[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Judas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Could it be argued that Judas Iscariot is out of all the apostles the most important one out of all of Christianity.

I'm not religious but I was discussing this with a friend about this today of how often Judas is shunned or widely disliked in the Christian Community.

I've made the argument that without Judas, Jesus would have never been betrayed and crucified, meaning that without Judas, Jesus could not have died and resurrected which in turn, salvation and forgiveness of our sins would've never occurred.

My friend says that Jesus needed someone to betray him in order to fufill the prophecy and that he knew Judas would do so, if judas was never in the picture Jesus would've known and found somebody who would also have led to his betrayal.

Thoughts on all of this.
>>
>>1450550
>Could it be argued that Judas Iscariot is out of all the apostles the most important one out of all of Christianity.

It could, that doesn't mean that it should.

From a christian perspective, Jesus was/is God.

God didn't/doesn't need anything/anyone to do what he wants. Maximus the Confessor speculated that the Incarnation would have occurred regardless of the fall so as to bring man closer to union with God.
>>
>>1450550
Look into the Gospel of Judas.
>>
>>1450550
jesus knew he was going to be betrayed, it was preordained. the betrayer could have been anyone
>>
>>1450584
Isn't Jesus seen as god's son throughout most of bible.
To quote :
1 John 5:11-12 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. The one who has the Son has this eternal life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have this eternal life.

Does god need the prophecy to be fulfilled in order for his son to grant salvation to humanity through his betrayal from Judas or is judas just merely the person who came at the right time for Jesus to use?

Again I'm not too knowledgeable in theology so I would appreciate any insight.
>>
>>1450647
Yes.
He is the Son of God, the second person of the trinity, the Logos.

"John 1:1-5Revised Standard Version (RSV)

The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God; 3 all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. 4 In him was life,[a] and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
>>
>>1450550
Yes, but remember, Christian ethics are not consequentialist. And Judas is an excellent illustration why: to understand the consequences of your actions is to be God.
>>
>>1450550
This might be of interest to you OP

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/_pdf/GospelofJudas.pdf

It is supposedly the lost Gospel of Judas. It depicts a Judas that was chosen by Christ to betray him, because Judas and Jesus were closer than any of the other apostles, and Christ knew Judas was the one that would understand it had to be done to fulfill all things.

It was discovered in 1970ish and was put on the market for a few million dollars but no one would pay that much. It didn't get purchased until 2006 i think and it suffered considerable damage in those last 30ish years.

It's not considered canon obviously, but it's worth checking out. I recommend reading the Book of Enoch too.
>>
>>1450690
It was written 300+ yrs after the other gospels.
>>
>>1450692
The time it is written means nothing.

>Decree to burn all copies goes out in 250 ad
>Burn 99% of copies including original
>Miss one of the copies written hundreds of years after original

It's not like they couldn't make copies.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.