[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree on the fact that, despite getting completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

Can we all agree on the fact that, despite getting completely BTFO due to war and disease, the Mesoamericans, specifically the Aztec and Mayans, had some of the most interesting civilizations of the ancient world?
>>
File: Montezuma II palace.jpg (145KB, 960x626px) Image search: [Google]
Montezuma II palace.jpg
145KB, 960x626px
>You'll never see how trials were resolved in the Aztec imperial court

just end this suffering
>>
Yes.

Tenochtitlan sounds like something out of a fantasy novel, even compared to cities we have today. The fact it got destroyed and the modern day shithole mexico city is LITERALLY just built on top of the remains ranks up there with the burning of the library of Alexandria as one of the biggest historical losses in human history if you ask me.

Also, OP, most of the reason they lost to the spainjish was existing socio-political conditions of the region, Montezuma II's poor decision making, diseases, and dumb luck on the Spainish's part for having Malinche.
>>
File: stonehenge-circle-pink-sky.jpg (124KB, 1440x612px) Image search: [Google]
stonehenge-circle-pink-sky.jpg
124KB, 1440x612px
>>1471704
>Can we all agree on the fact that, despite getting completely BTFO due to war and disease, the Mesoamericans, specifically the Aztec and Mayans, had some of the most interesting civilizations of the ancient world?

No. I would say cultures who created things that even today we have no idea how they did it.
>>
File: sin-marco.jpg (2MB, 2230x1492px) Image search: [Google]
sin-marco.jpg
2MB, 2230x1492px
>>1471932
Also, one last thing before I go to bed since I haven't slept in like 48 hours:

The aztecs are not ancient by any stretch of the word. The Mexica founded Tenochtitlan in the 1300's. The Triple alliance that formed the Aztec empire proper was formed in the 1400's.

Anyways, I'll go into more detail about the "they only lost because of X, Y, and Z" stuff tomorrow when I wake up since i'm sure some /pol/tards are gonna come and shitpost about it. .
>>
>>1471932
apart from the causeways and high population I don't think it was really exceptional, jesuits burning their records though is unforgiveable
>>
>>1471942
post it now i'm honestly interested in this
>>
File: 1429482485467.png (14KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1429482485467.png
14KB, 203x209px
>>1471937
>lifting a few big stones is somehow more impressive then building a city on a lake that was larger then anything in europe, and was one of the top 3 biggest cities in the world period at the time despite the fact the aztecs barely had any metalworking
>>
>>1471957
fine

the tl;dr is that the spainish lucked out by finding a native girl that could translate from nahuatl to maya and a european who got shipwreaked in the region who spoke spainish and learned maya, which allowed them to translate. if not for that, they wouldn't have even made it inland

Then, Montezuma was being a fucking retard on mutliple occasions, firstly by pissing off cortes by sending out a party to assassinate him in choula when by that point he hadn't even decided to conquer anything yet, then by inviting him into the city to chill with him for a few weeks/months, giving him access to see all the shit he could plunder, and then by pissing him off AGAIN by not complying with his demands as far as taking down idols at the temple, which finally was the last straw at which point cortes said fuck it, and decided to hold montezuma captive. Otherwise, he probably would have just made the aztecs a vassal state and left it at that.

So, while montezuma was held captive, cortes had to bail and go deal with a second spainish force who landed back at the coast who was under orders to capture cortes. While cortes was gone, the men he left in Tenochtitlan to keep things under order decided to just massacre a bunch of nobles, which pissed the citiziens off for obvious reasons

1/2
>>
>>1471960
>>lifting a few big stones
Before literally all technology, before the wheel. Before pullies.

Building a big city in the middle of a river or something isn't great. It simply means we do not fully understand them - which is ALSO the case for Stonehenge.

Understanding how they made Stonehenge will literally change the way we see history as they had something which we still do not know much ealier than first thought.

I mean sure it's simply "lifting stones" in a time where lifting huge stones was thought to be impossible.

At least Alexandria was built almost 2000 years before the Aztec city.
>>
>>1471983
>>1471957

by the time cortes got back, all hell had broken lose, and the aztecs pushed the spainish out of the city and send them retreating back towards tlaxcalan territory (a neighboring confederfacy of city states who hated the aztecs).

So, over the next year or so, cortes and his men chilled in tlaxcala and started to build an army of tlaxcalans and other nations who hated the aztecs, all the while the aztecs themsleves were getting boned by smallpox and famine

Eventually, the spainish restormed tenochtitlan with an army of 200,000 native toops, by which point the aztecs were basically already done in by the aformentiooned dieases and famine

As you can see by that series of events, the Spainish only got as far as they did by lucking out with Malinche (the native women who could translate), montezuma being a retard and pissing cortes off, and then the fact they could exploit the tlaxcalans and other nations since the aztecs were hated in the region. Without the tlaxalans, the spainish couldn';t face the aztecs just due to the fact that the aztecs had a extreme numerical advantage and logistics, and the Aztecs DID win up untill they got boned by smallpox and they were facing an equally large army

2/2

that's the most concise summary I can give
>>
>>1471994
>At least Alexandria was built almost 2000 years before the Aztec city.

That's true, but Tenochtitlan was substantially larger (pretty much the only other city in the world that matched it was Constantinople) and unlike many other cities which had hundreds if not thousands of years to expand, Tenochtitlan was only 200 years old by the time the spainish got there.

Also, again, the Aztecs had basically no metalworking to aide them in the construction, and they didn't have any sort of pack animals to assist either: everything the aztecs transported had to be done ona person's back: They had invented wheels, but they never actually used them for anything beyond stuff like toys since they had no horses or oxen or asses to utlize with them.

Anyways, I don't wanna get into a historical dick waving contest over which was more impressive, suffice to say both were impressive feats.
>>
>>1471704
Inca were objectively the greatest native civilization of the americas
>>
>>1472015
Incan architecture isn't as cool as mesoamerican architecture though
>>
>>1471704
Yea, they're pretty cool

>>1471937
being a euroaboo myself, you don't have to always compare civilizations
>>
>>1471960
It was likely not just a bunch of rocks when it was built.

Time decays.
>>
File: dsc09202.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
dsc09202.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
the ruins of Chan Chan in Peru are pretty impressive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Chan

I think Mesoamerican civilizations were more impressive, because they could write, and everything that comes from that, but I would have prefered to live in one of the civilizations of Ecuador/Peru/Bolivia since unlike mesoamericans they werent extremely evil psycopaths.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.