[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How has the concept of heroism changed over time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: images (2).jpg (21KB, 353x417px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
21KB, 353x417px
How has the concept of heroism changed over time?
>>
>>1460831
What makes you think so?
>>
>>1460831
The people like me are still heroic like those older people, while the people I don't like are not heroic and therefore bad.
>>
>>1460831
>this pic is not Arminius, Spartacus or Viriathus
>>
>>1462183
>implying arminius was heroic for betraying his allies
>>
Heroism has went from doing Cool and Epic Things to doing Things People Living In 2016 Find Morally Just; Being Cool and Epic is Optional, at least in the States.
>>
>>1460831
It's become watered down
>donate 100 to charity? You're a hero
>call the police when you witness a crime? You're a hero
>adopt a dog? You're a hero
>>
>>1462307
Pretty much this.

Great men no longer exist in the ense of great men of old.

They are coming back though, once we start putting people on space craft which are never destined to come back we will have our heroes again.
>>
>>1460831

The classical Greek version of a Hero was amoral.

Heroes were just extreme men. They were extremely good at being men. At times this meant flying into a rage and killing your children or killing innocents. At times this meant moving boulders, slaying hydras or strangling lions. The morality part came with christianity.
>>
>a hero used to be someone who lived for himself and those he loved
>a hero today is someone who sacrifices for the sake of strangers and abstract causes
>>
File: Mitchellhenderson.jpg (17KB, 350x416px) Image search: [Google]
Mitchellhenderson.jpg
17KB, 350x416px
never forget a true an hero
>>
>>1462307
Pfft, in my country its now
> you were bullied and didnt literally suicide? youre a hero
>>
File: superman.jpg (101KB, 615x834px) Image search: [Google]
superman.jpg
101KB, 615x834px
Is Superman and other superheroes the modern day equivalent to ancient heroes?
>>
>>1462293
Arminius did nothing wrong.
>>
File: Facebook-271ddb.png (173KB, 500x758px) Image search: [Google]
Facebook-271ddb.png
173KB, 500x758px
>>1462438
anon pls
>>
>>1462370
God, it's like I'm really back in the 10th grade.
>>
File: arete.jpg (396KB, 764x1055px) Image search: [Google]
arete.jpg
396KB, 764x1055px
>>1462337
your pink hair is showing

"Meantime the other [Arete] had drawn near, and she said : ‘I, too, am come to you, Herakles : I know your parents and I have taken note of your character during the time of your education. Therefore I hope that, if you take the road that leads to me, you will turn out a right good doer of high and noble deeds, and I shall be yet more highly honoured and more illustrious for the blessings I bestow. But I will not deceive you by a pleasant prelude: I will rather tell you truly the things that are, as the gods have ordained them. For of all things good and fair, the gods give nothing to man without toil and effort. If you want the favour of the gods, you must worship the gods : if you desire the love of friends, you must do good to your friends: if you covet honour from a city, you must aid that city : if you are fain to win the admiration of all Hellas for virtue, you must strive to do good to Hellas : if you want land to yield you fruits in abundance, you must cultivate that land: if you are resolved to get wealth from flocks, you must care for those flocks : if you essay to grow great through war and want power to liberate your friends and subdue your foes, you must learn the arts of war from those who know them and must practise their right use: and if you want your body to be strong, you must accustom your body to be the servant of your mind, and train it with toil and sweat.’"
>>
>>1462370
Kek
>>
>>1460831
Heroism went from being selfish (Greek) to selfless (chivalry). Masculinity hasn't changed much since ancient times, the only part that really changed is what you do in victory/defeat.
>>
>>1462434
Yes, because both are fictional
>>
>>1460831
Not to much I would argue.
Of course in antiquity being heroic usually pertained to conflict and war, as these things were far more common than in the modern era, yet there were still many intellectuals that were considered heroic for advancing our perceptions and ideals.

I would argue both of these things exist in the modern day, however our concept of moral relativity being as it is now certainly detracts from the organic acceptance of someone being a hero.
I think it has shifted toward our society elevating people who innovate new advancements, fight against the genuine abuses of citizens or groups of citizens, or improve efficiency within our established systems.
>>
>>1462434
Thats because heroism became unattainable at one point and then became watered down
>>
File: 1446001385524.jpg (275KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1446001385524.jpg
275KB, 1000x1333px
>>1462337
>The morality part came with christianity.
You are a fucking faggot and not a greek Theban manlove faggot, but a sissy.
>>
>>1460831
Heroism never changed, it's a mix of manliness(Heracles), courage(Constantine XI Palaiologos), and self-sacrifice(Achilles, Jesus).
>>
short version:
In classical oligarchical times I believe feats of nobility were considered heroic(like fighting a war and saving your comrades). Nowadays in capitalist pussy times the things I most hear with "hero" is people dying of cancer or getting out of poverty.
also this>>1462307
>>
File: zpage310.gif (430KB, 656x917px) Image search: [Google]
zpage310.gif
430KB, 656x917px
>>1462633
>>1462654
>>1462480
Eat a bag of dicks. The concept of heroism has changed, a lot. The "heroes" of old were just demigods who performed feats of greatness and valor. Morality, much less perfect morality, did not a hero make.

This concept of the hero was baptized, and it became a requirement that in addition to feats of grandeur and valor, you had to at least try to uphold the moral tenets. Thus Achilles, Herakles, and Jason gave way to Arthur, Galahad, etc.

This concept of heroism in turn degraded into the modern form, whereby its thrown around as a meaningless term, and nothing is heroic anymore.
>>
>>1462686
What do you mean? You still have modern heroes. Think of national heroes, every country has a score of them.
>>
>>1462312
>Great men no longer exist in the ense of great men of old.

This is something people have always said. "Great men" only ever exist in the past tense, once their mythologies have had time to develop. i.e., there is actually no such thing
>>
>>1462715
>Mandela
>Gandhi
>Jesus
>Hitler
>Socrates
>>
>>1460831
well, first of all in antiquity "hero" was ALWAYS royalty of some kind
>>
>>1460831
It hasn't.
>>
>>1462703

Those are hardly modern though. They're centuries old.
And, more and more, it's becoming less PC to call them that.

Just remember the hubbub that Columbus day causes every time. Or Jackson's face on money.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.