[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Logistics of historical war

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: 1398948252391.jpg (538KB, 1600x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1398948252391.jpg
538KB, 1600x1070px
I've been wondering a lot lately about little details.
Things like the exact nature of the food soldiers would eat and how it was transported. How certain arms and armours were stored for travel or stowed away while on the field. For example what was the best way to store a mace on your person?
Any titbits welcome from trade records to ancestral dishes that could be kept without deteriorating on journeys. How much do you really know about your favourite periods and campaigns?
>>
>>1455312
Armies used to steal supplies from the local peasants
>>
>the exact nature of the food soldiers would eat
anything they could steal or forage
>and how it was transported.
it wasn't
>>
>>1455517
>it wasn't
You sure? The Romans for example took entire herds of livestock with them as a steady source of food.
>>
>>1455523
Yeah this. Also the first crusade had to deal with unfair Byzantine deals because they needed to be fed.

While roving and stealing is common there seems to be a few examples suggesting it was in addition to more consistent resources.
>>
>>1455517
Not true romans would often carry along cured meats and dry cheeses in their backpacks on campaign
>>
Baggage trains
>>
iirc the spaniards during the 16th and 17th centuries were rationed beans which had a higher nutritional value than the simple wheat that was going around the rest of europe, maybe even lending to Spanish success.
>>
File: 2ae4b6ae005657215b46e69fffd7ccfe.jpg (252KB, 736x1020px) Image search: [Google]
2ae4b6ae005657215b46e69fffd7ccfe.jpg
252KB, 736x1020px
>>1455402
>>1455517

Moronic, historically illiterate answers are moronic and historically illiterate
>>
>>1455772
>>
>>1455773
>>
>>1455774
>>
>>1455776
>>
Roman soldiers were paid a set amount of grain, in addition to what they could loot.

Read the Gallic Wars by Caesar. It has quite a few nice details about army logistics.
>>
>>1455780
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.