[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Latin America During WWII

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

Why didn’t more Latin American nations get in on the fighting in WWII?

We know Argentina was friendly with the Nazis but there would have been no point in them joining the war on the Axis side, as the U.S. could have easily swamped them.

But joining the Allies on the other hand, seems like a good way to get U.S. weapons, gear and other aid and build up their militaries on someone else’s dime, yet only Brazil and Mexico actually got into the shooting part of the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America_during_World_War_II

“Brazil and Mexico were the only countries to send troops to the European Theater; however, several countries had skirmishes with German U-Boats and cruisers in the Caribbean and South Atlantic. Mexico sent a fighter squadron of 300 volunteers to the Pacific, the Escuadrón 201 were known as the Aztec Eagles ('Aguilas Aztecas).
The Brazilian active participation on the battle field in Europe was divined after the Casablanca Conference, this meeting is known as the Potenji River Conference, and defined the creation of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force.”
>>
>>1452748
>Willingly joining a shitfest that does not bother you at all.
Yes OP why didn't they?
>>
>>1452748
Notice how America had it the best out of all the involved parties? Why would Latin America fuck it up for themselves by taking sides?
>>
File: 1468900493691.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1468900493691.png
38KB, 499x338px
>why didn't Latinos spend millions of dollars to travel thousands of miles to die in a conflict that had basically nothing to do with them?

Gee I dunno OP, what a mystery !
>>
Why commit to one side when you can sell shit to both?

The only reason Brazil committed to the Allies is because the U.S. pressured us. They even sank our ships while pretending to be Germans to "convince" us of the importance of joining the fight.
>>
>>1452786
>why didn't Latinos spend millions of dollars to travel thousands of miles to die in a conflict that had basically nothing to do with them?

Except they weren’t spending their own money, the Mexican fighter squadron and entire Brazilian corps was equipped and supplied by the U.S. on our dime and not only was the equipment and other aid of value to them, having a core of combat veterans is a good idea for any nation.

You’d think even small Latin American nations would have formed volunteer units just for the post-war advantages it would provide their nations.

And I’ll also note that during the Korean War, Columbia sent a substantial force (in relation to the other UN forces) that fought hard and successfully.

>>1452799
>Why commit to one side when you can sell shit to both?

Except they couldn’t sell shit to the Axis, as the Allies had Germany, Japan and Italy effectively blockaded right from the start of the war.
>>
>>1452748
Why bother in joining the war when you could earn tons of money by selling supplies?
>>
>>1452748
>We know Argentina was friendly with the Nazis
Argentina was no a philo-nazy country. Only some ultra nationalists, but the society in general was anglophile. Anyways, despite the symphaty for the axis or not from the nationalists military in the gov., the trade with the UK was still privileged over any personal opinion.
>>
Venezuelan here.
My paternal grand-uncle wore a black armband in mourning every Sunday for the rest of his life after Hitler offed himself.
My maternal grand-uncle was a Colombian Army officer who collected Afrika Korps memorabilia after a stint as a peacekeeper in Sinai and named his kids Adolf and Rommel kek.

Note none of us are "aryan" in any way, shape, or form, the racial part of it was basically ignored (Jews had mostly always had a comfy life in South America, and some Jewish refugees were allowed to settle by several Latin countries when the USA turned them away pre-1941) and Hitler was seen as a sort of Super-Mussolini. Among the more educated classes Fascism had a huge appeal in Latin America, most of us were run by dictators anyways, they seemed to be able to rapidly reorganize and industrialize their nations so they seemed cool, they removed gommie on the Eastern Front so nothing wrong with that, and nobody took muh freedomz n shit seriously since it was the USA invading us most of the time anyways.

Venezuela itself declared war on the Nazis in March 1945 or so so they could see "see we wuz allies n shit gibme dat surplus and aid". However U-Boats had sunk several Venezuelan oil tankers earlier, in 41 and 42 while prowling the outlet of the Lake of Maracaibo, where the oil was shipped north.
And our ambassador to the Philippines (to Japanese-puppet Philippines actually) was killed during in 1945 when the surrounded IJN Marines and IJA garrison chimped out and did the Rape of Manila.

Besides that, I know a little Cuban Navy ship actually managed to sink a U-Boat.

And 5 years later Colombia actually sent combat troops to Korea where they removed commie quite well from what I understand.
>>
>>1452799
Didn't Iran get hit by the eternal anglo for being neutral kek
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.