[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm doing some research for a game based in a Middle Eastern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I'm doing some research for a game based in a Middle Eastern setting, and I was hoping /his/ could shed some light on a few things. Although the setting uses mythological elements, I'm not sure how to balance that against what might be perceived as a conventionally Middle Eastern political or societal atmosphere.

For instance, women in parts of the Middle East largely don't share the same rights as their male counterparts, which seems at odds with the existence of female warriors in, say, Persian history or mythology. This might create a problem for players who want to play as a female character, depending on the type of government or ruling class most prevalent in the game. Should prominent in-game governments just not enforce these types of gender politics at all? Is there any sensible way to balance Islamic themes against ancient or mythological themes?

I don't think /tg/ can help here, as they're doubtfully as versed in Middle Eastern history.
>>
>>1460891
/tg/ is actually very well versed on Persian history.

I wouldn't bring it up, to be honest. Historical realism is nice and all, but player experience should be the priority. Unless it's a plot point, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable with the GM bringing up my character's gender just for kicks.

This doesn't need to apply to NPCs, btw. Feel free to have different standards for PCs and NPCs, that could actually make for interesting situations.

t. Player who always plays female characters
>>
>>1460927
>/tg/ is actually very well versed on Persian history.

how the fuck did that happen?
>>
>>1460891
>implying women were equal anywhere at any time period except in the West since around the 1960's

Note when we began to decline...
>>
>>1460933
They like role-playing games, and that usually involves a fair amount of research.

Bear in mind, it's not /his/ tier knowledge, but it's enough to run a game.
>>
>>1460943
In what ways are we declining, milopony

http://slatestarcodex.com/2013/10/20/the-anti-reactionary-faq/

I'm sorry your delusions of persecution are hilariously unsubstantiated
>>
>>1460954
what role-playing games have anything to do with persian history though

whenever i DO meet a fa/tg/uy who's interested in history it's some huge neckbeard fuck who's either only interested in vikings or (if he stays up to date on memes) has a byzantium fetish despite being neither greek nor orthodox
>>
>>1460954
>/his/ tier knowledge

You mean it's actually correct and not just /pol and memes?
>>
>>1460967

While they can be pretty memeish (even more so with warrior-women/pc) they can be way more informative than 96% of /his/ threads.
>>
>>1460967
>4chan
>actually correct
Yup, okay.
>>
>>1460965

This is why I was interested in writing this kind of campaign setting. I never see it done in RPGs, unless you count the bizarre attempt D&D made with Al-Qadim. (Which also included elves, dwarves and other shoehorned fantasy elements that didn't belong in the setting at all)
>>
>>1460891
>For instance, women in parts of the Middle East largely don't share the same rights as their male counterparts, which seems at odds with the existence of female warriors in, say, Persian history or mythology.

This is because of the duality between settled culture and nomad culture in the Middle East. Heroic Persian women were nobles of an ancient, mythical age where the ruling class were tied to semi-nomadic tribes rather than the urban, agricultural elite. You see this, too, with early Islam which seems to have a few female heroines of their own which sharply contrasts with their later culture.
>>
>>1460965
Hey I read up on mesopotamian and egyptian mythology for my setting.
We're not all like that.
>>
>>1460927
>/tg/ is actually very well versed on Persian history.
/tg/ is barely even well versed in roleplaying games. They're /v/ tier for history.
>>
>>1461988
/tg/ is literally one of the best boards here.
>>
>>1461996
Not even close, and I'm there a lot because I'm a tabletop fag.
>>
>>1461999
/tg/ was the de facto /his/ once upon a time
>>
>>1463002
No it wasn't. I'd say /gsg/ or /twg/ were more like the de facto "/his/" before /his/ was a thing.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.