[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What long term effects did the Vietnam war have on American culture?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: 2334___Source.jpg (299KB, 640x544px) Image search: [Google]
2334___Source.jpg
299KB, 640x544px
What long term effects did the Vietnam war have on American culture?
>>
"It aint me", by the Fortunate Sons
>>
half the country has been made extremely cautious about going to war and half has been made bloodthirsty for more war
>>
>>1458278
where the fuck was the other half during the 90's, or 2000's then

the long term effects are probably the heightened soldier worship in american culture
>>
Hippies, anti war culture
>>
>>1458277
/Thread
>>
A lot of shitty movies and a lot of pretty great psychedelic rock
>>
>>1458498
Psychedelic rock had nothing to do with Vietnam, bro. It was all drugs.
>>
>>1458280
uh lots of people and lots of congress were against the iraq war, because it stunk just like Vietnam and frankly turned-out to be even worse in at least a couple ways. the 90s is a different story butt he context of that decade (surgical casualty-free war as showcased during the gulf war) gave the general public a bit of a delusion about military actions being technologically sterile, for the USA. this myth got dashed by Iraq in 2003 and since then people seem to have returned to the 50/50 split again.
>>
>>1458483
This, Vietnam started the unglorification of "serving your country", anti-draft sentiments, lots of conspiracies involving the military and gov.

>>1458498
>Shitty movies
Are you retarded? We have 2 American masterpieces with Vietnam War as the setting, more if you count movies without Vietnam being the focus of the movie.
>>
>>1458269
>What long term effects did the Vietnam war have on American culture?

One of the worst memes in 4chan history.
>>1458277
>>
>>1458607

I rather think the unglorification of "serving your country" started when the Air Force started napalming villages.
>>
>>1458269

It demonstrated that massive civil unrest can prevent the American government from waging unjust wars.

It illustrated (via the Pentagon Papers leak) that the government will knowingly mislead the American people in order to achieve its foreign policy objectives.
>>
>>1458269
It resulted in the end of the draft and the creation of an all-volunteer military when the political and economic elites realized that it would be hard to justify foreign interventions when drafted soldiers were dying overseas for private interests. Also made Americans more cynical and less willing to die for ideological reasons like fighting Communism.
>>
>>1458634
>Also made Americans more cynical and less willing to die for ideological reasons like fighting Communism
A decade of bringing Democracy to the Middle East has something to say about that.
>>
>>1458642
The key difference being that its an all-volunteer military doing the fighting and dying. If the majority of soldiers were still draftees I guarantee we wouldn't be in the Middle East the way we are today.
>>
>>1458269
Hippie movement, temporary communism in south-east asia, america denying war crimes, a lot of pissed off americans.

Also some pretty decent movies
>>
>>1458277
dubs speak the truth
>>
>>1458702
Plus that volunteer force gets some fairly nice benefits out of having served considering that many might have had trouble forging a future otherwise. The draftees in Vietnam really didn't get much of that.
>>
>>1458843
Yeah, vets now get a way better deal then vietnam vets did.

I still don't know if hippies spitting in veterans faces and calling them babykillers when they got home was as widespread as muh conservative mil-fiction makes it out to be, but a lot of them probably got shafted with any mental health issues from their service
>>
File: vietnam skull tree.jpg (602KB, 3093x2059px) Image search: [Google]
vietnam skull tree.jpg
602KB, 3093x2059px
>>1458886
Part of what made Vietnam different was the fact that it was heavily televised and publicized. The press coverage in WW2 and Korea was carefully controlled to prevent the public from hearing about much of the nastiness. I have heard that many vets just became alienated after things like the My Lai massacre came out, since people started assuming that all soldiers were bloodthirsty maniacs.
>>
>>1458277
first post best post.
>>
>>1458642
Don't need cannon fodder anymore, just robots.
>>
>>1458269
Lowered the voting age to 18
>>
>>1458886
There is actually not a single confirmed case of the whole spitting on veterans thing
>>
>>1458564
I agree with this.
>>
File: the-vietnam-war-in-picture-11.jpg (107KB, 1200x779px) Image search: [Google]
the-vietnam-war-in-picture-11.jpg
107KB, 1200x779px
>>1458269
>It ain't me starts playing.
>>
>>1458702
The majority of soldiers in Vietnam were volunteers. The draftees were just the loudest. Most people signed up because their dads were the "Greatest Generation" who kicked Hitler in the teeth and felt that they had a lot to live up to.
>>
>>1459965
proofs
>>
>>1458607
There was only one masterpiece that had the Vietnam War as the setting my friend
>>
>>1462430
>Spend months in the boonies where charlie is waiting to kill you and your friends but you never truly know where they are
>Every Vietnamese civilian could be a charlie in disguise
>Those who aren't charlie are killed horrifying with their whole families
>Lose friends to diseases, traps, VC and NVA
>Spend nights awake, every noise keeps you praying
>Finally you get home after the hell you went through when some hairy bastard who's never heard of a bath spits in your face saying it's all your fault that your a baby killer
>You don't reach over and snap their spine.
Face it annon. Any hippie who spat in a vets face would be broken in 2.
>>
>>1462819
this seems an awful lot like conjecture and assumption

what if the vet is crippled and can't actually hit back?
>>
>>1458269
It pretty much "made" the night stalker and probably a lot other serial killers
>As a twelve-year-old he was strongly influenced by his older cousin, Miguel ("Mike") Ramirez, a decorated U.S. Army Green Beret combat veteran who often boasted of his gruesome exploits during the Vietnam War. He shared Polaroid photos of his victims, including Vietnamese women he had raped. In some of the photos Mike posed with the severed head of a woman he had abused. Ramirez, who had smoked marijuana since the age of ten, bonded with Mike over many joints and gory war stories.
>>
File: serial.jpg (22KB, 475x300px) Image search: [Google]
serial.jpg
22KB, 475x300px
>>1464673
(cont.) as you can see, the return of 'nam vets coincided with a massive increase in serial homicide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program is probably to blame
>>
File: 1465874722528.jpg (27KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
1465874722528.jpg
27KB, 534x401px
>>
ITT: "please write my essay for me /his/ it's due tomorrow and Mrs. Teacher is going to be furious"
>>
>>1458269
Mostly lame memes about ptsd
>>
>>1465411
It's Summer.
>>
>>1462819
Most of the people who spat on Vietnam war veterans were WWII and Korean War vets. See the book "The Spitting Image'.
>>
>>1462536
what would that be?
>>
>>1468294
'The Empty Field'.
>>
>>1468294
Maybe 'Dienbienphu'.
>>
>>1468294
FMJ
>>
>>1468322
Matterhorn as well. Read it.
>>
>>1469901
Does anyone else think the second half is just as great as the first?
>>
File: kubrick.webm (3MB, 352x240px) Image search: [Google]
kubrick.webm
3MB, 352x240px
>>1471382
I do.
>>
>>1469901
Apocalypse Now(non-redux) is imo a better film than FMJ on the aesthetic level, but it's largely fantasy. It's just more engaging and interesting.

I support historical revisionism wherever it can be applied for literally any reason in any way though so disregard me if you care about historical accuracy at all.
>>
>>1458269
Perhaps something similar to the Teutoberg forest.
>>
>>1462536
>doesnt even know about apocolypse now or platoon
Kill yourself
>>
>>1471822
ollie stone is a shitter
>>
>>1471842
I honestly agree, but platoon is a great movie in spite of that, mostly because of small shit like the village actually having arms in it
>>
>>1458280
American's fucking hated US troops in Vietnam, half the public assumed they were over there just killing and raping civs. 'Nam permanently tarnished the public's view of soldiers.
>>
>>1458269
It instilled a burning hatred for hippies into the American collective consciousness.
>>
>>1458269
The Vietnam war introduced hot blasians and anime.
>>
>>1462536
84cMoPic?
>>
>>1468050
Even worse, the dunce is going to summer school.
>>
File: namwojak.png (239KB, 428x500px) Image search: [Google]
namwojak.png
239KB, 428x500px
>all the commie fink faggots in this thread
>mfw
>>
>>1458269
It heavily influenced US interventions in Latin America during the cold war - colombia, guatemala, etc.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.