[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Book/Rec Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: de5161f2f3b6374f1076239cd10e3842.jpg (105KB, 736x1134px) Image search: [Google]
de5161f2f3b6374f1076239cd10e3842.jpg
105KB, 736x1134px
What have you been reading lately? What would you recommend to fellow /his/torians? What do you want to read about?

I've been reading picrelated lately, it's pretty great, would recommend.

I'm looking for good books on Papal/Catholic history and pre-1800s Russia and would appreciate any suggestions
>>
>>1440922
Alexander the Great: a historical biography by Peter Green.

Pretty unbiased and I really like how he includes a brief biography of Alexander's father for context too
>>
File: ufotalking.jpg (221KB, 1024x1579px) Image search: [Google]
ufotalking.jpg
221KB, 1024x1579px
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 326x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 326x499px
>>1440922
This. 100% I saw an anon recommend it and it changed the way I viewed history forever.
>>
>>1440922
Fire in the Minds of Men - Origins of the Revolutionary Faith by James H. Billington. French to Bolshevic Revolutions and the secret societies involved, Jesuits, Illuminists and Masons etc. James Billington is the US Librarian of Congress and a pretty great historian.
>>
>>1440922
Freemasonry and the Birth of Modern Science by Robert Lomas, about the founding of the Royal Society and the players involved, pretty dry but interesting.
>>
>>1440922
Secret Societies and Subversive Movements by Nesta H Webster is a study of European/Near East history going back to the middle ages. Chapters on Assassins, Templars, Eastern and European Masonic orders, Illuminists and Jesuits etc. Old book (1920's) but a great and insightful read.
>>
File: 51MJOtfTjDL.jpg (44KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
51MJOtfTjDL.jpg
44KB, 331x500px
This is a really descriptive and well researched overview of Kennedy's life and presidency. Has first hand accounts and gives a really good understanding of the events and people that shaped JFK's thinking.
>>
>>1441811
That could've been me. I think secular cycles is interesting as well. You can also check the authors blog.
>>
Christopher Hibbert has really nice novel-like books, extremely readable
>>
File: bing.jpg (163KB, 510x680px) Image search: [Google]
bing.jpg
163KB, 510x680px
Very good read (unsurprising considering it came from one of the most brilliant UK House of Lords judges). It's written in non-law language and contains some very interesting takes on Middle Eastern interventions.
>>
File: 0226673294.jpg (18KB, 150x218px) Image search: [Google]
0226673294.jpg
18KB, 150x218px
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.