[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the bible meant to be read seriously or for entertainment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: montypyhton.jpg (485KB, 1272x719px) Image search: [Google]
montypyhton.jpg
485KB, 1272x719px
Is the bible meant to be read seriously or for entertainment? At one point God calls the Israelites "stiff-necked," which seems to imply that the author was engaging in self-deprecation
>>
>>1456448
For entertainment.

...Wait, do people actually take it seriously?
>>
File: image.png (308KB, 396x531px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
308KB, 396x531px
people can shit and praise whatever religion they want but in my opinion Christianity is the biggest meme ever made.
>>
You could take it seriously, but probably not literally
>>
>>1456448
The author wasn't engaging in self-deprivation, he was writing political propaganda about and to his own people.
>>
>>1456475
>le incredulous above it all millennial man
>>
>>1456475
*tips fedora
>>
>>1456854
Given that it is the most popular religion in the world, I'd say it literally is the biggest meme ever made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viruses_of_the_Mind
>>
>>1456448
It's not suppose to be taken literally
Anyone who believes otherwise is biblically illiterate and their opinion is worthless
>>
>>1456448
But Bible is nothing but God shitting on the Israelites.

>look my dear kikes, I've chosen you as my special people. here's some simple rules you have to follow and you'll live a good life. But if you disobey you're gonna get BTFO
>Israelites do EVERYTHING THEY CAN to disobey God, indulging in idolatry, pagan worship, corruption, faggotry, necromancy
>God finally has enough and punishes them
>OY VEY WE HAVE ANGERED GOD NOW THIS IS OUR FAULT *tears clothes* *puts ashes on head*

That's pretty much all of post-Torah Old Testament summed up
>>
>>1457138
>>1457166
>le gullible and superstitious peasant
>>
The Bible comes from several different authors representing several different forms of religious, theological and literary/mythological thought.

This is important since different parts of the Bible were written for different reasons.

While some parts are deadly serious (such as the religious laws describing specific ritual forms written in the Torah, ex: Exodus and Leviticus), others are more light-hearted (ex: the Joseph narrative at the end of Genesis).

In general the books of the Bible revolve around themes of life and death, salvation, morality, and the relationship between God and man. From the earliest secondary literature (as in the Palestinian Talmud for example) it is clear that all of this content has always been understood as seriously relevant to all human life.

Nonetheless the early Rabbinic community understood, as the early Christians did later, that certain books are more important than others. Hence Moses takes a kind of importance beyond Isaiah who plays a greater role than author of Ecclesiastes.
>>
>>1457168

At the very least you must recognize the centrality of the Biblical tradition to western thought-- to its literature, its sense of morality, its government, and all its other aspects.

Recognizing this influence, combined with even a cursory investigation into the intense brilliance of its most sophisticated forms (The Divine Comedy, the Summa Theologica, City of God), one cannot but approach Christianity with awe, respect and wonder; this should be true for even the most ardent atheist.

You are only robbing yourself by pretending to reduce it to some kind of sociological or positivist phenomenon.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 698x476px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 698x476px
I still think Christianity is a giant contradicting meme
>>
>>1457271

If you attempt to examine it as thought it were a contemporary political issue, or if you refuse to examine it from outside of your metaphysical axioms, then you cannot see it for what it is.

Before you can claim to disagree you have to make an attempt to understand, for something as vast as Christianity that takes a lot of time and patience.

It's much easier to say "This religion is automatically false according to my worldview, therefore it's all silly and it must be some kind of psycho-social phenomenon."
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.