[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is having a Buddha statue in your home idolatry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
Is having a Buddha statue in your home idolatry?
>>
If you worship it, yes.
>>
In a Western home is signals, um, certain information to me.
>>
Is idiocy.
>>
>>1464949
>um
>>
>>1464934
Does the Abrahamic God have a massive ego problem going around telling his followers not to make images of him?
>>
>>1464949
Like the presence of a Buddha statue?
>>
>>1464955
>om
>>
File: Ranking of civilisations.png (225KB, 1072x1036px) Image search: [Google]
Ranking of civilisations.png
225KB, 1072x1036px
>>1464934
The reason the 'Gupta Empire' is mid tier in this chart (the official /his/ chart, btw) is because, despite its' relative obscurity, modern India (the worlds second most populous and soon to be most populous state) is in the direct line of consequence in it, and it also helped the exportability of Buddhism, which is why you're writing this thread
>>
>>1464960
That most certainly. But also that they are what we call in Dutch "zweverig" and more.
>>
>>1464934
no. most people try to manifest metta, karuna and so on while they bow.
>>
>>1464972
Nice meme list
>>
>>1464972
this; emotions matter to hedonists who think hedonism is a good life style.
But of course, most people love hedonism far too much to stop being scared of leaving hedonism. Most people are not meant to be something else than hedonist. In fact, the whole humanity is here because people love to cling to what they feel and think and refuse to do something else with their life.

for people saying that hedonism is relevant,
>life=what you feel+what you think+what you expect from your desires from what you feel and think
therefore,
>grade your desires
and
>non acting on your favorite desires = non life = death

hedonism is not an effective doctrine to be happy. Hedonists believe that you literally die if you ''do not think nor do feel''. They have faith that 'no moving' is death.

of course, doing the opposite brings you a better life:
>perpetual evanescence and lack of control of what you think and feel, therefore cannot be taken seriously (to be happy) => stay still towards what you think and feel.

Once you try to reach stillness, you are more equanimous and benevolent.
>>
>>1464972
fuck you and your chart you nerd
>>
>>1464969
ayyyy
>>
>>1464972
>United States of America
>God Tier

explain this
>>
>>1465055

You know what Americans are like, they just can't help themselves. It's the extreme levels of brainwashing they receive.
>>
>>1465059
I made the chart, I'm not even American.

I feel /his/ hates the U.S just because of its' contemporary international involvement and because its' contrarian.

The United States is by a long shot the most important and relevant state of the 20th century, and will be one of the most important and relevant ones in this one, as well. In the the 19th century, Europe produced the most 'culture' in literature and the arts, eclipsed entirely in the 20th century by the U.S. The world watches American movies and T.V shows, America watches little of the rest of the worlds'. In the same fashion as the other God and High tier civilisations, America is comprised of the worlds' brightest and attracts the worlds' brightest. This will not last for much longer, though
>>
Seems very counterproductive to Zen.
>>
File: 出なさい.gif (1KB, 150x25px) Image search: [Google]
出なさい.gif
1KB, 150x25px
>>1464972
>Tokugawa Khanate
>>
>>1465073
>>1463098
>>1463098
>>1463098
>>
>>1465073

I don't hate the USA. Comparing it with the Roman Empire is more than a tad pretentious though.

It's not like it's a binary choice between hating the USA and pretending it's the equivalent of the greatest empires in history.
>>
>>1465083
I don't get it
>>
File: Martel doubts.jpg (93KB, 424x421px) Image search: [Google]
Martel doubts.jpg
93KB, 424x421px
>>1464972
>Mughal Empire
>Responsible for lasting Islam in the Indian subcontinent
>Built India's most famous and by far opulent architecture. (Taj Mahal, Red Fort, etc.)
>Founded by an Afghani bandit, lost, and then regained again.
>Revolutionized Indian art
>Kept close and meticulous records of everything at court.
>Akbar the madman
>Encouraged religious debate and discussion
>IN AN ISLAMIC EMPIRE
>Founded Din-i-Ilahi, the best synthesis of religions in the area, including Christianity and Zoroastrianism
>Most remarkably tolerant Islamic Empire. (until Aurangzeb)
>Low tier.
>Old Kingdom > New Kingdom
>Venetians > Byzantines
This is /his/ approved? I did not approve of this, what the shit is this?
>>
>>1465110
The Tokugawa Shogunate was a feudal empire with the Shogun on top as the military leader (hence, having all the power) and the Emperor as the spiritual one, it was by no means a "Khanate" in any sense of the word, other than some weird connections in grammar between Japanese and Turkish, there is nothing to suggest connection between the Japanese and Asian steppe nomads.
>>
File: Ranking of historical states.png (233KB, 1072x1130px) Image search: [Google]
Ranking of historical states.png
233KB, 1072x1130px
>>1465083
fixed
>>
Does Buddhism have any place in the West? It seems to me like it doesn't belong.
>>
>>1465395

Why not?

We have freedom of religion and if you are into spirituality it seems to offer a perfectly reasonable choice.
>>
>>1465395
Truth doesn't have any flavour and as long people benefit from it's teachings, it's not a problem at all.

It's not like it promotes violent insurrection or stuff like that.
>>
>>1465466
buddhists give me gas
>>
>>1465493

If you want to purchase legal highs from them that is your choice.
>>
If you insist on being a Buddhist, at least don't be the prottie version of Buddhist.
>>
>>1465466
I'm not allowed any religious statues or displays on my property nor are my neighbors allowed either. I have like two aethists in neighborhood and they complain hella hard to the Homeowners Association.

(I live in the US; freedom is a lie)
>>
binmp
>>
>>1464972
>Byzantines
>Mid tier
Put it in low tier and move Venetian to shit tier
>>
>>1464934
>Is having a Buddha statue in your home idolatry?

Buddha isn't a god, so no.
>>
>>1467823
I vaguely remember seeing documentaries where Buddhists pray to a Buddha statue, hoping to learn his wisdom.

Can anyone confirm this?
>>
>>1467823

IDOLATRY DOES NOT CONSIST IN HAVING STATUES OF DEITIES, BUT IN WORSHIPING AN IMAGE, REGARDLESS OF WHAT, OR WHOM, THAT IMAGE DEPICTS.

IDOLATRY IS A PRACTICE, NOT A POSSESSION.
>>
>>1467902
Of course Buddhists praise and venerate the Buddha, as well as the Sangha (the Church) and the Dhamma (the Teaching). Most Pali chants are about the Triple Gem (Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha) in which Buddhists take refuge.

A common chant in Thailand and other Theravada countries, spoken between prostrations:
Buddhaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi.
"I take refuge in the Buddha"
Dhammaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi.
"I take refuge in the Dhamma"
Saṅghaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi.
"I take refuge in the Sangha"

Remember, even the traditional schools of Buddhism are still religions. Kamma, rebirth, supernatural beings, hells, heavens, are all central concepts to the teaching.

As for praying to a Buddha figure in order to gain wisdom, that is in fact a heretical view. But the veneration of Buddha figures is commonplace, as well as the relics of the Buddha and his followers.
>>
>>1467902

Buddha was quite clear on this point, he was not a god and did not seek to be worshiped as one. In fact classical Buddhism is an atheistic religion.
>>
I have two, one Vietnamese, one Japanese, brought back by my great grandfather. They're neat, made in stone with metal covering it. I also have a reproduction of a Bactrian Buddha's head, Japanese kabuki masks, a few African statues/masks, and reproductions of Egyptian statues.

My African Evangelical housekeeper signs herself everytime before cleaning them, and told me a few times they are the work of the Devil. I have orthodox icons too, but I don't think she like those either.
>>
>>1466404
What does that mean?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.