[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mining landfills and getting rid of those dirty people living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: just_another_day_in_the_office.jpg (109KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
just_another_day_in_the_office.jpg
109KB, 800x533px
Did you know that landfills contain and are starting to contain a considering amount of precious metals, such as gold and copper?
There are plans that in the near future we will be mining landfills for those metals because
it would be more probable to find them there rather than in "traditional mines".

This is obviously because of our reckless consumption of electronic devices.
We have never really created a good recycling system for cellphones, computers, digiboxes etc etc. Wether the reason for that is the rapid growth of technology without good creation of recycle system for it or just not giving a shit about the waste, doesn't matter. Electronic waste is one of the fastest growing pollution/waste in the world.

So, maybe we've found a solution, our greed, is pushing us to dig those tiny bits of precious metals from the old iPads we've thrown away because it's cheaper to get a new one than fix it.
The juicy part comes here and it is my prediction;
In near future, some western mining company will go to third world countries and buy the land where the landfills are on and proceed to mine there.
Of course, in those unfortunate parts of the world, the most unfortunate people have been living on these landfills for generations.
Living at the bottom of this planet, on top of a fortune, and they'll be thrown out of the last habitable urban area.

Can we discuss about this?
And general talk about the hopeless situation of this planet, greed, disgusting human behavior. Post something more juicy.

some sources:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3160259/Britain-could-be-mining-landfill-for-gold-in-a-decade.html
http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Landfills-Contain-Precious-Metal-Deposits-40-50-Times-Richer-than-Mines.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26Eks801oc

TL;DR: read the subject.
>>
Here is another video about landfill mining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7s5PL6A_-g

Now I know people here might think this is not a /his/ issue.
I'm not here to talk about the mining industry or energy and so on.
I want to talk about how badly could we treat people. What more can we do to make someones life more worse than it already is.
The first thing I thought about when someone told me about this "future of gold mining" was those people living on top of the mountains of waste, being pushed off for the profits of others.
It made me laugh, laugh at my complete lack of hope for the humanity, and human race.

There is not enough talk about this on /his/
Usually it somehow always tends to go like this;
>white people did alot of bad stuff
>not all bad stuff is because of white people
>we wuz kings
>racism
>capitalism
and general trolling and you know, the usual 4chan stuff.
I just want to talk about the worse of the worst.
The future that is not bright, the realist future!
>>
>>1460027
Can't save everyone
Might as well save yourself
>>
>>1460039
Is this your philosophy?
>>
There is a whole science behind recycling and apparently experts far more knowledgable than us haven't figured out how to make it economical on a large scale yet. Though you might be able to do something small scale and labor intensive like those people are doing except rooting through 1st world trash.
>>
File: Mars trilogy.jpg (238KB, 1600x763px) Image search: [Google]
Mars trilogy.jpg
238KB, 1600x763px
>>1459993

Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Mars” quadrilogy mentions mining old garbage landfills for resources, using robot technology to dig thru and sort the materials, with one of the characters making his fortune with a company named Dumpmines Inc.

I also remember seeing an episode of Nova(?) years back about landfills, where some college history / archeology students were drilling core samples and pulling up stuff like apples with one bite taken out of them, that while they had turned black, hadn't rotted in the _decades_ since they were buried, as the design of landfills (clay lined and capped) preserves the stuff that's buried.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 265x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 265x259px
>>1459993
>dirty people living in them

they obviously don't want to live there, you 16 year old edge lord. having been to one of the largest landfills in the world (Guatemala city) and worked with the people that are born, live, and die chasing trash trucks from the rich part of town, I can tell you these are people with
>no economic mobility
>no education

to paint them as scavengers is partly true, but they are also victims of circumstance. so instead of trying to "solve" a problem you probably know shit little about and affects you even less then that, maybe try understanding the people themselves.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.