[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Change of the human body over time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: asdasdsads.jpg (14KB, 283x288px) Image search: [Google]
asdasdsads.jpg
14KB, 283x288px
I'd like to discuss the physiology of humans. I don't know much about it and it is a very intersting topic. How did it change over time?
All I know is that height changed a lot over the years and people in the early middle ages were a lot smaller for example. But what about other stuff?
Todays humans are lazy and spend most of their days sitting and eating, so one could think that someone (lets stick to our example of early middle ages western europe)
back then was a lot "fitter" (both in actual physical capabilites and also visually). On the other hand, malnutrition and generally worse nutrition were the rule
(or am I wrong here?) and in order to be a ripped cunt you need good nutrition, so maybe the opposite is true and what they considered a huge and massive warrior would today
be your average gym-goer? What about other things like immune system? Again, was is better because people were outside and exposed to nature or was it worse due to nutrition?
Would your average peasant in scandinavia catch a cold as fast as I do today when I don't close the zipper of my jacket in a cold night?
What about aging? Would someone that survived childhood and became an old man be healther than todays elderly or a near-deaf, near blind, toothless guy?
What about hair? Did as many people go bald as today? Were people more or less hairy compared to today? What about bone density or wound healing?
These are just some aspects, but I'm really interested in everything related to the topic.
To sum it up: How would the body of an average medieval peasant be different from an average western european person today?
>>
Bumpo, sounds interesting.

Dont know why, but in my head old time soldiers were short but thick+strong as fuck. Just imagine pitbulls
>>
>>1496346
Certainly shorter, most likely underfed, depending on the kind of work he did he might have spinal problems, arthritis and who knows what else
>>
>>1496346
>back then was a lot "fitter" (both in actual physical capabilites and also visually)

Physically, on average, they were. Visually? Lots of people were skinny as fuck.

>what they considered a huge and massive warrior would today
be your average gym-goer?

You are taking all civilizations into account. It highly depends. The average person that hits the gym nowadays has no knowledge of what (s)he is doing and is just doing repetitive movements for some muscle growth. Technique, which humans nowadays highly lack, was (and still is) crucial in combat.

>What about other things like immune system?

Our immune system hasn't changed greatly in just a couple thousands of years. People were way more likely to die in the past, obviously.

>Would someone that survived childhood and became an old man be healther than todays elderly or a near-deaf, near blind, toothless guy?

We do anything to keep people of old age alive. Human beings couldn't deliver such a high level of medical care in the past, so people were likely to die when a mild virus hit.

>What about hair?
>Did as many people go bald as today?
>Were people more or less hairy compared to today?
>What about bone density or wound healing?

Do you really think the human body changed that much in a couple of thousand years due to evolution? These changes are very slow.

>How would the body of an average medieval peasant be different from an average western european person today?

Peasants were left untreated, so injuries, infections and any other ailment would both build and stack up.
>>
>>1497378
>Do you really think the human body changed that much in a couple of thousand years due to evolution? These changes are very slow.
Read 10,000 year explosion
>>
Over millions of years of evolution did this.

However we can simply replicate this effect by doing selective breeding. This is how we were able to tame dogs pretty fast. This is how some russian scientists was able to tame wild fox within his lifetime.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Domesticated_Red_Fox
>>
>>1497394

It says we must have changed a lot, but has only a few specific examples.

And are there any environments that select for lower intelligence? Tasmania?
>>
I prefer the female body just as it has entered fertility
>>
>>1497378
I think OP is also referring to changed allele expression due to environment. I imagine a child in Ancient Greece would develop a different immune system than someone born in NY city. Lack of food probably also caused significant differences as well for similar reasons.

But yes OP people were pretty cardiovascularly fit but not very big. A guy with a 4 month workout routine would probably be considered pretty ripped.
>>
>>1497432
I suppose.

But the ability to ingest milk and its products is a pretty big change
>>
>>1497378
>Physically, on average, they were. Actually I wouldn't be too sure about that, at all. Malnutrition does a lot of damage
>Technique, which humans nowadays highly lack, was (and still is) crucial in combat.
People who do martial arts have fine technique. your average Gym goer would obviously not be great warriors but some BJJ fag might be
>Our immune system hasn't changed greatly in just a couple thousands of years.
It did because of the pressure pathogens have put on us. This is probably the quickest thing to change in any animal. It's fundamentally the same but it's adapted to deal with things like Black Death and shit
>These changes are very slow.
Evolution tends to happen in "leaps" though our appearance is roughly the same obviously
>>
>>1497378
>Do you really think the human body changed that much in a couple of thousand years due to evolution? These changes are very slow.
yes
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.