[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Food and warfare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: hai.jpg (80KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
hai.jpg
80KB, 500x368px
What kinds of foods did medieval and ancient armies eat? Was it just what they could take from locals? Did they have hardtack and salt pork like 18th century armies?
>>
>>1441866
Aristocracy would have supplies, men at arms would maybe live off the land or trade locally. Roman legions would be well provisioned for all i guess.
>>
>>1441866
But yea dried meat, wheat/grain breads, salt etc would be common i guess
>>
>>1441866
I am also really curious. I suspect the answers will change drastically given regions and times so it's sort of a tricky one to answer.
>>
In Japan, rice. Even the big generals such as Tokugawa Ieyasu (who was allegedly fat because of this diet)
>>
>>1441866
Would depend on the type of army I suppose.
>>
Oats and more oats

they'd scavenge the areas for food as well
>>
Entire herds of livestock would travel with armies to ensure they were well fed. Romans did this. An ancient soldier was probably better fed and has access to higher quality food than a WWII soldier.
>>
>>1443439
Funny because oats are actually quite healthy and wheat and rice not.

One benefit of oats is that they do not cause sugar spikes.
>>
>>1443393
>Tokugawa Ieyasu (who was allegedly fat because of this diet)
Actually dude was fat possibly because he enjoyed richer, fattier foods. Tempura was allegedly his favorite food after it was invented and he was Shogun.
>>
>>1443512
>>1443439
How would they have prepared oats in the field?
Were they the smashed kind? Or oat flour?

It's technically pretty easy for a soldier to prepare some flat johnnycakes or a bowl of (milled) rice, but oats escape me as to how they'd prepare them without keeping them soaked for hours.
>>
Most of the time armies would just take food from the farmers who worked what ever land they were occupying. An interesting story, is that one of the reasons Northern Germans were so good at surviving occupation from other countries was that Frederick II encouraged the use of the potato, which was learned from the "New World". This allowed farmers to hide their food underground and continue to let it go, as well as have an extremely well rounded diet. The potato was a huge factor behind Prussian military dominance.
>>
>>1443555
Yea read about that in 1491. But it was different. It said (if we imply my memory is correct) that peasants liked potatoes because they were underground and could not as easily be stolen by armies.
>>
I like potatoes because you can boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew
>>
>>1443555
>prussian military dominance
Why is it that they were destroyed by France every 40 years of so throughout the short existence of Prussia?
>>
>>1443591
How about the one time Prussia slapped France's shit so hard they turned a Republic and the capital turned into a commie shithole for a lot of time?
>>
File: Bakkwa.jpg (172KB, 560x373px) Image search: [Google]
Bakkwa.jpg
172KB, 560x373px
>>1441866
Imperial Chinese soldiers famously invented jerky-type recipes in China.
>>
>>1443615
> the one time
> the one time
>the ONE time
There you have it.
Plus it only brought the return of our glorious republic !
>>
>>1441866
Scottish soldiers would bring flour, mix it up with water and cook it on a flat stone.
>>
>>1441866
bread and water mostly, sometimes some potatoes maybe
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.