[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Native American Cavalry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

What do we know about the tactics or effectiveness of Native American cavalry of the great plains such as the Comanche? Specifically before their adoption of firearms, but also after.

Do we have any accounts of how well they used their "war lances" in battle and what tactics they used? Did they charge each other head on? Flank and try to break up enemy formations like European cavalry? Did they just harass and skirmish with their lances? Did they use horse archers?

After their adoption of firearms, how did they utilize them in war? Did they favor rifles or pistols? How effective were they with repeating rifles on horseback? Specifically against other tribes, but also against the US Army or armed settlers.
>>
>>1467667
did they have access to horses before they had direct contact with europeans in order to get firearms?
>>
>>1467693
No. But they didn't adopt firearms in mass for their cavalry right away. I think many tribes like the Comanche preferred the war lance, bow and tomahawks/clubs on horseback before the invention of the repeating rifle or revolver.
>>
>>1467707
True, they'd be more used to using weapons that aren't firearms. Also I'm not sure if Europeans would sell them guns in mass in the beginning. I haven't done any research on this but at least it would seem like you'd rather sell them horses first instead of weapons. Do you think Europeans would withhold selling them guns so that they'd have the upper hand in battle?
>>
>>1467693
Horse came before European settlers. It was through the breaking of mustangs that their traditions began.
>>
>>1467741
Pretty sure horses didn't exist in north America before Europeans brought them over.
>>
>>1467749
I never said that I said in response to >>1467693 before European settlers made contact with them they had already adopted the horse and radically changed from riverian farmers to mostly nomadic befalling herders.

But if I wanted to be an as I could say before Europeans arrived the horse was in fact in north America, we just ate them all
>>
>>1467724
>Do you think Europeans would withhold selling them guns so that they'd have the upper hand in battle?
I'm not sure about in general, but Lewis and Clark were unwilling to give firearms to the tribes they visited for this reason, but this also has to do with their limited manpower compared to the tribes and their limited supply of firearms and ammo. the blackfoot tribe recieved a lot of firearms from the british which allowed them to dominate the surrounding tribes
>>
>>1467693
I doubt that early Spanish muskets would have been much use for Native American style horseback combat. It's difficult to load and fire a flintlock let alone a wheel or matchlock as used by the early conquistadors. But this is all speculation, so I could be wrong
>>
>>1467667
Counting coup or kaa was a major component of Native American military ethos. Touching your opponent with a special stick or your bare hand in battle was a great honour.

Cantabrian circles and the like were employed, bison were stampeded off "the buffalo jump" cliffs or into corrals "the buffalo pound" where they were easily picked off. Lances, clubs, tomahawks, spears and bows were all employed depending on tribal custom and personal preference.
>>
>>1467843
Interesting, thank you.
>>
not tactics but this is pretty awsome tame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpRObL7Ns84
>>
Is it true Native Americans are descended from Turkic people?
>>
>>1467724
they didn't buy those horses, they learned the concept of riding by watching (literally just watching, they weren't taught by anyone) europeans doing it and begun to tame the feral mustangs all by themselves.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.