[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does human life have inherent value? Why or why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Does human life have inherent value? Why or why not?
>>
File: 1459315305898.jpg (87KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1459315305898.jpg
87KB, 500x281px
Value is a relative term, you're literally asking nothing.

Value for what?
>>
Why should it? We're just evolved animals, where do we put the threshold?

What has intrinsic value is happiness which can be experienced by any consciousness, not only humans.

>>1458308
Value is impossible to define, it's a base concept like true/false
>>
>inherent value
>inherent
>value
>>
File: Come now.jpg (22KB, 306x273px) Image search: [Google]
Come now.jpg
22KB, 306x273px
>>1458313
>Value is impossible to define, it's a base concept like true/false
But that's wrong. Value is a conceptually dependent term. For example:

Does human life have value in regards to a nobleman in medieval europe? yes, it farms his fields and defends his gold. Does human life have value in regards to a rock somewhere in the void between the milky way galaxy and andromeda? No. It's a relative term, based in context.

Happiness doesn't even have any kind of intrinsic value. Happiness often is valuable for the reproduction of humans, however. Hence, relative, conceptual dependence.

Obviously OP is referring to some sort of abstract, intrinsic moral "worth", which, give me evidence before claiming such a thing exists, but this is a boring, solved and ancient argument that is beneath my massive intellect.
>>
>>1458301
Every person's life has/had value to the people that brought them into the world and took care of them when they were too young to take care of themselves.
Every person's life has value to those people because those people were human, and caring about others' lives (especially children's, especially their own children's) is a human trait.
>>
>>1458344
I literally grew up, read Stirner and stopped caring about my parents, disproving your claim outright and objectively.
>>
No more than a snail or an oak.
>>
>>1458333
I disagree. You cannot define emotions, merely express what they are which is why you can't deconstruct happiness anything else besides "it feels good", you can't prove why happiness has intrinsic worth, it merely does. It's the only thing that can as well.
>>
>>1458301
Yeah, but only if you're a righteous man and a keeper of your brother.

So being crippled by fear and becoming a self serving jerk, because of some morbid manifestation of cowardice, a coward only worries about himself, that guy who would knock a women and her children to the ground in order to only save himself, that's an example of where the value is a lost, at least in the sight of righteousness.

So yeah, it all depends m8. Love your brother, love people, and when they don't love you back its only because they're distracted by the bs evils and annoyances of life and they don't know how to get it in check. Don't take it personal, try not to act like a victim.

1John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.
>>
>>1458346
I didn't claim that anyone cares about their parents. I just said that your parents cared about you. Cared about you enough to help you get to wherever you are today.
>>
>>1458301
Value is a concept invented by humans, and the human life predates the invention of that concept, so obviously not.
>>
>>1458301
value is a human concept.

take a wild guess
>>
>>1458301
Yes. Human life is the quality of having the capacity to collapse wave functions, because it is a subset of all life. Every wave function collapsed is one iteration of the nearly infinite series of all possible instances of wave functions. Eventually, there will be a point at which it is possible to transcend physical life and experience limitlessness, and this moment is predicated on the kind of "intelligence" displayed by human life, which is presently only possible of effecting the physical world. Hence, until we reach the point at which physical and digital realities are indistinguishable, human life will have intrinsic value because it represents the possibility of reaching that point.

tl;dr: Yes, human life has inherent value, and that value is potential.
>>
>>1458301
No we are just another form of matter that can perceive reality.
>>
>>1458301
Nothing has provable inherent value
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.