[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In no facet of life nor in any academic discipline is 'faith'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: handsome-husbando.jpg (67KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
handsome-husbando.jpg
67KB, 332x500px
In no facet of life nor in any academic discipline is 'faith' extolled as a virtue or even promoted, and yet, this 'faith' is expected and held as the highest virtue in religion.

What's with the major dissonance?
>>
That's because faith has nothing to do with reason, both are two completely different things
>>
>>1448667

How else are you going to keep your control over the "sheep" when they start asking tough questions? Those churches ain't gonna fund themselves, you know!
>>
>>1448727
My question is why people continue to tolerate it.

Like I stated, in no area of life is 'faith' expected or even considered useful. But suddenly, upon entering a church on Sunday, it's held as the highest virtue; and worse, people actually act on it and want to force others to act on it as well.

Most people would not believe it if a stranger came to them and told them they'd seen a ghost; but people will believe their preacher when he says YHWH smote Sodom with fire or that Jesus died and resurrected, despite having no evidence.

WHY? I don't understand: the claims of the Christians have nothing inherent in them that make them any more believable than those of any other religion or other ideas supposedly considered 'crazy'.
>>
Faith in the company you work for is the most promoted value of a business
>>
File: 1462205416970.jpg (7KB, 180x159px) Image search: [Google]
1462205416970.jpg
7KB, 180x159px
>>1448778
t.NEET

That's less 'faith' in the religious sense of believing despite seeing no evidence and more of having loyalty to the institution. They're not the same.
>>
>>1448766

Because people trust that their priests have their best wishes at heart so they accept the non-answer and assume that the fact it seems so obviously ridiculous to them is proof that it's a deep "mystery".
>>
>>1448766
"Faith" isn't a uniquely Christian concept! All religions hinge on the acceptance of irrational concepts with wishful thinking. Heck, even secular society expects as much. You cannot live a purely rational life, and of course because religion exists apart from rationality it should maintain the irrational as its domain and its goal.
>>
>>1448778

No, blind faith is cancerous to business. People who ignore signs of a company being out-competed or inefficient because they have "faith" in the system are literally why many businesses fail.
>>
>>1448806
Do people not know what a 'pious crime' is? People will defend something even if they know it is false simply out of a desire to defend the aesthetic that they like.
>>
>>1448667
Isn't the notion of "faith", as an irrational concept to put ahead of ones own wellbeing the basis of Stirner's argument about "spooks"? Faith is a spook, but a useful one, like the concept of "man" in secular humanism.
>>
>>1448844

The concept of man is an heuristic not an act of faith.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.