[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rome was a mistake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: img-13.jpg (82KB, 610x496px) Image search: [Google]
img-13.jpg
82KB, 610x496px
Discuss.
>>
File: lowqualbait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
lowqualbait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>1461663
>>
>stole the wealth of europe and near east to fuel their orgies.
>destroyed Carthage
>is praised to high heaven by sycophants, catholics, and fascists

Yeah fuck rome.
>>
>>1461673
>>1461663
You could have waited at least 5min before posting again.
>>
The Roman Empire certainly was.

The Republic was pretty good.
>>
>>1461663
Found the barbarian.
>>
>>1461673
>everyone claims they're Roman as if it's some great thing
>grossly misreading the situation where they were one of the 90% of the European population Rome raped, murdered, enslaved, genocided despite enormous efforts of 'barbarians' to fight them back
>traitors and nothing but thieves
>dishonorable
>indoctrinated bloodthirsty bunch led by rich elites in the hub of ignorance that was the city itself
>genuinely corrupting the souls and minds of natives of Europe
>>
>>1461719
You mean one of the 90% of the European population Rome civilized.

>muh honur

Nobody ever won a war with honor. Honor is for retarded barbarians with sticks in the woods. I'll take 'dishonorable' civilization with engineering, writing, and order over 'honorable' savagery any day.
>>
>>1461712
It's basically the same thing, Republic wasn't good since they had their eyes on Hispania or some times around that period. It was also very much corrupted, especially at the end. Culture of murder and violence.
The more you read about Rome, the more you realize it was ran like a coorporation with guys like Augustus being the best CEOs in history, the shift to the Empire was merely a matter of tightening the grip on the world, army and resource management. It was also propaganda.
>>1461739
Rome wasn't the first nor the last civilization with such achievements. Not even Greeks or Phoenicians were that corrupted. I bet even Babylon was more civilized.
>>
Christian Rome certainly was
>>
>>1461673
Fuck off baby burner
>>
>>1461750
>Rome wasn't the first nor the last civilization with such achievements

it was the only one who endured and expanded said achievements and truly changed an entire continent and it's peoples' permanently.

you can slam Rome all you want, but the people of Europe wanted to be Roman and wanted to be Rome while it was alive, as it was dying and for centuries afterwards to this very day.

if Rome was so despised, why would anyone covet their identity and title? what did Rome meant to them if not glory, civilization and progress?
>>
>>1461739
>'honorable' savagery
What a meme. Barbarians are invariably every little bit as dishonorable as civilized folks. Every single tribe Rome defeated was full of dishonorable shits. Hell half of Rome's wars were started through overthrown monarchs looking for Rome's help getting back the throne treacherous relatives had stolen.
Or just think of how many antiroman leaders were struck down by their own people not unlike Caesar in the senate: Arminius, Viriatus, Caratacus, etc.
Honour my arse.
>>
>>1461663
Even in historical discussion i must be a contrarian.
t. /his/
>>
>>1461969
That's why honorable is in quotation marks.
>>
File: img7.jpg (59KB, 390x372px) Image search: [Google]
img7.jpg
59KB, 390x372px
>>1461663
Rome was nothing but a stepping stone.

Minoan Crete
Mycenae Greek
Roman Italy
Franc Franks?
Holy Germanic
Pan-Angloism

All hail the viking.
>>
File: through the ashes of empire.jpg (3MB, 1616x5344px) Image search: [Google]
through the ashes of empire.jpg
3MB, 1616x5344px
>>1462037
Babylons Sumeria etc
>>
>>1461663
What do people mean when they call historical entities Mistakes? Are you asking if they happened accidentally? That's asking whether the reader follows determinism or not, not whether a historical entity was good or bad.
>>
File: w9afxx.png (319KB, 1023x929px) Image search: [Google]
w9afxx.png
319KB, 1023x929px
>tfw no modern day super state to govern the barbarians
>>
File: 1464132780180.jpg (141KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1464132780180.jpg
141KB, 630x1200px
>>1462309

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_teaZ0xA_4

you can't bring back the dead
you can't rebuild the marvels
but you can remember
>>
>>1461663
Rome was the greatest force for human progress up to that time in history.

Han China at the same time.
They actually were aware of the others existence, via trade routes.
>>
>>1461663
I came here for the picture.
>>
>>1462290

They're most likely fanboys of whatever podunk little culture that went nowhere until Romans swept them in, and rue that fact as if the true potential of said people had been denied.

If they are celtaboos they are also most likely Luddite new age asswipes that think civilization was a mistake because they are totally 1/120 Germanic and the true white man was meant to squat in huts and worship groves.
>>
File: Imper.jpg (153KB, 500x715px) Image search: [Google]
Imper.jpg
153KB, 500x715px
>>1462309
>implying that map is accurate
>>
I really wish this retarded "xyz was a mistake" meme would go away
>>
File: Ranking of historical states.png (233KB, 1072x1130px) Image search: [Google]
Ranking of historical states.png
233KB, 1072x1130px
>>1463378
This
>>
>>1465247
next you'll want educated and well-reasoned posts
>>
>>1465254

Inca should be in top tier

They did everything right for a growing civilization, they made roads, merit-based politics, irrigation and fresh water transport, and stone works to last forever. 500 more years and they would have been America's Rome.
>>
>>1465361
That's easy to say. A lot of civilisations had great starts like that and Inca did have a commendable bureaucracy, but the question of whether it'd stably last for 500 years is difficult to say. The fact that Huayna Capac's death through the country into a civil war alone is a testament to the fact evolving into something like the 'America's Rome' is a big of a longshot at that point
>>
>>1465254
>Athens in God tier
>U.S in God tier
>Byzantium not in Top tier
>>
>>1465385

Well, there is also the fact that they conquered many peoples from different geographical locations and incorporated them relatively peacefully, practiced syncretism while developing land and thriving from trade. If anything they would have been Phoenician-level.

Compared to the savages up north, Incas were a functional, promising society.
>>
>>1461663
No Augustus taking power and making Rome into and army was a mistake.
>>
>>1465891
>into and army
fugg man I meant Rome into and empire wtf lol.
>>
File: titus get the cross.jpg (8KB, 200x297px) Image search: [Google]
titus get the cross.jpg
8KB, 200x297px
>>1461719
>>
File: pb.jpg (68KB, 645x444px) Image search: [Google]
pb.jpg
68KB, 645x444px
wtf i hate romans now
>>
>>1465238

>Holding Ireland, Germania past jutland, crimea, access to the caspian sea, the persian gulf, africa all the way to it's horn and a chunk of arabia with it

Where did you get that idea

Those are great theoretical borders though, they all reach some form of geographical barrier that makes them easier to defend.
>>
>>1461719
Gee thanks Marx for your nuanced and mature analysis of history!
>>
>>1461673
>implying there is anything wrong with destroying a baby-burning satanic shithole
>>
>>1461719
You're the traitor barbarian scum
ROMANA INVICTVS
>>
>>1461712
Augustus made a fundemental bad move that when looked at broadly, birthed Nero and Caligula. He could have made reforms for a more stable senate, and a better republic. If varus didn't fuck his shit up in magna germania he could have marched his shit up there during a season other than fucking winter, and used organized and fresh men to occupy germania, and then seal romes borders down the whole of germania, down norica and cisalpina, and with stable eastern borders they could have gotten through England and controlled all of these territories without having powerhungry senators becoming powerhungry emperors.
Tl;dr Augustus should have gotten the republic back together and varus should have given back the legions
>>
>>1461712
I've heard that quote over and over. What is the fucking difference between them exactly? They both sought to take colonize and enslave the world. The Imperial period had military dictatorship and the Republic era was supposedly democratic, though in both realities it was just super rich people people wanting to expand.
>>
>>1471164
I fucked up that sentence because I'm on my shitty phone, but you get the point
>>
>>1470997
The Romans deserved to get rekt by Arminius.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.