roman Empire. While he only manages to reach Parthia and never meets the Roman Emperor, he brings back stories of the Roman Empire to the Chinese, who come to refer to it respectfully as "Da Qin", a sort of counterpart to China on the other side of the world.

105: Chinese eunuch Cai Lun invents papermaking.

132: Zhang Heng, a Chinese polymath, invents the first seismograph, capable of detecting when an earthquake occurred and in which direction the epicenter lied.

166: A Roman envoy arrives at the Han Chinese capital Luoyang.

220: The Han Dynasty ends with the force abdication of Xian Han and the ascension of Cao Pi, styled Cao Wei, signaling the beginning of the Three Kingdoms period in China.

280: The Jin dynasty conquers Wu, ending the Three Kingdoms Period in China and unifying China under their hegemony.

386: The Wei dynasty takes power in Northern China, beginning the Southern and Northern Dynasties period.

399: Faxian, a Chinese Buddhist Monk, leaves for India to acquire Buddhist texts.

420: Liu Wu deposes Emperor Gong and establishes the Liu Song dynasty in southern China.

475: Bodhidharma arrives in China, marking the introduction of Chan Buddhism to China. He would later physically train Shaolin monks and develop Shaolin Kung Fu.

479: The Liu Song dynasty is ended and the Qi dynasty begins in southern China.

502: The Qi dynasty gives way to the Liang dynasty in south China.

538: Buddhism reaches Japan, and the Asuka period begins. The country ceases to be known as "Wa" and is renamed "Nihon".
>>
>>1498858
557: The Liang dynasty is replaced by the Chen dynasty in southern China.

577: The Northern Qi dynasty is overthrown by the Northern Zhou in China.

581: The short-lived Northern Zhou are replaced by the Sui dynasty in Northern China. The Sui would later reunite Northern and Southern China into one, ending the Northern and Southern Dynasties period.

609: The Grand Canal is completed in China.

618: The Sui dynasty ends and is replaced by the Tang dynasty, who would usher in an era of peace and prosperity after prolonged division in China.

635: The first Christian missionaries arrive in China. Nestorian monks from Anatolia and the Sasanian Empire build the Daqin Pagoda.

640: China establishes the Protectorate General to Pacify the West, re-establishing their rule over central asia.

673: With the reign of Emperor Tenmu, Japan becomes an empire.

735: Heavy smallpox epidemic occurs in Japan, resulting in third of population perishing, 10 years of social instability and 3 transfers of the capital.

May-September 751: The Battle of Talas - A combined force of the Abbasid Calihpate and the Tibetan Empire defeat the Tang Dynasty in battle in Transoxiana. This would mark the expansion of Islam in Central Asia and a recession of Chinese influence there. It would also mean Chinese Buddhism becoming isolated from Indian Buddhism, and evolving into a distinctly separate religious tradition.

806: The Japanese Kana scripts (invention popularly attributed to Kūkai) have evolved as distinct from Chinese characters.

845: The Great Anti-Buddhist Persecution: In China, Tang Emperor Wuzong abolished Buddhist monasteries as well as establishments of Zoroastrianism and Christianity, which were thought to be Buddhist heresies.

907: The Tang dynasty ends in China, ushering in a period of conflict called the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period.

917: The earliest Chinese reference to Greek Fire appears. Two years later, the flamethrower would first be described.
>>
>>1498864
950: In China, hand grenades are depicted for the first time.

960: The Song Dyansty rises to power, ending the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period of Chinese history.

1068: The Dry Dock was first used in China.

August 18th, 1227: The Mongol Khagan Genghis Khan dies.

1271: Kublai Khan founds the Yuan Dynasty after conquering much of China. He would later conquer it completely.

1274: 1st Mongol invasion in Japan repulsed in Battle of Bun'ei, said to have been aided by a "divine wind", a typhoon that led to the sinking of the Mongol fleet. A second invasion seven years later would also end in failure.

1294: The Yuan Dynasty under Temur Khan, styled Chengzong of Yuan, controls all of China.

1336: In Japan, the Ashikaga shogunate establishes domination over the imperial Northern Court. The "Daimyo" system is established.

1351: The Red Turban Rebellion: A large-scale rebellion against Mongolian rule in China is planned by the White Lotus Society. Various Chinese warlords rise up against the Yuan dynasty, and launch a fight for supremacy.

1368: The Ming dynasty unifies China under its rule, ushering in an era of stability under ethnic Chinese rule. It would be the last imperial dynasty run by ethnic Han Chinese to rule China.

1420: The capital of China is moved from Nanjing to Beijing, where it remains today.

1467: The Onin War marks the beginning of the Japanese "Sengoku Jidai", a period of civil war and feudal power struggles where violence and war became the norm.

1477: Kyoto, once the thriving capital of Japan, has been completely destroyed by the devastating Onin war.

August 15th, 1511: The Portugese conquer the Sultanate of Malacca.

1516: The Portugese explorer Jorge Alvarez arrives in Hong Kong.

1543: The first Europeans arrive in Japan, opening the Nanban trade period.

1557: The Kingdom of Portugal establishes a permanent Chinese trade settlement in the city of Macau.
>>
>>1498864
1572: Japan starts to stabilize under the conquests of Oda Nobunaga, signalling a beginning of the end for the bloody Sengoku period.

1582: The Honnouji Incident: An Oda general, Akechi Mitsuhide, betrays Oda Nobunaga and forces him to commit seppuku, ending Nobunaga's bid for total domination of Japan, and allowing Totoyomi Hideyoshi to fill the power vacuum.

1590: Chinese author Wu Cheng'en wrote Journey to the West.

August 4th, 1590: Totoyomi Hideyoshi defeats the Houjou clan in the siege of Odawara, completing his re-unification of Japan.

May 23rd 1592: Totoyomi Hideyoshi, ruler of Japan, orders an invasion of Korea.

December 16th 1598: The Japanese invasions of Korea end with the Japanese defeat in the Battle of Noryang.

1602: The Dutch East India Company (VOC) began shipping Chinese ceramics to Europe.

March 24th 1603: In Japan, the Edo Period begins as Tokugawa Ieyasu rises to the office of Shogun.

1635: In Japan, the Sakoku Edict of 1635 was issued, barring Japanese from leaving Japan and barring Europeans from entering, on pain of death. It instituted strict penalties for the practice of Catholicism and severely restricted foreign trade.

1644: The Manchurian Qing Dynasty overthrows the Ming Dynasty to become the final imperial dynasty in Chinese history.

1711: The East India Company (EIC) established a trading post in Guangzhou.

1721: The Chinese Rites controversy, a long debate among catholic clerics over whether Chinese ancestor worship and traditional practices could be considered acceptable when practiced alongside Christian theology, moved the Emperor of China to ban all Christian missionaries.

1807: Protestant missionaries begin a campaign of conversion in China that would last until the rise of communism, with the last missions expelled by the Communist government in 1953.
>>
>>1498873
June 3rd, 1839: Owing to the devastation the Opium trade was causing in China, The Qing Imperial Commissioner Lin Zexu ordered the destruction of roughly a thousand tons of opium seized from East India Company merchants in Humen. This would eventually lead to the First Opium War, a punitive war launched by Great Britain against China to protect its trade rights in the region.

1842: In Japan, the Tenpō Reforms greatly overhaul Japanese society by prohibiting immigration to the capital, further reducing contacts with Europeans, banning Western books or learning, and writing Buddhism out of the religious calendar.

August 29th 1842: The First Opium War ended with the Treaty of Nanking, under which China agreed to end the monopoly of the Cohong, pay reparations for the war and the destruction of opium, and cede Hong Kong Island in perpetuity. This would be the first of many such "unequal treaties" imposed on Qing China by foreign nations.

July 14th, 1853: U.S. Commodore Mathew C. Perry arrives off the coast of Japan in four ships. Perry orders harbor buildings to be shelled to force negotiations for a letter President Millard Fillmore sent to the ruler of Japan. This incident was coined as the "Arrival of the Black Ships" in Japanese History.

February 1854: Commodore Perry returns with twice the number of his "black ships", and finds that the Tokugawa Shogunate has submitted to nearly all of the demands made by US President Filmore. A month later, Japan would sign the Convention of Kanagawa, an "unequal treaty" opening trade with the US. Within five years, Japan signs similar unequal treaties with other western countries such as Russia and Great Britain, thus ending an isolation period of more than 200 years known as "Sakoku", whereby the Dutch and Chinese ships had limited trade exclusivity.

October 23rd, 1856: The British Empire and the French shell Guangzhou, and the Second Opium War begins.
>>
>>1498880
1858: The Qing dynasty signs the Treaty of Tientsin, under which foreigners were granted greater freedom of movement within China and France and the United Kingdom were promised war reparations. However, the second Opium War would not end for another two years. In the same year, China signs the Treaty of Aigun, ceding to Russia the land north of the Amur River.

October 18th, 1860: Franco-British forces loot and burn the Old Summer Palace, the home of the Qing emperor located in Beijing. Six days later, the Qing surrender, and sign the Convention of Peking, ratifying the Treaty of Tientsin and ceding the Kowloon Peninsula in perpetuity to the United Kingdom.

1868: In Japan, the Boshin War occurs between the Tokugawa Shogunate and those seeking to return power to the Imperial Court. Imperial victory marks the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate. The Meiji Restoration occurs as a result, restoring the Imperial Court to power, and causing many reforms which helped industrialize Japan and bring it to modernity by the early twentieth century.

1877: The Satsuma Rebellion, an uprising in Japan of disaffected Samurai against the newly empowered Imperial Court, is decisively crushed. This marks the end of all serious military opposition to the Meiji Restoration.

August 1st, 1894: The First Sino-Japanese war, also known as the Qing-Japanese war or War of Jiawu, begins, primarly fought for control of Korea.

April 17th, 1895: After a string of Chinese defeats in the 1st Sino-Japanese War, the Qing government would end the war by signing the Treaty of Shimonoseki, ceding Korea and Taiwan to the Japanese Empire. This embarassing loss of Korea as a vassal state would later spark a chain of events which would result in China's Xinhai Revolution.

May 29th, 1895: Japan invades Taiwan to enforce its newfound rule over the inhabitants, defeating the short-lived unreocgnized state known as the Republic of Formosa.
>>
>>1498885
June 21st, 1900: The Boxer Rebellion occurs. In response to anti-foreign unrest in China, the Empress Dowager Cixi issued the Imperial Decree of declaration of war against foreign powers, declaring war on the Russian Empire, United States, United Kingdom, Japan, France, German Empire, Italy, Spain, Austria-Hungary, Belgium, and the Netherlands simultaneously. Following this declaration, the "Eight-Nation Alliance" teamed up to deal China a devastating string of defeats.

September 7th, 1901: Qing China is forced to agree to the Boxer Protocol, under which the Eight-Nation Alliance was granted war reparations and the right to station troops in the capital Beijing.

February 8th, 1904: Japan launches a surprise torpedo attack on the Russian navy at Port Arthur, beginning the Russo-Japanese war.

September 5th, 1905: The Russo-Japanese war ends with the signing of the Treaty of Portsmouth. Russia would cede territory and property to Japan, who emerged as the victors.

January 1st, 1912: The Xinhai rebellion occurs, in which the newly formed Republic of China would fight against- the Qing Dynasty, seeking to end two millenia of imperial rule. Just over a month later, the last emperor of China, Puyi, would sign a treaty with the Republicans that removed his power over the govenrment and left him as emperor in name only.

August 23rd, 1914: Japan, allied with Great Britain, as well as seeking German pacific territories and international renown in postwar politics, declares war on Germany, entering World War I.

January 8th, 1915: Japan issues the 21 Demands to China, including demands for territory in Shandong, Manchuria and Inner Mongolia, rights of extraterritoriality for its citizens in China, and influence in China's internal affairs. After a boycott by Chinese citizens and many concessions on the part of the Japanese, they eventually signed a more reasonable treaty. This incident would be the end of cordial relations between the British and the Japanese.
>>
>>1498890
1916: After the President of the Republic of China ceded power to a military strongman named Yuan Shikai to preserve national unity, that same man attempted to crown himself Emperor of China. However, he died in this year after his failed bid to unify China, and the resulting power vacuum led to a period of division and conflict. China would be divided into various countries including republics, dictatorships, and communist states.

March 1st, 1919: The March 1st Movement signals the beginning of the Korean Independence Movement.

1927: During the first year of the reign of Emperor Hirohito, the Showa Financial Crisis rocks the Japanese economy. The Showa Financial Crisis would later be recognized as one of the early signs of the oncoming Great Depression.

September 18th, 1931: The Mukden Incident, a bombing of a Japanese railway in Manchuria, is staged by the Japanese military as a pretext for an invasion of Manchuria. The invasion begins immediately after the incident.

November 1931: The Soviet Republic of China was founded. Mao Zedong, who would later lead the People's Republic of China, gained experience in leadership and warfare during its existence. It was eventually defeated and dissolved by the republican Nationalist government.

March 1st, 1932: Japan conquers Manchuria and establishes the puppet state of Manchukuo.

October 16th, 1934: The Long March: The Chinese Workers' and Peasants' Red Army broke through the Nationalist lines attempting to encircle them at Ganzhou. This would turn the tide of Chinese civil war to the Communists, and begin Mao Zedong's meteoric rise to power.

March 7th, 1937: The Marco Polo Bridge Incident: Roughly one hundred Chinese soldiers were killed defending the Marco Polo Bridge in Beijing from a Japanese attack. Following this, the Communists and Nationalists would come together to form an uneasy "united front" against Japanese aggression.
>>
>>1498892
July 7th, 1937: The Second Sino-Japanese War begins. It would later merge into the greater conflict known as World War II, as part of the Pacific Front.

December 19th, 1937: The Rape of Nanking: Nanjing fell to the Japanese Central China Area Army. A six-week massacre began in which tens of thousands of women were raped and as many as three hundred thousand civilians were killed.

December 7th, 1941: Japan attacks the US Hawaiian port of Pearl Harbor, and declares war on the US, the Dutch, and the British, marking their entry into WWII and the creation of the Pacific Front.

August 6th, 1945: The United States drops two atomic bombs on Japan, one in Hiroshima and the other in Nagasaki, marking the beginning of the Atomic age and demonstrating on the world stage the awesome might of nuclear weapons. Nine days later, Japan would surrender to the Allies.

May 3rd, 1947: Japan's new post-war constitution goes into effect.
>>
>>1498895
October 1st, 1949: Mao Zedong declares the founding of the People's Republic of China. A month later, the Republic of China would move its capital to Taiwan and the PRC would come to control all of China, the first unifying force since the fall of the Qing dynasty.

1958: The Great Leap Forward: The Chinese Communist Party led campaigns to massively overhaul the Chinese economy and society with such innovations as collective farming and the use of backyard furnaces. This campaign would cause a famine that would claim over 40 million lives in China, known as the Great Chinese Famine.

August 19th, 1966: The Cultural Revolution begins in China, in which the Communist Party attempted to purge all remnants of old Chinese culture, including historical records and cultural artifacts, as well as capitalist practices and religious influences.

September 18th, 1980: China implements a one-child policy in order to control population growth, under which families may only raise one child. Because raising a male child was seen as preferable to a female, and each family could only choose one or the other, this policy led to the killing, exposure, or abandonment of thousands of Chinese infant girls.

April 15th, 1989: Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: A crowd gathered at the Monument to the People's Heroes to mourn the liberal former CPC official Hu Yaobang. The military was called in to quell the demonstration, and a famous picture was taken of a protestor refusing to move in the face of an oncoming tank column.

1991: In Japan, the "Lost Decade" begins. After a period of booming growth, the Japanese asset price bubble pops, causing a collapse of the Japanese economy and a significant effect on the global economy as well.

July 1st, 1997: The United Kingdom officially returns the sovereignty of Hong Kong to Chinese hands, marked by the Hong Kong handover ceremony. Nearly two years later, Portugal would transfer ownership of Macau in a similar fashion.

think that's it
>>
>>1498856
>>1498858
>>1498864
>>1498870
>>1498873
>>1498880
>>1498885
>>1498890
>>1498892
>>1498895
>>1498899
Fuck man, I appreciate your enthusiasm and a few of those seem good (I'll have to take some time to look through), but

>EXPLAIN WHY IT IS RELEVANT. The criterion of relevance is that you must be able to show how it changed the world, and (directly or indirectly) affected the world we live in today in a notable way.

(which is also why we don't add so much at once)
>>
>>1496820
Also here's some natural history dates that are a bit important.

-4 567 000 000: The Sun forms.
-4 500 000 000: The Sun enters its main sequence, and the Earth of a size we know today forms.
-4 250 000 000: Earliest evidence of life on Earth.
-3 850 000 000: Earliest evidence of photosynthesis. When photosynthesis developed, atmospheric oxygen became common on Earth.
-541 000 000: The Cambrian Explosion occurs, massively increasing biodiversity on Earth. The first Vertabrates, including Fish, appear.
-450 000 000: The first plants and animals begin to colonize the land.
-315 000 000: First evidence of repitles.
-251 400 000: The Permian Extinction event ushers in the Mesozoic Era, the Triassic Period and the age of dinosaurs.
-215 000 000: The first mammals appear.
-155 000 000: The first birds appear.
-66 000 000: The Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event marks the end of the Mesozoic era and the beginning of the current Cenozoic Era.
-18 000 000: Estimated age of the split between primate groups that resulted in the emergence of the Hominidae family, to which humans belong.
-6 000 000: Estimated age of the split between the Homo and Pan genuses, to which modern humans and chimpanzees belong respectively.
-3 000 000: North and South America are joined by the Isthmus of Panama.
-2 600 000: The current Ice Age begins.
-1 500 000: Earliest possible evidence of the controlled use of fire by Homo Erectus.
>>
>>1498924
Yeah I realize not all of that qualifies for being added, I recommend you read through it and pick out things you think were globally important. Stuff like the Northern and Southern dynasties or most of the various dynasty changes can probably be omitted. But stuff like the invention of the Dry Dock, the establishment of major powers like the Ming or Tokugawa, the birth of Confucius, and the Opium War really need to be there. Sino-Roman stuff can be included for fun.
>>
>>1498924
op confirmed for eurocentric western shill. probably a hypercapitalist jew too.
>>
>>1496820
>1808-1810
>Spain gets occupied by the french, and it's king, Ferdinand VII, abdicates and gets replaced by Napoleon's brother, Joseph Bonaparte.
>The spanish colonies begin to revolt due to the illegitimacy of Joseph.
>These revolt resulted in the independence of most of Latin America.
>It´s relevance lies in the fact that it was in the year 1810 that the collapse of the Spanish Empire began.
I hope I was able to convince you to add the date to the timeline OP. I figured it was important how this year marked the beggining of the end to the Spanish Empire.
Anyway, keep up the great job. It's nice to see some actual historical content in this board.
>>
You could easily include over a thousand events into the list..
>>
>>1498988
Nice. I was actually looking up some of the same things but found slightly different dates for some of them:

- where did you find such a precise date for the Sun? All I got was 4.6 bya
- 4.54 bya for Earth
- 4.4 bya for RNA life
- 3.4 bya for photosynthesis
- 530 mya for first animals on land (first footprints)
- 525 mya for first vertebrates (I guess not immediately at the Cambrian explosion)
- 434 mya for land plants and fungi
- 395 mya for land tetrapods (amphibians)
- 320 mya for reptiles
- 225 mya for mammals
- 160 mya for birds
- 12 mya for hominidae
- 7 mya for hominins

Don't know which are more correct, but I'm guessing a lot of those have a pretty big margin of error. The only one of yours I'm not sure we should include is Panama. Also for fire, I settled on 400 kya earlier since apparently that's still the scientific consensus, and all the evidence of older domestication seems to be still disputed, but I'm not sure so tell me if you know more.

I'll go ahead and make a few extra suggestions though, maybe let me know what you think:

- 13.3 bya: first galaxies
- 9 bya: formation of the Milky Way
- 4.527 bya: Theia impact (formation of the Moon and change of the Earth's atmosphere)
- 4.44 bya: Earth surface hardens
- 3.6 bya: first cells
- 2.1 bya: multicellular organisms
- 2 bya: first eukaryotes (cell nucleus)
- 1.2 bya: sexual reproduction (red algae, really important for boosting evolution)
- 665 mya: first animals (sponges)
- 600 mya: first worm with a central nervous system and light-sensitive cells (not sure about the date, but pretty important since it's the earliest brain, and primitive eyes allow for predator-prey dynamics and another huge boost in evolution)
- 60 mya: first primates
>>
>>1499005
Yeah I agree with those, though will have to check which dates exactly (for example I don't think birth dates are good, for instance for Plato and Aristotle we went with the foundation of the Academy and Lyceum, which is when they started writing, I don't know what a good date for Confucius would be).

>Sino-Roman stuff can be included for fun
lol, my first thought was "I really want to put that in there, but we can't really justify it". I was surprised at the respectful attitude of calling Rome the Western China though, not like Mongols or Ottomans to whom every foreign land was a wayward province.

>>1499327
Yes, I think maybe go with the abdications of Bayonne in 1808? And thanks for your support, it's much appreciated.

>>1499434
I'm expecting a few hundred, but we'll see how it goes.
>>
>>1499610
Correction, the Milky Way was actually formed 13.21 bya (so I'm guessing at the same time as most galaxies). The date I had is for the thin disk of the Milky Way, which is actually the last stage of a galaxy's formation (and is where our solar system is, which makes sense since ours is a third generation sun).

Also the centralised nervous system seems to be a bilateria thing, of which the first known fossils are 555 million years old.
>>
>>1499632
>not like Mongols or Ottomans to whom every foreign land was a wayward province.

To be fair the Chinese considered basically all of their neighbors to be barbarians. I'm pretty sure the only reason they respected Rome so much was because they were so far away. If they were neighbors they probably would have engaged in power struggles. The same goes for Rome's opinion of China - they considered many of their neighbors barbarians but they did seem to at least have some respect for the quality of Chinese goods, if not China as a whole. Of course some Romans actually hated silk and the silk trade though so it wasn't universal.
>>
Update:

So I added 25 natural history dates, based on these:
>>1498988
>>1499610
>>1499689

I went with the dates used in Wikipedia, though some are a bit uncertain.

Also added the domestication of horses, 1808 for Spain, and the 1763 Treaty of Paris for the colonial changes after the Seven Years War.

Also added Confucius and went with his return to Lu, which seems to be when he started teaching his philosophy to his disciples, who are the ones who spread it by becoming court officials and such all over China. Still have to sift through all the East Asian dates.
>>
27 September 1940: Tripartite Pact
>>
>>1501580
Nah, the pact didn't require Germany or Italy to declare war on the US after Pearl Harbor if that's what you mean.
>>
509 av. J.-C. - Roman independance from the Etruscans.

Obviously a date to consider as it eventually led to the formation of the Roman republic(after gradual administratif changes) and later the Roman empire.
>>
>>1501748
I just realised I wrote the date in french keeks sorry about that (509 BC)
>>
>>1497525
Regardless it is noteworthy that they didn't
>>
>>1501748
Added a foundation of the Roman Republic.

As far as I can tell it already was a republic from the start (two yearly elected consuls with checks and balances).
>>
107 BC Marian Reforms

Reorganized the Roman military to make it more effective (e.g. allowing landless soldiers) but as a byproduct made soldiers loyal to their commanding general rather than to Rome. The fall of the Roman Republic was a direct consequence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_reforms
>>
>>1501905
Nice one, added.
>>
Foundation of the state of Israel, May 14, 1948. Resulted in many conflicts and geopolitical crises throughout the 20th century (some bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war e.g. Yom Kippur) which still resonate to this day.
>>
File: Communist-manifesto.png (1MB, 600x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Communist-manifesto.png
1MB, 600x1045px
1848, February. Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels publish the Communist Manifesto, founding the ideology of communism which drove revolutions worldwide over the next 140 years or so and provided the ideological basis for the Soviet Union.
>>
>>1502247
Not the Balfour Declaration or something?
>>
>>1502295
That might actually be better if you're looking for one of the two. Also, can't believe I forgot about this, the Sykes-Pecot agreement should be included on a similar basis that it defined middle eastern conflicts and crises up to the present day.
>>
>>1498196
>I don't know, there are nine nuclear powers today,
there is small difference between eight nuclear powers and nine, but very huge between one and two.
>>
44 BC Assassination of Julius Caesar

1534 Act of Supremacy, English reformation, English monarch becomes head of church and breaks with the Papacy

1812 Napoleon's invasion of Russia and subsequent retreat

1865 End of the American Civil War
>>
>>1502280
>>1502360
Agreed on all of these I think.

>>1502525
Yeah I know, someone already convinced me.
>>
>>1496820
August 6, 4004 BC - Creation of the Universe.

(Go ahead and delete everything you foolishly had before this date.)
>>
>>1496820
the copper mining one is incorrect

first evidence of metallurgy with copper was around 7500 BC
>>
>>1502555

>44 BC Assassination of Julius Caesar
What exactly did it change in the long run?

>1534 Act of Supremacy, English reformation, English monarch becomes head of church and breaks with the Papacy
Yeah maybe, although it was repealed again. There was a bit of a back and forth between Catholicism and Protestantism in England throughout the 16th century. Not sure about that.

>1812 Napoleon's invasion of Russia and subsequent retreat
Napoleon wasn't yet defeated though, he just failed to conquer Russia. I think the decisive battle was Leipzig.

>1865 End of the American Civil War
Does it have any relevance beyond the US though? The only effects I can think of is ending slavery in the South (which would have happened anyway) and putting an end to any Southern ideas of independence, but I'm not sure it changed the course of history. I do remember reading something about how it made New York important, but I don't know about that.
>>
>>1502585
Shit my bad, I'll get right on that.

>>1502597
Got a source for that? I was going by Wikipedia on Chalcolithic but it's actually full of contradictions.
>>
>>1502609
>What exactly did it change in the long run?
An important step in Rome's transition from republic to empire. Antony and Octavian capitalized on the murder and Rome experienced a series of civil wars that would not end until Actium.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar#Aftermath_of_the_assassination

>Yeah maybe, although it was repealed again. There was a bit of a back and forth between Catholicism and Protestantism in England throughout the 16th century. Not sure about that.
I think the English reformation in general is an important event, but it's something that gradually took place over many years so it's hard to pin down to a single year and event. The 1534 Act of Supremacy is the best I can think of.

>Napoleon wasn't yet defeated though, he just failed to conquer Russia. I think the decisive battle was Leipzig.
France was unable to return from the loss of manpower it suffered in this invasion. I view it as Napoleon's Stalingrad -- victory is impossible from here on out although total defeat is not yet inevitable.

>Does it have any relevance beyond the US though? The only effects I can think of is ending slavery in the South (which would have happened anyway) and putting an end to any Southern ideas of independence, but I'm not sure it changed the course of history. I do remember reading something about how it made New York important, but I don't know about that.
De facto federal power over the states in important matters and tighter unification of the nation. People now think of themselves as Americans first and (e.g.) New Yorkers second. It's now "The United States" singlur not "The United States" plural. I think the United States would struggle to enter the world stage as strongly as it did in the early 20th century were it not for unification provided by decisive Union victory in the ACW.
>>
>>1502658
>It's now "The United States" singlur not "The United States" plural
The rest of your points regarding the united states I agree with but this "the united states is/are after the civil war" meme needs to die.
>>
File: 1349393127369.png (107KB, 390x477px) Image search: [Google]
1349393127369.png
107KB, 390x477px
>>1502700
I thought it wasn't just a meme. When did the shift actually take place?
>>
>>1502711
Even after the revolution people said "is" although "are" was far more common. Overtime it was phased out completely but it didn't begin with the civil war.
>>
>>1502658

>An important step in Rome's transition from republic to empire. Antony and Octavian capitalized on the murder and Rome experienced a series of civil wars that would not end until Actium.
Yeah but Rome was already in the middle of that. Caesar had just fought a civil war against Pompey, it all started at his return from Gaul. I just can't see how exactly it changed anything in the path Rome was taking, Octavian really just completed what Caesar had started.

>The 1534 Act of Supremacy is the best I can think of.
Yeah fair enough.

>France was unable to return from the loss of manpower it suffered in this invasion.
Maybe... although Napoleon wasn't defeated in battle until Leipzig. And Leipzig wasn't such a lost cause as far as I know, it's the betrayal of the German troops that tipped the scale. But maybe you're right and it's just my desire for easily pinpointed events that makes me tend towards Leipzig.

>It's now "The United States" singlur not "The United States" plural.
Yeah I know, that's how the story goes, but really didn't Americans already feel as American? With its Founding Fathers, constitution, and war of independence, it already had a very strong national mythology from the start. It seems like kind of a subtle change to me, at most a boost in the building of American national identity, not really a change or a turning point. And there are quite a few more significant civil wars that come to mind.
>>
>>1502700
>>1502719
Yeah I didn't look it up now but it always seemed like a meme to me. The kind of thing you learn in elementary school American history class.
>>
>>1502658
>>1502730
Fuck I can't decide for Napoleon. On the one hand the invasion of Russia seems like the turning point, since 1812 was the maximal extension of the French Empire, but on the other Napoleon rebuilt a large army after Russia and still won a major victory at Dresden against the combined forces of Russia, Prussia, and Austria.
>>
what's the point of this? there's already a prehistory list on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_prehistory) and the rest of it seems like a chapter summary of various history textbooks mixed with random technological invention and literature/artwork.
>>
>>1502777
My vote goes to Leipzig. Russia was a disaster, but it didn't wreck Napoleon beyond repair, and it didn't lead to an uninterrupted series of defeats the way Stalingrad did.

You also need to add Austerlitz though. Led to the dissolution of the HRE and basically to Napoleon conquering Europe, and spreading the Revolution everywhere. Which reminds me the Napoleon code should be included too, it's the basis for most law systems in the world.
>>
>>1502731
oh my god this thread isn't about evolution fuck off
>>
>>1502794
Creating the opportunity for general history discussion, questioning preconceived notions, and better understanding how and why things happened, and what made the world the way it is. The emphasis isn't the list of dates, but how events relate to each other.

>>1502799
Yeah, I think I might go with that for now simply because it's the logic we've been using so far, with apologies to the other poster. Also another thing is that Russia wasn't the only problem, the Peninsular War was going badly too. But this really seems like a grey area.

I can't really dispute your other two dates either. It's a lot of Napoleon but that can't be helped.
>>
some ideas:

1929 Black Tuesday and the beginning of the Great Depression

1939 Invasion of Poland and start of the Second World War

1947 Rejection of Marshall Plan
definitive formation of Eastern Block

1947 Tito–Stalin Split
Yugoslavia left Soviet sphere of influence and later became one of founders of Non-Aligned Movement

1947 Truman Doctrine
policy of containment of communism, lead to inclusion of Greece and Turkey in NATO and US involvement in Vietnam, or other countries in South America or Africa

1953 Discovery of the structure of DNA

1957 Sputnik 1
the first artificial Earth satellite, beginning of Space Race and Space Age

1960 Year of Africa
seventeen African nations gained independence, sign of the growing Pan-African sentiments

1960 Sino-Soviet split

1979 Iranian Revolution

1980 The global eradication of smallpox
scientific success of vaccination and international cooperation

1989 Revolutions
end of Communist rule in the Communist states of Central and Eastern Europe

Breakup of Yugoslavia and Yugoslav Wars
not sure which event or year pick, 1995 Dayton Agreement?
>>
>>1502853
if you want a historical discussion thread, you should just post something like a world history general with an updated historical list. this thread seems like a thread based around a somewhat pointless list.
>>
>>1502731
this
>>
1850 Taiping rebellion begins, bringing China to its knees with the death of around 20 million people

534 Publication of the Codex Justinianus, formalizing the Divine Right to rule and laying out the basis for civil law
>>
>>1502858
lel, I'm already thinking we have way too much 20th century, but let's see.

>1929 Black Tuesday and the beginning of the Great Depression
How much did that really affect in the end? I suppose it helped the Nazis rise to power.

>1939 Invasion of Poland and start of the Second World War
We haven't usually been adding the beginning of wars because they're not normally a turning point, just a continuation of a long building in tension and conflict. And Poland is no different, it wasn't even the first country Hitler invaded.

>1947 Rejection of Marshall Plan
>1947 Truman Doctrine
Isn't the Cold War really just the unavoidable consequence of the world being split into two zones of influence of two superpowers?

>1947 Tito–Stalin Split
Was the Non-Aligned Movement ever really a thing? Seems to me like almost every member was de facto under either American or Russian influence, and the rest had no clout.

>1953 Discovery of the structure of DNA
OK yeah.

>1957 Sputnik 1
Yeah... I'm wondering if we should keep Gagarin and the Moon Landing though, three space race dates seem like a lot. Of those Sputnik is probably the most important.

>1960 Year of Africa
Would be relevant if Africa had done anything much since then, but it didn't, and Pan-Africanism hasn't led to anything yet.

>1960 Sino-Soviet split
Not sure about this one. Could you explain what effects it had?

>1979 Iranian Revolution
Why exactly?

>1980 The global eradication of smallpox
We've effectively eradicated a lot of diseases though.

>1989 Revolutions
Yeah maybe we should use this instead of 1991 (dissolution of the Soviet Union).

>Breakup of Yugoslavia and Yugoslav Wars
That's pretty localised.
>>
>>1502908

>1850 Taiping rebellion begins, bringing China to its knees with the death of around 20 million people
China was already pretty weak though, as demonstrated by the Opium Wars (still haven't added a date for that).

>534 Publication of the Codex Justinianus, formalizing the Divine Right to rule and laying out the basis for civil law
That's a complicated one. From what I know Justinian's codex was never actually widely used. It's only centuries later that scraps of it were used as legal arguments in Western Europe, but never as the foundation of any legal system. It only significantly influenced Catholic canon law, but not common law systems.

I don't think events should be added when their importance mostly rests in a meme created much later. And there is no precise date for the rediscovery of the codex either, it was extremely gradual. Really the defining moment was whatever it contributed philosophically to the Napoleonic Code.
>>
>>1496820
1453 : Battle of Castillon, end of the Hundred Years War.

Why was it important ?

It isn't the event itself that changed much to Europe's history. However, the Battle of Castillon came to a closing of the two nations of France and England.
When those two nations entered in the Hundred Years War, it was just a feudal warfare between two medieval armies made of knights and mercenaries, for the control of the french crown, for the benefit of a french king of England.

At Castillon, it was completly different. The french army was a permanent military, with a modern artillery. France became France : With the defeat of Castillon, the Guyenne became french and slowly adopted the french identity. Same goes for England, who went through the whole war with a lot of power slowly gained by the real english people, who spoke english, instead of the english aristocracy who was more french than anything. After Castillon, the English would never own any other continental possession on Europe (Except Calais just for a century), and this greatly influenced the two states : While France became a continental power, England started to look west, to create a great colonial Empire.
>>
1477 : Death of Charles the Bold during the battle of Nancy.
During all his life, Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, tried to found the Kingdom of Lotharingia and inherited a great country who stretched from Flanders to Switzerland. After his death, all of his possessions would get military conquered and claimed by both France and the Holy Roman Empire, setting a huge conflict who would last for a long, long time, even until WW2.
>>
>>1503042
Doesn't sound like those things changed at Castillon though. The turning point was probably something with Joan of Arc, after that the Angevins had lost.

I think there should also be the battle of Poitiers though. The French king was captured, there was a revolt in Paris, Burgundy sided with England I think, and basically it totally fucked up France into a century of chaos. It's the reason France stopped being the center of everything and Italy and Germany took over with Renaissance and Reformation.
>>
>>1503060
Arguably that conflict started at the treaty of Verdun in 843 lel.
>>
>>1496820
For Bouvines, you could also add another result : End of the Othon dynasty on the throne of the Holy Roman Empire, and triumph of Frederick II. Frederick II became Emperor thanks to the defeat of his rival at Bouvines. Frederick of Hohenstauffen would be a patron of art and science alike, conquered back Jerusalem thanks to diplomacy, and had a huge fight with the papacy.
>>
>>1503067
It didn't change with Joan of Arc, whose campaign only lasted for a year and had no impact except for propaganda, allowing Charles VII (Who was until that point seen as nothing more than a bastard and a usurper) to claim the French crown. The real changes happened during the 1440s ear, where the French King managed to edic ordinances that allowed him to rely on both a permanent military, and a permanent tax system, turning France into a modern, absolute monarchy. Also, it is during that era that all of the mercenary companies ceased to exist and ravage the countryside.
But the military victory was at Castillon.
>>
-1200: Bronze Age collapse

Basically all the east Mediterranean societies collapsed at the same time, leading to the Greek Dark Ages. Sea People raids on Egypt at the same time seem to be related.
>>
>>1503042
But from what I understand Castillon was just the conclusion and consequence of France (or I should say the Valois) winning Joan of Arc's campaign, and after that the war was already won. I do agree with your justification, just not sure about attributing it to Castillon.

>>1503060
>>1503072
Will have to look into that, but isn't the Verdun thing unironically true? It's basically always been Western and Eastern Francia fighting over Lotharingia.

>>1503073
lmao, there's no more space! Who would have thought a battle most people never heard of would turn out to be such a massively important event for all of Europe.
>>
>>1503088
Do we know what caused it?
>>
>>1503111
Well, it seems pretty innocent, but Bouvines had consequences for all the great powers of Western Europe.
For France, it was a triumph, and in particular, a triumph of the King, who fought personally in the field, leading forces from his personnal ost after many of his vassals refused to follow him ; Basically, after Bouvines, all the Kings decided that the only way to rule things would be to run them themselves, explaining why France became such a centralized state, even today.

For England, it was a terrible defeat, an utter humiliation for the english King who lost the valuable possession of Normandy. He was quickly seen as weak, and forced to give back concessions to his aristocracy. Though the Commoners were still weak, their Parliament would get a lot more power during the HYW.

For the Flemish, it was just the start of a complete french domination who lasted for a long, long time, until the death of Burgundy.

For the "germans" of the Holy Roman Empire, it was a great change of dynasty with the crowning of Frederick. Though Frederick was one of the greatest Emperors to rule the center of Europe, it was also the start of a decline, with the german knights being defeated by the french, starting a lot of inner fighting who would continue and only worsen with the ages.
>>
-594: Solon becomes Archon and lays the foundations for Athenian democracy

-490: Battle of Marathon: Greeks repel First Persian Invasion

-479: Battle of Plataea, Battle of Salamis: Greeks repel Second Persian Invasion

>>1503119
Not really. Some put the blame on a volcano (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hekla_3_eruption), the theory being that it changed the climate for some years, severely decreasing crop yields. Others say a bunch of things went wrong at the same time and the structure of the societies of the time was unsustainable and couldn't take the impact of a "shock". There was probably an extended drought that played a role, probably leading to peasant revolts.

One interesting fact is that things seemed to be going downhill for a while before the collapse. The Mycenaeans build large walls and dug hidden wells inside their fortresses, so clearly they were scared of something. The Dorian Invasion/Return of the Heracleidae theory is based on external invaders, and was popular for some time, but it has multiple problems: the Mycaenean citadels were simply abandoned, not taken over by invaders (or even destroyed). And the Mycenaeans spoke Greek, so they were not conquered by any "external" enemies.
>>
>>1503004
It might have already been pretty weak, but it is hard to say that the deaths of 20 million or so people is unimportant. It was the apogee of the Century of Shame, and thus is should be included.

Justinian's codex was widely emulated, even in his own time. The scraps that did survive provided a right to kingship that didn't involve the notion of 'I have the biggest sword', and shows the religious nature of what it meant to be a king. I don't understand how absolute right to rule can exist without divine right, so Frederick the Great and Louis XIII are getting exactly nowhere without it. Furthermore, civil law exists everywhere not named the UK or America, so it is vital in our understanding of the modern world.
>>
>>1503081
But allowing for the king to be crowned at Reims was hugely important for establishing his legitimacy. After that Burgundy joined the Valois side. Didn't that alone already put almost all of France back into Valois hands? Basically there was an uninterrupted string of victories started with Joan of Arc.

I know Aquitaine was still Angevin, and reading up on it I can see the importance of Castillon both for France and England, but Joan of Arc seems like an even bigger turning point since it saved the Valois side from the brink of extinction.

BTW I remember about Charles VII creating a standing army, can't find anything about taxation.
>>
>>1503182
We already have Marathon and Salamis. And instead of Solon we have Cleisthenes. Do you disagree?

For the Bronze Age collapse, it seems to go beyond Greece though, all across the Levant.
>>
>>1496820
Battle of waterloo where
>>
>>1503260
Waterloo wasn't incredible in Humanity's History. If anything, it was the last, epic, dying breath of Napoléon Bonaparte. The real huge defeat was at the battle of Leipzig, the bloodiest battle on Europe's soil until WW1.
>>
>>1501851
>As far as I can tell it already was a republic from the start
It wasn't. Rome began as a kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Kingdom

Of course some of this history is semi-mythical (obviously the founders of Rome weren't raised by a wolf, Romulus is probably fictional) but it's pretty likely there were in fact kings of Rome before they were overthrown and the Republic appeared.

By the way OP you might want to check out this book, seems pretty relevant to what you're doing.

>Isaac Asimov's Chronology of the World
https://books.google.com/books?id=trSMQgAACAAJ&pg=PA69
>>
>>1503231
>For the Bronze Age collapse, it seems to go beyond Greece though, all across the Levant.

Oh yeah, everything from Troy to Gaza was fucked. The Egyptians managed though, probably due to the Nile.
>>
>>1503183

>it is hard to say that the deaths of 20 million or so people is unimportant
It happened more often than one would think. Especially in China. Last thread we concluded that high death tolls alone don't necessarily change the world, hence the non-inclusion of the Spanish flu.

>I don't understand how absolute right to rule can exist without divine right
I'm not sure I see how they're connected. Divine kingship in the West referred itself to Christianity, and to a lower extent to ancient Roman emperors, but through Charlemagne, not Justinian. Not to mention monarchy itself was born out of religion and is fundamentally divine.

>civil law exists everywhere not named the UK or America, so it is vital in our understanding of the modern world
Yes but as I understand it it exists because of Napoleon, not Justinian. Justinian's wasn't the first attempt to codify laws either.
>>
>>1503260
Leipzig seems like the more decisive one.

>>1503275
No I mean it was a republic starting from 509, it didn't develop into one later like the previous post said.

And thanks, that does look intriguing.
>>
>>1503287
>20 million deaths
What did Spanish flu lead to? Not a whole lot. What did the weakening of the Chinese empire lead to? A long ass time in which the most populated country in the world was the plaything of Western powers. It doesn't make sense for the Opium Wars to be the catalyst, but this makes a whole lot of sense.

>absolute rule
And where did referring itself to Christianity come from? Where did Charlemagne get the idea that god wanted him to be king from? Justinian tied the Eastern Roman Empire to the Church more than anyone else did.

>civil law
And Napoleon was influenced by what exactly? It is like saying the signing of the Magna Carta is irrelevant to the Constitution.
>>
>>1502968
>How much did that really affect in the end? I suppose it helped the Nazis rise to power.
I assume you're just underinformed and not actually asserting the Great Depression was no big deal.

The Great Depression was a global phenomenon that shaped a generation. International trade plunged by more than 50%. It also paved the way for women joining the workforce, a change which profoundly effects western society today.

As you said it influenced the Nazis and their rise, but it also completely changed other countries as well. Like Chile, who relied almost entirely on copper exports and saw a complete economic collapse.

It also caused a rise of socialism in France, totally fucked Germany and led to the rise of Fascism in Europe, drove Great Britain among other nations off the Gold Standard, caused a dictator to seize power in Greece, resulted in Japan's finance minister being assassinated, caused the Siamese revolution which ended monarchy in Thailand, shaped US foreign and domestic policy profoundly... and more.

The Great Depression was a huge deal. Saying "well it didn't affect that much in the end" is a massive, massive understatement.
>>
>>1496820
1823: The Monroe Doctrine.

Shapes US foreign policy for the next two centuries, completely changes the game on foreign intervention in the Americas, formally establishes the US as a great power. If the Monroe Doctrine didn't happen I think the history of the Americas would be very, very different. America may have never risen to the status of superpower on the back of its naval might and American sphere of influence and that would completely change the world we live in today. The Cold War, which shapes the entire sociopolitical environment we live in, wouldn't have happened, or it wouldn't have gone the same way.
>>
>>1503149
Nice, thanks for the detailed explanation.

I think you're right (if that was you) and Castillon should be added, it seems to be significant in all kinds of ways. It still feels like Joan of Arc was the turning point of the war though, without her campaign no Charles VII to reform the army or win at Castillon.

>>1503310
>What did the weakening of the Chinese empire lead to? A long ass time in which the most populated country in the world was the plaything of Western powers. It doesn't make sense for the Opium Wars to be the catalyst, but this makes a whole lot of sense.
Well no see the Opium Wars show that China was already the plaything of the West, and the first one happened before the Taiping Rebellion, so whatever the cause of China's weakening was it can't have been that.

>And where did referring itself to Christianity come from?
Well Christianity was the religion of Western Europe, that wasn't due to Justinian. And the model of the divine king came from the Old Testament, king David etc. What exactly does Justinian's codex even have to do with divine kingship?

>It is like saying the signing of the Magna Carta is irrelevant to the Constitution.
We actually took out the Magna Carta from the timeline since as it turns out it's another meme created much later. It was never put into practice and it didn't do any of the things attributed to it by 17th century English parliamentarians.
>>
>>1496820
c. 3200 BC: The first known system of writing, Sumerian Cuneiform, appears.

I think it goes without saying that the invention of writing is absolutely relevant, especially to history. It's by far the most important development in all of human history except the dawn of agriculture. Without writing, things like trade, history, learning, religion, culture, and politics would never have advanced beyond a tribal state. Oral history would be the norm. Things like books wouldn't exist. Needless to say this is a big deal. Writing WAS developed elsewhere independently but this is the first known example of it.

2000 BC: Believed birth year of Abraham, who is the father of Abrahamic Religions.

As of the 21st Century AD Abrahamic religions are adhered to by more than 50% of humanity. If Abraham were not born, things like the Muslim Conquests, the Crusades, Christ, the conversion of Rome to Christianity, missions in the New World... none of those things would've happened. The middle east and west might've ended up sharing a religion, or multiple religions could've torn Europe apart akin to the Protestant wars of religion; this would have a profound impact on history. What's more, Abrahamic religions are the premiere monotheistic religions in the world. At the time of their creation, they were the only ones in existence, as far as we know. So if Abraham were never born, polytheism might be the norm today. That means a massive cultural change all over the world.

285: Diocletian becomes emperor of Rome and splits the Roman Empire into Eastern and Western Empires.

This sowed the seeds for a division between East and West that would persist for thousands of years. Though arguably such a division may have already existed, I think it goes without saying that if Diocletan did NOT split the empire, Rome's fates, and by extension Eurasia's, may have been radically different.
>>
>>1503325
I didn't say it didn't affect much, I asked what it affected. Socialism in France was very short lived and fascism in Italy predates the crash, but ok for the rest.
>>
>>1496820
1095: Pope Urban issues the Crusades to capture the Holy Land, and to repel the Seljuk Turks from the Byzantine Empire.

The Crusades shaped an entire era of history and led to the establishment of some states that still exist today. The Kingdom of Jerusalem was also the first experiment in European colonialism. It led trade republics like Genoa and Venice to flourish under a reinvigorated near east trade. The ties between the church and military and rising militarism in Catholicism would lead to seizure of property by the church in later centuries as well as influence the appearance of indulgences - both of these things directly caused the rise of Protestantism, which shaped the course of European history for centuries to come.

The crusades would be mimicked in other parts of the world in the Northern Crusades, German Crusades, Livonian Crusade, Prussian Crusade, etc. which led to the total Christianization of Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Russia, Scandinavia... History would be very different if the slavs didn't become Christian.
>>
>>1502858
>1953 Discovery of the structure of DNA
Was just checking this out, but wouldn't the Hershey–Chase experiment in 1952 be more important? It's what proved the link between DNA and genetics. Oh wait there's also the Avery–MacLeod–McCarty experiment in 1944 which sounds similar. Nothing is ever simple.
>>
>>1503453
That's the Coucil of Clermont, it's already added.

Thanks for the interesting justification though.
>>
>>1503339
I'd tend to agree.

>>1503391
Agreed with writing and Diocletian. But Abraham is a mythical figure and there is no evidence of anything like Judaism existing that long ago. A more likely founder would be someone like Moses (also a mythical figure though so probably shouldn't be mentioned by name) and an emergence of Judaism around 1200 BC.
>>
>>1503453
some more things, I don't think they need explanation, ask if you think so

718: Battle of Covadonga: The Iberian Reconquista begins. This would eventually drive Muslims from Iberia and result in a unified Spain.

1206: Genghis Khan was elected as Khagan of the Mongols and the Mongol Empire was established.

July 27th 1299: The Ottoman Empire is founded by Osman I.

1331: Estimated date for the initial outbreak of the Black Plague.

1337: The Hundred Years' War begins.

1453: Constantinople falls to the Ottoman Turks.

1543: Copernicus publishes his theory that the Earth and the other planets revolve around the Sun.

1547: Grand Prince Ivan the Terrible is crowned Tsar of All Russias, thenceforth becoming the first Russian tsar.

Finally:

1637: Rene Descartes publishes "Discourse on the Method".

Allow me to explain this one. Rene Descartes is widely regarded to be the first philosopher to propagate the use of skepticism - in his own words: "never to accept anything for true which I did not clearly know to be such." Clearly, this demonstrates a movement away from faith based thinking and towards rationalism, ushering in the Enlightenment in Europe. This method of pro-foundational skepticism is considered by some to be the start of modern philosophy. It would also lead to the development of the modern Scientific Method. While "Discourse" was actually a pro-Christian text and does have some logical flaws, it was a seminal work in the field of logic and rationalism which dominates modern philosophy and science.
>>
>>1503507
>But Abraham is a mythical figure
This is true, but I think the rise of Abrahamic religion should still be mentioned in some way because of how influential it's been. Even if it's just an approximate date that says "abrahamic religion appears"
>>
>>1503391
Abraham sure as fuck didn't invent monotheism.

Actually that was probably Akhenaten. We should include that.

Maybe also include an approximate date for the Jewish covenant, although Judaism didn't become truly monotheistic until much later, and in its modern form it's barely older than Christianity.
>>
>>1503534
Also as a comparison, other semi-mythical figures like Romulus and Yu the Great are still mentioned even though they might not have existed - not because they were real, but because they are the only known marker of the founding of a major power. The same would go for Abraham: he might not have really existed or his name might've been something else, but our best guess is that he was born around a certain time and that eventually led to Abrahamic religion, something massively important.
>>
>>1503530
Lel 5 of those are already in there.
>>
>>1503544
Eh, I kind of disagree, even if you're correct about Atenism being the first monotheistic religion. Atenism may have been the first but it didn't end up influencing much of anything down the line. It died with Akhenaten and was summarily wiped from Egyptian history by the Egyptians themselves, who immediately returned to polytheism. Historically, it wasn't nearly as significant as the foundation of Judaism, whether Judaism truly BEGAN as monotheistic or as monolatry.

So yeah, perhaps it should be added as "Believed birth year of Abraham, who is the semi-mythical father of Abrahamic Religions." with the explanation as "would eventually lead to the rise of monotheism as the dominant theological view, with over half of humanity following a religion descended from ancient abrahamic religion"
>>
>>1503545
But we didn't include either of those either.

Abraham is nothing, just a fictional ancestor figure for the Hebrews for a time when Hebrews didn't even exist. Might as well include Jupiter.
>>
>>1503569
Dude it's probably not just a coincidence that the Jewish covenant happened about a century after Akhenaten and in Egyptian ruled land. And the mythical figure held responsible for the covenant is Moses, not Abraham. There was no such thing as Jews before that.
>>
>>1503581
*tips gigantic nose*
>>
Is the Abraham poster the same crazy fuck who doesn't believe in evolution?
>>
>>1503574
The point is that even if Abraham didn't exist, the fact that Abrahamic religion appeared is extremely significant to history, and the supposed birth of Abraham is a good anchor date to put it on, whether or not it's actually accurate. Remember it's just an estimate and Abraham would be called semi-mythical.

I mean, Jesus Christ may or may not have existed but he's in there. Granted there's a bit more evidence for his existence but still. The reason he's included regardless is because the movement that appeared in his name was historically significant. The same goes for Abraham.
>>
Herodotus reckoned that the year of the Trojan War was around 1198 I think.

Modern archaeology places destruction of one Troy level (VII I think) at 1185 or so.

Might be worth mentioning but I know a lot of folks disagree or want more evidence of the exact events before agreeing it happened.
>>
Added:

- Invention of Sumerian cuneiform
- Diocletian's reforms
- Battle of Poitiers (1356)
- Battle of Castillon
- De revolutionibus orbium coelestium by Nicolaus Copernicus
- Coronation of Ivan the Terrible as Tsar of all Rus
- Monroe Doctrine
- Treaty of Nanking
- Launch of Sputnik 1
- Fall of the Berlin Wall (instead of 1991)

to do:
- some of the East Asian dates
- look into Bronze Age collapse

>>1503530

>718: Battle of Covadonga
From what I can tell the early Reconquista was mostly the work of the Franks, who stopped the Muslim advance at Tours, the drove them back over the Pyrenees, and liberated Navarre, Aragon, and Catalonia. Covadonga seems like a very small battle that only gained symbolic importance later as the first act of resistance, but Asturias doesn't seem to have been the driving force behind the early Reconquista.

>1337: The Hundred Years' War begins.
We have 1356 for the battle of Poitiers now, which determined that the Hundred Years War would become such a clusterfuck for France. I mentioned earlier why I don't like the start of wars, although in this case it's a dynastic struggle so it might make sense, not sure. But it seems like the war didn't really have much effect until 1356.

Added 1547, and all the others were already in there, except we have 1347 for Black Death.

>>1503545
Abraham is a mythological figure, and Judaism appeared much later. The cult of Aten and the Covenant might be worthy of inclusion though.

>>1504056
Did the Trojan War have any known impact other than mythological? It actually seems to be part of the Bronze Age collapse.
>>
>1532
Machiavelli publishes The Prince, making the argument that a ruler does not need to be moral (previously the idea had been that a successful ruler should be pious, even though most monarchs were really only pretending). It marks an important step in the transition to secularism and is the first major work advocating realpolitik.
>>
>>1505619
Added.
>>
>>1505626
If we have the Prince and the Communist Manifesto, we also need the Social Contract by Rousseau. It's the foundation of political rationalism and the modern state concept.
>>
Was Galileo even alive in 1623? I think you may have an error there.
>>
1204 Sacking of Constantinople, as it pretty much killed the Byzantine empire and placed it in a position where it never recovered.
>>
1849: Production of "Minié Ball" bullets begins - conical projectiles, in barrel expansion, etc

The result has many different facets. The largest is probably the physical damage and fatalities caused to soldiers was a massive leap from smooth bore balls. Other improvements include massive aerodynamic improvements (would be applied to things like artillery as well), and a step towards the invention of self contained firearm rounds.

A good summary:
http://www.historynet.com/minie-ball
>>
>>1505648
>The French philosopher Voltaire used his publications to criticise and mock Rousseau, but also to defend free expression. In his Idées républicaines (1765), he reacted to the news that The Social Contract had been burned in Geneva, saying "The operation of burning it was perhaps as odious as that of writing it. [...] To burn a book of argument is to say: 'We do not have enough wit to reply to it.'"[2][3]

Why is Voltaire so awesome, so many idiots in the world could benefit immensely just from internalising a few of his quips.
>>
>>1505648
>>1505658
Added.

>>1505652
Yeah he was? He died in the 1640s iirc.

>>1505660
I can see how it made war bloodier, but it seems more like an increment than a turning point.
>>
Since we have Copernicus I'm wondering if Kepler's New Astronomy should be included. Kepler's model was actually accurate (that of Copernicus wasn't) and expressed entirely in mathematical laws.
>>
December 17, 1903
First powered, heavier-than-air flight by the Wright Flyer.
Heavier-than-air flight will come to dominate war and commerce and is arguably one of the top 5 most important inventions in history.
>>
File: first airplane.png (67KB, 920x561px) Image search: [Google]
first airplane.png
67KB, 920x561px
>>1506260
There was a discussion about this in the last thread. The posts in pic related made a pretty convincing argument for Santos-Dumont in 1906, and nobody challenged that position afterwards, so I went with 1906. But it's all open to debate if you disagree.
>>
Denis Papin for the steam engine. I think you already mentioned it but forgot to add.
>>
>>1506362
I mentioned it in the context of the Industrial Revolution, since someone suggested one of the engine innovations, and I said I couldn't see on which basis to choose one of them since the Watt engine is just an improvement on the Newcomen engine, which is just an improvement on the Savery engine, which is just an improvement on the Papin engine.

But yeah now that it's been suggested I'll add him.
>>
>>1506394
>Newcomen engine, which is just an improvement on the Savery engine, which is just an improvement on the Papin engine.
Actually no, the Savery engine was less advanced than the Papin engine since it didn't use pistons. The Newcomen engine is a rebuilding of the Papin engine.
>>
>>1506410
Ah yeah, my mistake.
>>
A few other modern inventions:

- spectacles in Italy
- the mechanical calculator by Pascal
- the automobile by Cugnot
- the aircraft by the Montgolfier bros
- the internal combustion engine by Niepce
- the electromagnetic generator by Faraday
- the modern automobile by Benz
- the transistor by the Bell team
- the modern computer by Zuse
>>
>>1497499
that's right, I forgot that they call it the SECOND WORLD WAR only because two countries fought in it
>>
>>1506534
Added except the computer, I can't really make sense of what should be considered the first modern computer. Is Turing completeness the most important factor?
>>
-399 : The Death of Socrates
>>
>>1496820
Kepler's New Astronomy was I believe the first book to express laws of reality through mathematical formulae and was one of the bases of Newton's work.
>>
>>1506671
lel, see >>1505761

Alright I think I'll add it.
>>
>>1506655
Isn't that only relevant through the works of Plato? Plato is included.
>>
>>1496820
Z3- the first working programmable, fully automatic digital computer is made.

D-Wave One- the first quantum computern
>>
>>1498423
>Actually for the Seven Years War, I had always heard it was a major step for Prussia but looking at it I can't tell how.

Three of the four great powers united to stop Prussia from becoming the fifth, and failed.
>>
>>1496820
Oldest gold 4560–4450 BC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varna_Necropolis

Also, you should add the bronze age collapse. Somwhere between 1200 and 1150 BC.
>>
>>1496820
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_historic_inventions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_chemistry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_scientific_discoveries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_cosmological_theories
Knock yourself out, OP.
>>
843 : Treaty of Verdun. End of the Frankish Empire. Begining of a millenia-long rivalry between France and Germany.
>>
>>1506716
Yeah already added the Z3, but don't you think quantum computing seems a bit premature? It's not even being used yet.

>>1506743
But nothing effectively changed. Aside from the colonial stuff between France and England, it was status quo ante bellum. All the Prussian territorial acquisitions under Frederick the Great happened during the War of Austrian Succession.

>>1506762
What exactly do you mean by oldest gold? Gold is an element and exists in nature.

>>1506910
Added.
>>
>>1507018
>What exactly do you mean by oldest gold?
I meant oldest works of goldsmithing/oldest man-made gold objects
>>
>>1507040
I don't really see how that's so significant though. It's just a kind of metal jewelry.

Oh and I'll add the Bronze Age collapse for now, but I still meant to find out more about it.
>>
>>1507018
Honestly, even though quantum computing is still in its very early development, I think its important to note the first proof of concept machine.
>>
>>1502617
You do not appear to be a man of your word.
>>
>>1507018
>it was status quo ante bellum

It's pretty similar to how the War of the Spanish Succession worked out for Louis XIV. The war had no victor and the French lost a lot of early battles, but the fact France didn't fall to the coalition is seen as a huge success.
>>
>>1506716
D-wave is a quantum annealer, which is a big achievement, but I think the first Universal quantum computer would be a much more noteworthy date for this list.
>>
>>1507077
>>1507094
Yeah, either way I don't think we should add anything if we don't see the effects of it yet. The mainstream consensus has historically often been very wrong about which inventions were significant and which weren't.

>>1507090
I see what you mean, it's more that it showed off Prussia's military power than that it changed it. But I'd say Prussia was already a great power before, just like France was already a dominant power before the War of Spanish Succession.
>>
911 treaty of Saint Clair sur Epte.

It created the duchy of Normandy which would go on to conquer England and parts of Italy, and it's the beginning of feudalism, the first time a lord was granted supremacy over a piece of land within a kingdom.
>>
>>1507885
There's also the capitulary of Quierzy though.
>>
>>1496820
1957: Launch of Sputnik?
>>
>>1508977
Already in there nigger
>>
>>1508977
disregard this. How about the An Lushan rebellion though? China loses direct control over the interior, the Tang dynasty is severely weakened, and the loss of between 4-12% of the world's population.
>>
it's funny how this timeline basically skips over most of the bronze age. i've actually written up a big timeline out of boredom at work. if i remember i'll email it to myself so i can add some stuff here tomorrow
>>
597 - Christianisation of England by St Augustine

Although these things are never completed immediately, obviously, what the Augustine mission began led to the emergence of England as a player in early medieval ecclesiastical politics. In particular, England would become a big hitter in the monastic world thanks to the scriptoria at Wearmouth-Jarrow and Lindisfarne.

Would also make a case for 731, publication of Bede's Ecclesiastical History, probably the first work in medieval Europe to display a visible 'historical method', and hence we see several seminal changes in historical writing, in particular the use of the Anno Domini dating system
>>
>>1509008
Lmao, literally every time something happens in China it kills like a billion people.
>>
>>1509017
Wait Roman Britain wasn't Christian?
>>
>>1496820
10,000 BC: construction of Gobekli Tepe, indicating that religion and social organization in some fashion came before agriculture

7000 BC: Old Europe begins as first Neolithic farming cultures spread to Greece from Anatolia in the Sesklo culture

4500 BC: Proto-Indo-Europeans begin their migrations east and west out of southern Russia

3500 BC: domestication of the horse

2900 BC: bronze metallurgy begins in China with the Majiayao culture

2200 BC: 4.2 kiloyear event, sudden aridification of the Fertile Crescent, destroys the Old Kingdom of Egypt and the Akkadian Empire, allowing for new powers like the Amorite kingdoms, Babylon, and Assyria to rise up

1572 AD: the supernova SN 1572, visible to the naked eye, challenges the Aristotelian view of the immutability of the heavens, forcing astronomers to confront the geocentric model
>>
>>1505606
Well, it probably marks the transition of the Ionian Coast from Luwian to Greek control, and the first wave of Greek settlement on Anatolia proper as opposed to islands.

There might be debate as to whether or not those settlements remained uninterrupted though, but continuity of worthship at Ephesus as well as similar pottery styles in Anatolia, Magna Graica and Greece until the 10th century indicate they did exist at the time of the 8/9th century colonization.

If we take ~1190 as the date, that means almost 3100 years of Greek settlement there, ending in the 1920s. It was the philosophical, mathematical, architectural, and literary capital of Greece for 300 pivotal years and re-introduced writing. Its occupation inspired the Persian Wars, the Peloponnesian War, and the conquests of Alexander the Great.

Ephesus, one of the sites in the region, was an important cult centre for Greeks for centuries (probably thousands of years older for others) and became on of the most important temples, if not the most important, in the Roman Empire during the 1st/2nd centuries as a result.
>>
>>1509029
Except the An Lushan rebellion happened in the 8th century, when the world population was smaller than the US population is now. And it killed potentially more than one tenth of the world. That's the equivalent of 800 million people today.
>>
>>1507885
Added.

>>1508957
Quierzy is interesting too though, will have to look more into it.

>>1508977
Already added.

>>1509017
I'm not sure, we haven't added any of the Christianisation movements in Western Europe so far, and it seems like they were all inevitable, since paganism was completely eliminated rather quickly. Although I'm not sure how true that is. But adding the Christianisation of each country would mean a lot of separate events that are all really part of the same thing.

>>1509130
>10,000 BC: construction of Gobekli Tepe, indicating that religion and social organization in some fashion came before agriculture
I think yes.

>7000 BC: Old Europe begins as first Neolithic farming cultures spread to Greece from Anatolia in the Sesklo culture
Well we already have the beginning of the Neolithic in the Near East, why the spread to Europe?

>4500 BC: Proto-Indo-Europeans begin their migrations east and west out of southern Russia
I agree with that.

>3500 BC: domestication of the horse
Already added.

>2900 BC: bronze metallurgy begins in China with the Majiayao culture
We have 4500 in Europe (modern day Serbia iirc)

>2200 BC: 4.2 kiloyear event, sudden aridification of the Fertile Crescent, destroys the Old Kingdom of Egypt and the Akkadian Empire, allowing for new powers like the Amorite kingdoms, Babylon, and Assyria to rise up
Interesting, will add.

>1572 AD: the supernova SN 1572, visible to the naked eye, challenges the Aristotelian view of the immutability of the heavens, forcing astronomers to confront the geocentric model
Did that really have a significant effect though? Copernicus already wrote his book some 30 years earlier.
>>
1856 - Alexander Parkes invents Parkesine and starts the plastic industry.
>>
>>1511625
Added.
>>
File: 1470381745172.png (146KB, 370x282px) Image search: [Google]
1470381745172.png
146KB, 370x282px
>>1496820
>mfw people actually believe those 7 things happened
>>
>>1511537
If you won't add the Trojan War, you should add the tentative date for when the Iliad and Odyssey were composed. Variously attributed to the 8th-6th centuries.

First pieces of European literature, integral to formation of the Hellenic identity, translation of the Odyssey was the first piece of Roman literature..
>>
>>1496820
I'm going to suggest some modern dates. They might seem less relevant, but bear with me here.

August 1st, 2003: MySpace is founded, which would greatly popularize the concept of Social Media and bring it into many people's everyday life.

Why this is relevant: Social media provides a creative and informative outlet where ANYONE can speak, not just those talented/well-connected/rich enough to be published. It acts not only as entertainment, and an archive of our lives, but as a first-hand news outlet.

The social media revolution would eventually give rise to Twitter, which has completely changed the game in journalism and news. We can now get reports from warzones straight from the people living there, in just minutes. This kind of quick information is a complete revolution in news delivery and has a huge impact on the ever-quickening phenomenon of globalization and cosmopolitanism brought about by the internet.

2007: Apple releases the iPhone.

Why this is relevant: The release of the iPhone meant the widespread adoption of a portable, pocket-sized device that could properly access the internet. This meant a new renaissance - or eternal september, depending who you ask - of the internet, and a greatly invigorated internet economy surpassing even that of the pre-dotcom crash internet.

It also meant that people were now carrying cameras with them everywhere. Cameraphones did exist before the iPhone, but with the iPhone came the "smartphone" revolution, and ever since that phenomenon, phones having high-quality still and video cameras has just become an expectation. When was the last time you heard someone call a phone with a camera a "camera phone", after all? They just call them "phones" now.
>>
>>1512577
Now, think about it. When you put these two things together, it's clear that they've caused a massive change in society. Humanity, for the first time in history, is completely connected.

A person in Russia can videotape something, and have it viewed by millions in Brazil, America, Japan, etc. in minutes. Just look at the Olympic doping scandal - if that happened years ago, the video taken by the whistleblower might never have been shared, and it could've been suppressed by Russia.

And that's just an extremely recent example. It's fair to say that the Arab Spring might not have happened at all, or at the very least would've been drastically different, if social media did not exist. Conversely, ISIS uses social media as a recruiting tool, and so-called "homegrown" terrorists in the US and Europe have colluded with ISIS over the internet and have been recruited through social media - if that's not relevant to our society I don't know what is.

Finally, consider this: I'm writing this to you on a social media platform right now. Internet message boards in general have had a great effect on our culture, so they deserve at least some mention, even if not for all the reasons I've listed. Popularization of the smartphone I think goes without saying.
>>
File: erdogan on facetime.png (178KB, 565x309px) Image search: [Google]
erdogan on facetime.png
178KB, 565x309px
>>1512591
If you still doubt smartphones and social media are important to our society, take a look. This is the president of a great power and NATO member addressing his citizens about a military coup that's underway, on a social platform streaming through a smartphone.
>>
First signs of art and drawing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvet_Cave
>>
>>1512288
I think I'll add the Trojan War, I just haven't had time to look into it properly yet. The Iliad and Odyssey deserve mention too, although for that the date is much more vague, and I'll have to figure out a new colour (same as for cave paintings below).

>>1512577
>>1512591
>>1512598
I think you're right. But the dates you picked seem a bit arbitrary. MySpace was far from the first social network, there was Friendster before, and in fact they've been around since the times of Usenet. That's basically what Usenet was in fact. And as you say yourself we're on a social media platform right now, but imageboards are really nothing but internet forums, which have been around much longer than MySpace. Similar for the iphone, there was the Blackberry before, and the first smartphones already in the 90s. Which really are just stages in the miniaturisation of personal computers.

We already have the Internet and the World Wide Web included. Didn't those already start the social media revolution, which just took a while to build up? Technologically everything required was there, what really changed is popularity, but that was a gradual process. There's the transition to Web 2.0, where users go from being primarily content consumers to being content creators, but that too is kind of hard to pinpoint.

>>1513521
From looking it up, the earliest known cave painting is supposedly at Maros in Indonesia, which has -38k cave art (hand prints) and -33.4k figurative art (a deer-pig). Chauvet art is dated at about -33k. So I guess we have about a -33k date for figurative art, but I don't know if we can mention Chauvet by name since there are others from the same time. Even though I'd like to, since Chauvet is far more beautiful than Maros.
>>
>>1496820

The date of 486, the Battle of Soissons for the end of the Roman Empire doesn't really work. Read Edward James' 'The Franks', whose theory has been long accepted. The 'Domain of Soissons' is a modern creation unlikely to have existed in anything like the form imagined prior to the 1980s.

Syagrius represents a local Gallo-Roman potentate, but not the last representative of the western imperial government. We know of other similar men in northern Gaul at the same time, the Comes Arbogast at Trier, and the Comes Paulus. All fought with and against barbarians, and with one another.

If you HAVE to give the WESTERN Roman empire a single date to have falled, it should be 480 with the assassination of the last ACTIVE imperial claimant in the West, Julius Nepos.
>>
>>1514196
But thinking in terms of de facto control rather than symbolic legitimacy, wasn't Neustria the last part of Western Rome to fall under barbarian control?
>>
>>1514356

No. We know of Roman 'tyranni' - i.e. men who claimed the imperial purple, in the Ebro Valley in the 6th century. Indeed, if you just want the last part of the western Roman empire, ruled by the Romano-natives, then you must look to Wales, falling only to 'barbarians' in the 13th century.

As I say, the scholarly weight of opinion, and indeed the weight of evidence is against a 'Domain' or 'Kingdom' of Soissons having ever existed. It is a very difficult thing to pin the end of 'de facto' Roman control to. Indeed, de facto rather than de jure control is extremely difficult to pin down in most parts of the western empire.
>>
>>1514441
Alright so I suppose 480 would be a better date for the fall of Rome, but then what would be a good date for the foundation of Francia? Isn't that still the battle of Soissons?
>>
>>1514479
>>1514479
Again, no, it wouldn't be. The creation of 'Francia' depends upon what specifically in the process you are talking about? The establishment of a Frankish state? If so, belonging only to the Merovingians or do other Frankish states count? Do you consider the formation complete only when the entire former Roman Galliae were under Frankish control, or what?

I need more to go on to give you a date. This is a huge problem inherent to timelines like this.
>>
hey annon you should do one of these for early/primary sources.
>>
>>1496820
>1918 flu pandemic
It was, together with the Black Death, one of the most deadliest disasters in human history, killing up to 50 million people or around 3%-5% of the world population at that time.
>>
>>1514961
Death tolls don't change the world.
>>
>>1497684
October 24th, 1860- The Second Opium War ends, China is compelled to open her ports up to foreign trade, destroying the image of China as a world power and is part of what the Chinese people would consider the Century of Humiliation

The wording could use some fixing, but when China lost the Opium Wars it severely influenced the path of China in history, It would be folly not to include it.
>>
May 1937: Barcelona May Day fighting effectively collapses the Republican coalition, leading to Franco's establishment as the longest-running fascist dictator. The fighting also demonstrates Leftist resentment towards the Soviet Union and is the most significant, definitive struggle between Anarchists and Communists.
>>
1867: the invention of dynamite by Alfred Nobel. Controlled explosives meant a huge improvement in tunneling, mining, construction and industry in general as well as a whole new level of deadly warfare.
>>
>>1518089
But black powder and nitroglycerin already did exactly the same thing. Dynamite didn't really improve tunneling, mining, or construction, it just made them a bit safer. It also wasn't used much in warfare and definitely didn't bring it to a new level.
>>
>>1518113
Yes but my idea was that the invention of dynamite was the beginning of highly controllable explosives. You could argue that dynamite is the foundation for later inventions such as TNT, which was used extensively in artillery shells and so on. But I see your point. Perhaps gunpowder is a more appropriate addition to the list.
>>
>>1496820
A lot of those Neolithic events are very debatable
>>
Added:

- first cave art
- fall of Troy
- Iliad and Odyssey
- invention of gunpowder
- changed 486 to 480 for the fall of Rome

>>1514850
What do you mean?

>>1514961
Like the other poster said, it's not necessarily world changing just because a lot of people died.

>>1516938
We already have the Treaty of Nanking, which was the first and therefore I think the most important blow to China.

>>1517042
I'm not sure, but from what I can tell it didn't have that much impact outside Spain.

>>1518089
>>1518113
>>1518209
I added gunpowder. Although I'm not sure what's more significant really, its invention or its arrival in Europe, since Europeans are the ones who made the most use of it.

>>1518390
You mean the dating?
>>
>>1520244
Oh yeah and I also changed the colouring since we have art and literature dates now. Opinions welcome as always.
>>
The invention of the modern seed drill by Jethro Tull in 1701. It revolutionized agriculture. Other relatively underrated technologies include the stirrup, saddle, and wheelbarrow
>>
>>1520244
I just thought something from the Spanish Civil War should be there, because Spain was unapologetically fascist until the 1970's, and somehow nobody bombed the shit out of them. I also know that the fighting during the May Days was the last direct confrontation between the Third International and its dissenters. The countries that did not directly participate in it actually ended up being affected because they chose to stay out; it really divided politics in the West. And, of course, the Spanish Civil War was a testing ground for the weapons to be used in World War II.
>>
File: Will em.png (69KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Will em.png
69KB, 225x225px
>>1496820
The Dutch revolt 1568-1648, jesus fuck
Including
>the Act of Abjuration, 26 July 1581, declaring that Phillip was no longer monarch over the Low Countries because he was unfair to his subjects (this is important because modern democracy happened once they gave up trying to find a substitute monarch)
>William the Silent shot to death with pistols, 10 July 1584 the first head of state assassinated by firearm
>>
18th of January, 1788 first fleet arrives at botany bay, begining the european colonisation of Australia
>>
>>1496820
>>1520244
Description for Actium should include 'End of the Helllenistic Period', or something along those lines, since Ptolemaic Egypt was the last of the Hellenistic successor kingdoms.
>>
Should have something for Pasteur and modern medicine. There's the invention of the vaccine, and also proving the germ theory of disease.
Thread posts: 230
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.